PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hank, I'm a new baby raccoon owner

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

cledwards/hank

Hank, I'm a new baby raccoon owner

Postby cledwards/hank » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:48 am

Hi everybody. Thank you for letting us join. I have a approx. 5 week old baby raccoon. Hanks momma was killed by our neighbors 3 boxers. :( I have never raised a raccoon before, so I have lots of questions...lol. Hank is starting to walk around everywhere. He is still nursing off our momma cat that had baby kittens a few days after getting Hank. I'm currently supplementing bottle feeding. Momma cat seems to be weaning him off a little bit. I started him on rice baby cereal with baby fruit or vegetables. I have started to try and litter box training him, since he is eating baby food. Hank went at first but now he just climbs out of the litter box. I also want to know what kind of treats do you give when training? We have been hands on with Hank since I got him. What size pen should he have when we go to work or leave the house? What do you use during the winter time to keep him warm? As you can see I have so many questions...LOL We sure love our little guy.
Whisper

Re: Hank, I'm a new baby raccoon owner

Postby Whisper » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:01 am

Im not a racoon owner, so i wont be able to answer any of your questions, but welcom icon-smile im sure pat and the others will help icon-smile
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi, and welcome! I'm sure some other raccoon owners will be able to help you out in the raccoon section. So glad you could save Hank!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:53 pm

cledwards/hank wrote:Hi everybody. Thank you for letting us join. I have a approx. 5 week old baby raccoon. Hanks momma was killed by our neighbors 3 boxers. :( I have never raised a raccoon before, so I have lots of questions...lol. Hank is starting to walk around everywhere. He is still nursing off our momma cat that had baby kittens a few days after getting Hank. I'm currently supplementing bottle feeding. Momma cat seems to be weaning him off a little bit. I started him on rice baby cereal with baby fruit or vegetables. I have started to try and litter box training him, since he is eating baby food. Hank went at first but now he just climbs out of the litter box. I also want to know what kind of treats do you give when training? We have been hands on with Hank since I got him. What size pen should he have when we go to work or leave the house? What do you use during the winter time to keep him warm? As you can see I have so many questions...LOL We sure love our little guy.

welcome..
thats great your cat will let Hank nurse. if you are supplementing momma cat milk, you should be giving hank replacement milk. you can blend fruit and some veggies. the baby cereal is more of a filler. actually, at 5 weeks, he should be OK with eating foods. fruit and veggie is good if he eats it. a little grain free dog food. raw eggs.
mini marshmellows are OK for treats. mine love the marrow bone treats. (but, don't give him a lot)
shredded cook chicken, fish most coons like.

do you have an extra coon-proof room you can keep him in while you are not home? as for the outdoor enclosure,
the bigger the better, the more hiding spots, climbing activities. I have my enclosure connected to my house, it has a roof on it, lots of places to go. but, they also have a doggie door that goes into their own room. I let them in house with me when they want to come in.

also, do you a vet lined up for him? it is a must he gets neutered. otherwise, you will have to deal with aggression issues at breeding seasons.
here is a care sheet, I need to update, but, some info might help:
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/raccoons.htm

we are here to help you, feel free to ask questions, and for course post updates of hank.
please post your questions in the raccoon forum, you will get more views from other raccoon owners.
viewforum.php?f=91

would love to see a picture of him.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

Raising raccoons is awesome, I'm so glad you gave the little guy a helping hand!

Now, you will probably give him better care and attention then many rehab centers, but I just thought I would mention that they do know what they are doing and will release them back out into the wild in a good manner that keeps them away from farmers, dogs and roads (we tried to help some bunnies out but were unable to feed them properly and so gave them to the rehab center). The less tame they are the better for release. However, if you plan to keep the little guy then the dangers of being too tame aren't a problem.
Where I live its illegal to keep orphaned wildlife without a permit (though to be honest tons of people in the area help out the orphans anyways and do a fine job about it), especially those that can get rabies. But again, if you keep him out of contact with animals that could be infected rabies shouldn't be a problem.

We've helped many injured and orphaned animals in the past and its always amazing. I hope your little guy continues to do well. Make sure he has plenty of exercise and a varied, healthy diet to start with.

Best of luck! : )
Kikismom

Postby Kikismom » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Hello and congrats on your baby coon! I was in your shoes 4 1/2 years ago when Kiki the baby coon came into my life. He's definitely not a baby any longer! A beautiful 35 lb neutered male who is the most amazing pet. Racoon ownership is not for everyone, and I am a person who wanted one for 16 years before having the opportunity to experience it. It is a daily labor of love, and if you aren't an extremely patient person and have lots of time to devote to your pet, it may be more than you are up for. Not being negative-please don't misunderstand me-but they have HANDS and are incredibly smart. This poses lots of potential problems for them if they are living in your home, and for your home itself. You must racoon-proof everything that you don't want ruined, as they are into everything when they grow up, and are very fast when they want to be. I suggest getting your coon neutered at around 6 months of age or it will be too aggressive. I hand-raised Kiki from 4-5 weeks of age when he came to me, bottle feeding multiple times each day, mainly with Half 'n Half creamer, until he got to the age where I could give cat food soaked in it. Then I graduated him slowly to what he gets today-fruits, veggies, nuts, cereal, turkey, chicken, etc. I can provide you with a more thorough list if you'd like. Kiki easily took to the litter box, never an accident. His indoor pen when he was a baby was a metal dog crate that I had to double lock when I wasn't home. They love stuffed animals to cuddle with when small. Good luck. The frustrations are outweighed by what an amazing animal you will have in your life!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Welcome and congrats. A coon proofed room of his own for when you aren't available is the best way to go. If you have a dog, try to introduce them, coons and dogs usually get along well and it will give Hank someone to love and play rough with. The longer and more you bottle feed the closer you will be to Hank, its a great way to bond. The more time you spend with him, both cuddling and just being there, the tamer he will be. Hank will need to be vaccinated for distemper, rabies,and other depending on your area. if he ever shows signs of becoming sick, have him treated immediately, distemper will kill fast.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”