PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A Fox Lover - With Questions!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Katherynn

A Fox Lover - With Questions!

Postby Katherynn » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 am

*This will be long. Thank you in advance for bearing with me!*

Hello everyone! My handle is Katherynn and one I've spent a good six years with. A bit about me - I'm a novelist and gamer who has been a pet lover for as long as I can recall. I've raised so many cats I can't even count, hamsters, dogs, mice, guinea pigs, horses, rabbits…just about every tame animal known to man outside of reptiles , arachnids, insects and such. I have a lot of experience handling most animals - some more than others, of course - and have loved every minute of it. However, I've never had an exotic which brings me to here.

I've wanted a fox since before I can remember. There was always something about them that drew me in. Years later, upon learning of the Russian domesticated foxes, I grew quite excited at the prospect of owning such a beautiful creature. Having been around animals all my life, I know the amount of care, attention and affection they need so I believe I am (VERY MODERATELY) prepared to welcome an exotic into my home. Though that isn't saying that I intend on hopping in the car and picking one up this spring!

Over the past few months, I've done extensive research into foxes and fallen more and more in love. I know there is much more information to be had and I've no intentions of buying a fox until I'm at least 99% sure I can handle it (emotionally, mentally AND financially). I wouldn't be looking to buy a fox for at LEAST another year or two.

I have NEVER owned an exotic and do understand they can be quite different than owning your every day cat or dog. I understand that they are indeed high matienence and require about fifteen hours or more of attention. I also understand that it is quite expensive to own one. Having also already looked into vets in my area, I know that they do, indeed, handle exotics like foxes. I've no romanticized thoughts on the downsides of owning a fox nor the effort one requires. So, without further pause, allow me to get into my questions! (In advance, if there are links I've overlooked with answers to my questions, feel free to link instead of simply repeating yourself.)

•I live in southern Ohio. This means that I am required to get a $25 non-commercial propagating licence to house a domesticated fox. STATE LAW says I may own a fox so long as I have a permit. However, local ordinances can trump state law. I've tried to find out my local ordinances but with no luck. Who can I contact (or where can I go) to learn my area's local ordinances on housing an exotic?

•I've done quite a bit of research into food for a fox and there are mixed reviews. Some swear by a mix of dog/cat kibble with wet cat food while others say that you MUST have raw meat in the diet. What do you believe is a good route to take? It makes sense that some fresh meat would be ideal as it caters to the fox's natural source of food but I'd fear of worms if it was uncooked. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

•Toys and fencing are must-haves for foxes and I've seen a mix of ideas for having an outside enclosure for the adorable pets. What toys do you find your fox gunning for? What sort of caging do you use? Do you use tile or cement for outdoor flooring or just the good old fashioned ground? I know that every owner - and fox! - will have different preferences but I'd love to know what worked for you and what didn't to help save some trial-and-error money!

•Transportation is a big deal for me. As stated above, I live in Ohio. When I decide to purchase a fox, it will likely be through Tiny Tracks. I've heard such amazing things about them and, once I do a bit more research, I'll make my final judgements. That aside, they are outside of my state limits and I was wondering how you would transport a fox. Are there laws regarding transportation of the animal across state lines? To my understanding, I would be fine so long as I had my permit and papers. I've found very little on this topic and some insight would be much appreciated. This is a very important note!

•As strange as it sounds, how do you deal with a fox and bathing? I know that shedding can be problematic during the summer months but I've found nothing on bathing. Do you bathe your fox? Or, like cats, are they mostly self-cleaning animals? I know nothing on this topic and any information would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if I've somehow missed it or if it isn't a big issue at all.

Thank you all so much for working through this insanely long post. Your answers are very valued - thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Have a great day!
Whisper

Re: A Fox Lover - With Questions!

Postby Whisper » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:36 am

I don't really know much about state and city laws, but I can try to answer some other questions!
. Most fox owners use the gizmo burgers, here: http://www.thepetfox.net/2010/08/fox-fo ... -diet.html

. My fox has very little interest in anything he can't shred, so I give him fleece pieces. The only reason I can is because he doesn't eat them, but I've heard many do. As I'm sure you know, reds, silvers, and arctics have to have outdoor enclosures. I have a kennel fencing bottom on mine, covered with a few feet of dirt and wood chips.

. I have never washed mine, and he would hate me if I did :roll: . Sometimes I just wipe him down, but generally they stay pretty clean. For shedding, there's not much you can do, just brush them down.

What breed are you planning to get? I have a red male, and he's definitely a handful, but I couldn't imagine not having him!
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Katherynn

Postby Katherynn » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Whisper wrote:I don't really know much about state and city laws, but I can try to answer some other questions!
. Most fox owners use the gizmo burgers, here: http://www.thepetfox.net/2010/08/fox-fo ... -diet.html

. My fox has very little interest in anything he can't shred, so I give him fleece pieces. The only reason I can is because he doesn't eat them, but I've heard many do. As I'm sure you know, reds, silvers, and arctics have to have outdoor enclosures. I have a kennel fencing bottom on mine, covered with a few feet of dirt and wood chips.

. I have never washed mine, and he would hate me if I did :roll: . Sometimes I just wipe him down, but generally they stay pretty clean. For shedding, there's not much you can do, just brush them down.

What breed are you planning to get? I have a red male, and he's definitely a handful, but I couldn't imagine not having him!

Thank you so much for your time and answers! I've seen many people from the Ohio area so the question was directed mostly to them. :)

I've seen quite a bit in regard to Gizmo but I didn't know so many people followed the dining plan on the blog! This will definitely be something bookmarked. Thank you for the link!

In regards to toys I have a feeling it will be a "play it by ear" sort of thing. But any tips are nice! I'll have to keep in mind fleece pieces if my future furbaby is wise enough to not eat them. Though I'll probably start with squeaky toys!

I am leaning heavily toward an all-white marble fox (so technically still a vulpus vulpus / red fox) so an enclosure is a must! I've seen so many cool ideas on fox enclosures on here - I'm feeling very inspired!

As for cleanliness...daily brushing of a Maine Coon and a Persian as well as a Himalayan a few years back has me definitely prepared for that shedding!

Thank you so much again for taking the time to answer my questions. Have a great day!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Google you county plus code, county and animal law, county plus exotic(sometimes that brings up codes on dancers too, ha), county plus fox, and county plus vulpes. Then do the same for city plus the other keywords, but use ordinances as well as code. It's usually county code and city ordinances though.

If nothing comes up you can see if you library has the codes otherwise you may need to drop by city hall. City hall should probably have the county codes on hand too.
Katherynn

Postby Katherynn » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:15 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Google you county plus code, county and animal law, county plus exotic(sometimes that brings up codes on dancers too, ha), county plus fox, and county plus vulpes. Then do the same for city plus the other keywords, but use ordinances as well as code. It's usually county code and city ordinances though.

If nothing comes up you can see if you library has the codes otherwise you may need to drop by city hall. City hall should probably have the county codes on hand too.

I live in a very small town - outside of city limits - and I know plenty of people who house exotic reptiles and birds. I've searched like crazy online about local ordinances, codes and such. I never thought about trying city hall! I've been to my library - no such luck there. To City Hall! Thank you for the reply!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Katherynn wrote:I live in a very small town - outside of city limits - and I know plenty of people who house exotic reptiles and birds. I've searched like crazy online about local ordinances, codes and such. I never thought about trying city hall! I've been to my library - no such luck there. To City Hall! Thank you for the reply!

If you are outside the incorporated limits then you will just need your county and township regulations. Reptiles and/or birds are often allowable where exotic mammals are not so unfortunately not always a reliable indicator. However, I wish you the best of luck that it is in your favor.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 pm

welcome. very happy to hear you are researching prior to getting your fox. that will pay off for you and your new furry friend.

as for finding out about the legalities in your area. your best bet is to call your municipal building and or county.
request it in writing.

I attached my care sheet rather than explain more about foxes.
also, let me explain that there are some fox owners or want a be fox owners that give incorrect information.
the fox owners and I, have extensive experience with foxes.

on the food, most foxes owners will have their own views on raw vs. cooked.
I personally, pressure cook chicken for mine. they also love eggs. I do give mine raw chicken thigh bones.
poultry gizzards is a good source for their needed taurine. I buy the chicken gizzards by bulk at GE.
it is the cheapest way to buy the gizzards. I pay less than 1.00lb. my foxes go nuts over them.
those I will feed raw.

http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/fox.htm

again, thank you for joining us. we are here to help. hope to hear more about the critters you have and had.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “INTRODUCTION”