ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello all!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Brittyboo

Hello all!

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Hello everyone!
My name is Brittany. I'm a sahm of 2 and a mother of a house full of fur babies! I have years (my whole life) experience with domesticated animals- just about every animal under the sun. I have fostered, rescued, and raised many animals. As far as exotics go, I have experience with suggies. I went to school for vet tech but after a yr and a half I ended up pregnant with my son so I haven't finished. I wanted to 'major' in exotics. I absolutely love learning about animals. I probably spend way too much time reading up on animals I'm interested in, like an obsession haha. This is what brought me to this site. About 2 years ago I started researching foxes. Unfortunately the Internet doesn't offer much information on owning a pet fox. I then turned to 'breeders' for information. So long story short- I have two beautiful foxes that I have learned most of the information I know now from my vet and experience. My Arabella and koda are so very special to me. I am Def not a perfect mommy and I may be in a predicimate...which I'm willing to take on the responsibility if needed. My bella may be pregnant! And advice would be so appreciated. I know the only way to be 100% would be to call my vet and schedule an ultrasound but are there any other ways to tell? I know with alot of animals their belly is very noticeably large. Thanks in advanced and sorry about the 'novel'
Brittyboo

Re: Hello all!

Postby Brittyboo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:15 am

Update- unless Arabella has a false pregnancy going on, she's preggers! Unfortunately I don't have experience with pregnancy, birthing, or newborn kits. I do have some experience with 10+days. I got my koda when he was 10 days old and bottle fed. I'm not a breeder, I'm just a dedicated owner who is going to be able to experience the miricle of life with my foxes. If I was dong this for breeding reasons then I would have done things very differently. My main concern right now is signs of labor. She will be a first time mommy so I want to be sure that instinct kicks in but if it doesn't I want to get the kits inside with me asap so they don't die. Although I have faith in her being a good mama. Are there any signs or behaviors that I should be looking for? Is there a way to tell if she will be going into labor soon? Is there a specific time of day, like during the night? Thanks for any input, so very appreciated!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:30 pm

She should have more than one nest box to choose from so she can move them if she feels nervous but then if she starts moving them around a lot that would be when to take them. You might hear the kits cry every couple hours when they get hungry then quiet down when she feeds them.

Since not USDA you can only keep the babies or give them away for free. Selling is not legal. So you will want to fix who you keep in the future.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you for the input! Yes it takes a few for usda. That's why I made sure I included that I wasn't a breeder in my post earlier:) I have had them a little over a yr and I made sure to go about legally owning them before i brought them home. I did have them separated for mating season but apparently I put them back together way too soon. This wasn't supposed to happen until next year so my male will be fixed after this. I only wanted to breed them once, just for the experience of it. pregnancy and babies are a gift:) How many nesting boxes do you recommend?
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Also, when I first got koda I was told lambs milk replacement and when I took koda to the vet for the first time my vet told me to continue with that. I'd like opinions of experienced kit owners. Sorry about all the questions, I just like hearing from people that have first hand experience.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:06 pm

"Yes it takes a few for usda." Do you mean it takes while because yes that's true that can be very slow sometimes they can expedite things though for special circumstances but that can still take awhile just not as long. If you mean it takes a few litters or sales before you need the license then no, that's a common misconception but USDA plainly states the hobby breeder exemption does not apply to exotic and wild animals. You could try calling and asking for an exemption since it's your only litter if you need to sell them instead of give them away. Sometimes local inspectors allow small exotic breeders to not get licensed to lower their work load claiming they don't need it due to the Hobby breeder exemption but the law states the exact opposite. I wont say any more though. It's up to you.

You can buy fox milk replacer from Fox Valley. No need to feed an herbivores milk to a carnivore or even kitten to a fox when you have fox species available.

Ideally you should have at least three nest boxes to choose from and you can place them differently. Like one up high and one on the ground. So she can choose what makes her feel most comfortable.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:29 pm

I meant it takes awhile. When I got my foxes I did all the research on permits for owning a fox, when I suspected my girl was pregnant I did contact the wildlife place for my county (please forgive me, I can not think of what it is called off the top of my head right now. Brainfart) to see if I needed a breeders permit. The officer I spoke with said no, for marbles you do NOT need a permit to breed, own, OR sell them. So I was under a completely different impression and thought I was in the clear until reading other posts on here and it talks about usda. So confusing. My main fear about giving them away is them ending up in the wrong hands. I did place an order with fox valley. Just waiting on them to call to finish my order. Thanks for the help!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Yeah unfortunately it can take a few months. I had a situation where mine lapsed due to their claiming they didn't get the payment in time and then I had a male I needed to rehome. Got a different subspecies and Pua hated him and was attacking him. My inspector expedited my application but it still took a month or more, was years ago.

I understand the worry about giving them away for free. You'd have to vet the buyers well but price alone isn't enough to ensure good owners anyway.

If you decide to sell them anyway your best bet is in state sales only. By USDA definition a dealer/breeder is someone who does so in interstate commerce or effects interstate commerce. So many think if you sell in state only you are good. The reason this isn't a good idea, especially if breeding more than one litter is they are pretty liberal with that. You bought formula from out of state therefore your breeding and sales even though all done in state still effect interstate commerce, or your bought food at a local store that was shipped in from another state, same deal, which means it's still not really legal but your not as likely to get caught since it's effecting interstate commerce rather than directly being involved in but it is still illegal so not really advised. Just info if you think you must put a price on them.

Fox aren't really expensive though so the best thing is just question and check out the adopters well rather than hoping price does the trick.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for taking the time time to give me all that information. Very confusing but I'll get it figured out.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”