ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hey All!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Hey All!

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 am

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'm an avid animal lover, have grown up with them ever since I was a kid. I've never owned any true exotics though! :lol:

I'm here to get all the information I can before possibly purchasing an arctic fox pup next year. (I'm calling the NC Fish and Wildlife today to ask for more specific information on ownership and importation, I emailed them recently asking if arctic, being non native, were legal and they said yes... but many other sources online say no so I'm confused...)

I suffer from bad social anxiety, so I seldom leave my home other than to go to school, for 2-3 hours a day. If I decide on getting a new addition, I'll have all day to spend dedicated to it!

Anyways, I've been browsing this site for a few days now and I must say.... It's amazing! I really enjoy reading the awesome ideas and information you guys have. It'll definitely help LOADS when I decide on getting a fox, if it turns out that non-native foxes are legal, and after I save enough money to buy a nice outdoor enclosure.

See you all around!
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hey All!

Postby pat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:36 am

welcome Peacefulward,

glad you joined us. you will find lots of great info here, and the members are very helpful.
there is a link above on the purple bar "State Reg" take a look at that too for your state.

You do know that the artics are harder to litter train than the reds? not too many artic owners had much success icon-sad

Feel free to ask any question in the fox forum.

Thank you for joining us, we look forward to hearing about your pets.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:12 am

pat wrote:welcome Peacefulward,

glad you joined us. you will find lots of great info here, and the members are very helpful.
there is a link above on the purple bar "State Reg" take a look at that too for your state.

You do know that the artics are harder to litter train than the reds? not too many artic owners had much success icon-sad

Feel free to ask any question in the fox forum.

Thank you for joining us, we look forward to hearing about your pets.

Yeah, arctics definitely wouldn't be my first choice given I had one. It'll be a year or two before I'm ready for one though, so I'll have plenty of time to read up and save up.

By "Fur License" do you mean a literal license for trapping? Because on the official site where you purchase licenses, I don't see anything of the type listed. Here's what I have:

Coastal Fishing Only (CRFL)
Inland Fishing Only
Fishing Only Combination (Inland & Coastal Waters)
Hunting/Fishing Combinations (Inland & Coastal Waters)
Hunting Only
Trapping Only
Permit Hunt Opportunities
Privileges Only (Big Game, Bear E-Stamp, Game Lands, State Waterfowl/Federal Duck Stamp, Trout, Big Game Report Cards-Exempt, Bonus Antlerless Deer)
Other Licenses/Permits (Hunt/Fish Guide, Recreational Commercial Gear License-RCGL, Feral Swine)
Regulated Activities Permits/Licenses

EDIT: It seems licenses for owning native species of foxes are not available to the public. I'll call later today to ask about arctics.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:27 am

honestly, I am not sure.but, I think you can raise them, then sell the fur. (thats what fur farms do)
however, my concern is some states require you have at least one fur per year. :shrug:

the other members might know more about this than I do. you can call your state dnr and ask what the requirements are owning a fox.
actually, better is to email, at least you would have it writing.

when I get a chance, I will see if I can find more info.

however, I am sure some of the other members will chime in. give them time, many of us get pretty busy to answer quick.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 am

Yeah, just got the response from the Fish and Wildlife: "No we do not allow any type of fox as a pet."

I'll look into getting a fur license, if anyone knows more about this/harvesting I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll look at the other subjects on site. :shrug:

I'll also email them right away about this... Don't know if it'll look to good considering I just sent a mail about "owning foxes as pets" though.

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am

Hello and welcome.
You could inquire about regulations on the keeping of live fox without specifically mentioning the word pet.

Edit- I just realized you already sent a message with the term pet. But you can still use alternate wording going forward. Personal use, noncommercial, and noncommercial personal use are options.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:55 am

Replied to the previous message asking whether or not "the keeping of live foxes for the purpose of fur harvesting" is allowed with any permits or licenses. If they say no, I'll yield and just wait 7-12 years until I can move into a new home in Virginia or Indiana. :icon-wink:

EDIT: Nope, no foxes allowed at all for private use. Need too many big permits that I can't acquire.

I'll look into other exotics, was interested in Kinkajous but haven't done enough research to know if they're right for me or not. Most likely I'll just wait until I can move, I don't want to be owning 2 high maintence exotics at once. Perhaps something like a ferret, which I've owned before.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:20 pm

as minervasden mentioned never use the word "pet" I forgot to mention that.

If you are looking into another type exotic, I recommend a raccoon (if they are legal). my personal experience is, I like raccoons better than a fox.
raccoons can be much more affectionate. a fox is not. raccoons don't mark or smell bad.
however, a fox and raccoon should have an outdoor enclosure. (especially a fox) There are raccoon owners that do keep their raccoon in the house.
mine have both. As with many animals, if they are bored, they will be destructive.

however, with any type of animal, it is very important to understand their behavior and how to handle them.

Either way, we are here to help on whatever you decide.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:55 pm

pat wrote:as minervasden mentioned never use the word "pet" I forgot to mention that.

If you are looking into another type exotic, I recommend a raccoon (if they are legal). my personal experience is, I like raccoons better than a fox.
raccoons can be much more affectionate. a fox is not. raccoons don't mark or smell bad.
however, a fox and raccoon should have an outdoor enclosure. (especially a fox) There are raccoon owners that do keep their raccoon in the house.
mine have both. As with many animals, if they are bored, they will be destructive.

however, with any type of animal, it is very important to understand their behavior and how to handle them.

Either way, we are here to help on whatever you decide.

Sadly, it seems that coons are not legal either. Most rabies vectors (foxes, coons, skunks) are illegal. But I'll definitely keep what you said in mind for the future if I ever move! (And if I ever buy a fox or coon, it will most certainly have a very expansive enclosure :) )

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Sorry those links should have taken you to more info but didn't work and only went to the front page. I've updated now
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9092&p=82437#p82437

As far as I could tell you only need a fur propagation permit if it's vulpes vulpes BUT you need to be USDA licensed to import an exotic fox(or any fox).
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:42 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Sorry those links should have taken you to more info but didn't work and only went to the front page. I've updated now
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9092&p=82437#p82437

As far as I could tell you only need a fur propagation permit if it's vulpes vulpes BUT you need to be USDA licensed to import an exotic fox(or any fox).

Really? Thanks so much for the information. I'll have to look into what the requirements for getting USDA licensed are. If it requires me to be an exhibitioner or researches/anything other than just farming fur and the like, I probably won't be able to qualify.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:55 pm

It specifically said USDA exhibitors license for that section on importing fox.

Normally people find that fairly easy compared to getting a fur farm type permit but if you can't then the only other option is the Fur propagation permit but apparently they make that hard to get, by what they told you. Even if you did get the propagation permit though you'd still need the USDA to import one if there's no fox breeder in state. Now if by some miracle you found a breeder of exotic foxes in state you could get one from them without worries, as far as I could tell from the regulations, but they could tell you something different, but if somehow that does happen always ask them to show you the regulation where it says that. Sometimes when you call people will just tell you what they think is right rather than look it up.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

What will qualify me as an exhibitor for the USDA? Is it very hard to get?

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:47 pm

It's not that hard. You need to do some shows, keep records and take decent care of your animals. Some minor things some owners might not do otherwise, like store all food off the floor and in an air tight container and the perimeter fence (a n extra fence around the animal enclosure to to help prevent someone walking up and touching them through the fence), have a written out vet care plan.

You just need to "exhibit" your animal. This can be most anything like birthday parties, library(like arrange to have them as a special guest at reading time for a fox book), show them off to a boy scout or cub scout troop.

This is the rule book but seeing it all written out looks more intimidating than it should be https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfa ... 0FINAL.pdf
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Thank you so much, I'll definitely look into getting an exhibition license in the future when I am ready to care for a fox. Sorry for having you look up all this stuff for me... I'm really uneducated when it comes to these types of things and will definitely study up! icon-smile

Return to “INTRODUCTION”