PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

new arctic in the house

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

foxy love

new arctic in the house

Postby foxy love » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello

I joined not to long ago, as I have a new arctic running around the house. His name is Koda and he is 14 weeks old. I was interested in learning more from current arctic owners on simple points through training and mannerisms what to watch for and how to improve his everyday social adaptations. He is now in his outdoor enclosure all the time except when he playing in the yard with my Shepard. He is not picking up the litter box at all in his kennel I have a 2'x2' box filled with sand and he uses it sometimes but normally just goes where he is standing. When he is in the house with us it's the same thing with a litter pan out he just goes where he pleases. He is not very aggressive but when you scratch his belly he whines a little but and kind of nips almost like a play bite. I just don't know if this is because he doesn't want to be touched there he is fine when you scratch his head. He doesn't like to be held for very long maybe 30 seconds at the most then he gets real squirmy but he is very active and very playful. I'm new to the fox family and I was just hoping that these things are somewhat normal to a fox kit growing up. Thank you for any help, and I am looking forward to having a happy fox on my hands!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new arctic in the house

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Welcome.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:57 pm

He's playing the "pet-my-tummy-so-I-can-pretend-I-dislike-it" game, lol. :lol: It's a weird thing foxes do! They want you to tummy-rub them, but then when you do, they start kicking your hands away with their feet. It means he's happy! The nipping and kicking is because he is excited. :)

The litter box training is very typical for an arctic. You can keep working with him, but don't be disappointed if he doesn't get "better" than that. I don't know of anyone who has had success with their arctic's being litter-trained. Once they're outdoors full-time though, it'll be SO much nicer not having to clean up after them!

Congrats on your new addition, by the way. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Welcome! Congrats on the fox!

Its funny you should say "fox family" since my families last name is fox. Probably why I love foxes so much. Our farm is even called Fox Field Farm. : )
foxy love

Postby foxy love » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:15 pm

That's is great to hear I did not know if he was just being a brat or really didn't like be scratched. His kennel now is a 5x10 and tomorrow will be attaching his new 16x5 to his old kennel will that be enough room for him as an adult? I don't want him to feel cramped. And thank you for the welcome, and I guess we're not fox family by blood but we share a similar passion! Thank you for the reply I feel much more comfortable about Koda's progression.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”