PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Funnyfarm

Hi!

Postby Funnyfarm » Thu May 05, 2016 10:07 am

Good morning! I'm so glad I found this forum. I live on a small farm and have a mom and 11 month old Texas Longhorn bull, a yearling Holstein steer who thinks he's a dog, 2 donkeys, 4 pigs, 4 goats, 4 geese, 1 very mean turkey, several ducks, many chickens, 3 dachshunds, 2 doberman, 3 rats, a guinea pig, 2 parakeets, an African Grey parrot. And now 3 orphan baby raccoons. This is where we get the name Funny Farm. I have many questions about these raccoons as these are my first wildlife rescue, but I will use the search before bothering anyone. If you have any questions for me, ask away!

Thanks for letting me join.
Annette
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 05, 2016 1:14 pm

Welcome. Glad you found us.
Funnyfarm

Postby Funnyfarm » Thu May 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Oh i forgot to mention one little thing. I'm from Colorado.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 05, 2016 4:36 pm

Oh well don't let anyone locally know you have the coons it's illegal there and you may want to raise for release for their safety so they don't get found out someday.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu May 05, 2016 7:05 pm

welcome, yep, you have me beat with your critters. :lol:
please be careful on where you take those raccoons. some places might have them killed.

you can try releasing them yourself, if you have the time. just don't spend much time with them.

we are here to help you as much as we can. there is some info in the raccoon forum. I think there is a link at the top that explains more in depth about preparing raccoons ready for release.

as mary suggested, don't tell anyone near you that you have them..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Welcome!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Funnyfarm

Postby Funnyfarm » Thu May 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Thank you for welcoming me in. This makes me sad. I am a huge animal lover. I was hoping to keep them. They don't even have their eyes open. I was hoping there was some way around these crazy laws. icon-sad
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Greetings!

I am previously from CO myself, and I will say that part of the reason I'm happy to move out (besides the fact that I had promised myself a permanent return to OK since I moved away at age 5) is that there really isn't any way to be allowed most exotic animals. I was speaking once to the wife of a family friend who actually is a wildlife rehabilitator in CO. She, after a lot of grumbling that if it isn't a big game animal like a deer or elk or something, the government really doesn't care and so are insanely strict about wasting no extra time on keeping them, sadly, she admitted that it is not uncommon to fudge their records and such if a rehabilitator thinks an animal needs a bit more care, has become too tame, or they just fell in love too bad with an animal in their care, but playing such thing is a major risk 'cause if you get caught, they aren't very understanding. So alas, if you wanna keep Racoons for their life, you really can't in CO :(
Funnyfarm

Postby Funnyfarm » Thu May 05, 2016 8:47 pm

And IF I did keep them I wouldn't be able to find a vet for Vax, spay /neuter, illness... OK is about 3hrs away but then I'd be breaking even more laws. :wall:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 06, 2016 9:00 am

just curious, are captive born raccoons allowed in your state? if so, what is needed?
some states are restricted for even captive born icon-sad

raccoons are easy to fall in love with. if you have a lot of property, and you feed them, chances are they will stick around.
if you have a feeding station and some type of shelter.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri May 06, 2016 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

Wow, you've got an amazing farm! I am so jealous! We use to have that many critters, but the economy made us have to cut down. : (

Best of luck with your raccoons! Whatever choice you decide to make with their future I hope everything goes well. You did them a great favor looking out for them, they're lucky to have someone who cares. : )
Funnyfarm

Postby Funnyfarm » Fri May 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Unfortunately it looks like captive breed are not even legal without an astronauts license with the credentials of a brain surgeon here in CO. :-/ They are just starting to open their eyes. But I have to do what's best for them. I'm going to keep them until they are a bit more independent and I know they will survive and the turn them over to the rescue centera few hrs away. That way they won't see helpless little creatures that they don't have time for... :-(
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Funnyfarm wrote:Unfortunately it looks like captive breed are not even legal without an astronauts license with the credentials of a brain surgeon here in CO. :-/ They are just starting to open their eyes. But I have to do what's best for them. I'm going to keep them until they are a bit more independent and I know they will survive and the turn them over to the rescue centera few hrs away. That way they won't see helpless little creatures that they don't have time for... :-(

just make sure that rescue center will not kill them. some do icon-sad

sorry to hear even captive born raccoons are not legal. really sad, cause these jerks that are in charge of all this, have not clue how people get attached to them, and they don't understand a raccoons behavior. all they think of is "rabies". they make it sound like all raccoons have rabies :roll:

Return to “INTRODUCTION”