PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hey All!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Re: Hey All!

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:25 pm

My family was very taken with the idea of receiving an exhibitors license for foxes. We're currently doing more research, but if we're allowed to show foxes in our local exotic pet expos and high schools/middle schools, or any other things we can find or think of, then we're in. (Doing more in-depth research now of course).

Anyways, If everything seems to be in order (I'll have to make a lot of phone calls...) regarding enclosure requirements, surrounding land, and all the other important stuff that's required, and I get a license, I'll most definitely be getting a fox kit. Probably in the next 3-4 years though. I don't live in a house with enough land to set up a proper outdoor enclosure, so I'll have to move. :mrgreen:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Glad there is hope for you getting a fox after all. I am very pleased that you are doing research first. it will pay off when you do get your fox.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 am

Only thing I'm having trouble finding out by reading is whether or not you need any special training to handle your animal while exhibiting. Any of you guys know?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:24 pm

USDA wants you to demonstrate adequate knowledge and experience but that's normally not an issue for small exotics like foxes. I've never been asked about that directly but then my inspector may have just garnered that I do have enough of both by seeing me handle my anteaters and talk about them and answer his questions. It didn't come up specifically when I mentioned getting a fennec either but I had the cage set up mostly and showed him and he was impressed with it and said it was well beyond what others give them so maybe was enough for him to tell as well. I'm sure once I get it he'll ask about diet and such like he does the anteaters.

At worst say you get your permit to exhibit your ferret and you then get the fox he might say you have to have it x-amount of time before you're allowed to exhibit it but there's no rule preventing you getting one as long as they can see you are caring for it well enough for the regulations.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:22 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:USDA wants you to demonstrate adequate knowledge and experience but that's normally not an issue for small exotics like foxes. I've never been asked about that directly but then my inspector may have just garnered that I do have enough of both by seeing me handle my anteaters and talk about them and answer his questions. It didn't come up specifically when I mentioned getting a fennec either but I had the cage set up mostly and showed him and he was impressed with it and said it was well beyond what others give them so maybe was enough for him to tell as well. I'm sure once I get it he'll ask about diet and such like he does the anteaters.

At worst say you get your permit to exhibit your ferret and you then get the fox he might say you have to have it x-amount of time before you're allowed to exhibit it but there's no rule preventing you getting one as long as they can see you are caring for it well enough for the regulations.

So I start out with the exhibition permit covering my currently owned animals, then later request to add a fox?

Are rats and the like still required to have a veterinarian care plan/ a veterinarian inspector coming over for a checkup? (I'm still a bit confused as to the whole Veterinary Care Plan thing I read, but I think I get the gist. I just have to have a veterinarian sign some papers and come out for yearly inspections, right?) I have veterinarians in place for my more exotic pets, but I don't see the point in having them visit my house/facility just for them when I could drive them up to their clinic. :lol:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Yes the rats need a care plan too any mammal you have. They have a form that comes with the application but you don't have to use it and can write up your own signed and disused with the vet but the form makes it easy enough. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/form ... S_7002.pdf

It will be best to start with your current animals. USDA isn't fond of people getting USDA just to bypass local laws for a pet that is otherwise banned and you can't have the fox till you're USDA anyway. So just get it for your current animals and show them then add the fox. While you could apply stating your plan for the fox they will want to insect where it will be kept etc and may be more critical and reluctant since it will look more like the getting the license just so you can by pass and have a pet issue. Exhibiting your domestics does count for needing the exhibition license. Lots of people who need it often don't get it though, like the Frisbee dog people but if you are exhibiting (excluding agricultural stuff like stock shows and 4h) then you are required to have it. So yeah start by exhibiting your rats if that's what you got it should make things go smoother for you.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:26 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Yes the rats need a care plan too any mammal you have. They have a form that comes with the application but you don't have to use it and can write up your own signed and disused with the vet but the form makes it easy enough. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/form ... S_7002.pdf

It will be best to start with your current animals. USDA isn't fond of people getting USDA just to bypass local laws for a pet that is otherwise banned and you can't have the fox till you're USDA anyway. So just get it for your current animals and show them then add the fox. While you could apply stating your plan for the fox they will want to insect where it will be kept etc and may be more critical and reluctant since it will look more like the getting the license just so you can by pass and have a pet issue. Exhibiting your domestics does count for needing the exhibition license. Lots of people who need it often don't get it though, like the Frisbee dog people but if you are exhibiting (excluding agricultural stuff like stock shows and 4h) then you are required to have it. So yeah start by exhibiting your rats if that's what you got it should make things go smoother for you.

I'll definitely start with rats once I'm old enough to attain my license in a year or two. Definitely going to get a better job before I add foxes or coons too.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”