Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

HEY!! Im New

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

mrscline8821

HEY!! Im New

Postby mrscline8821 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 am

Hello Everyone!!
I just took on 2 baby coons! They are roughly 7-8wks old!! Their mother was hit by a car and they were still with her :/
So my friend knows I went to school for Vet Tech an the heart I have for animals. .
quick question...I've had younger ones that have not made it, a very long time ago, these 2 are pretty healthy from what I see. But they have ticks, what is the best thing for ticks/fleas when having coons in the house? I just started my job an will be getting them to a vet with my pay but until then?...
I have 3 dogs and 2 cats so I def want to be cautious!
Thanks in advance guys!
This page seems so awesome to be a part of:)
I am always up for meeting ppl who share my love for animals and I love learning things i didn't know about animals!
GODDESS
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HEY!! Im New

Postby pat » Thu May 19, 2016 12:10 pm

welcome to sybils message board.

first I want to thank you for saving the 2 babies.

are you planning on keeping them? if so, thought I would mention that most states don't allow raccoons from the wild.
however, there is some that do, I don't know which ones. just be careful if you can't get them legal.

as for the ticks, this works really great:
https://www.chewy.com/contech-tick-twis ... oC9Ufw_wcB

many stores sell this. very easy to use.

we are here to help, so feel free to ask questions in the raccoon forum. or leave some ideas or whatever. lots of info here, and great members.

again, welcome..glad to have you here, oh, and raccoons are my favorite. I love these guys. I just got 2 babies recently, 1 albino and 1 standard.
when I get more time, I will post their pictures in the raccoon forum.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
mrscline8821

Postby mrscline8821 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Thank You so much! I have been reading thru some of the boards and forums, everyone is so sweet and helpful!
I am at work but when i get home ill be putting some pics up here as well:)
My fiance and I have fallen in love w this bro/sis duo just in the last 2 nights, so I am thinking we will keep them!!
Thank you for that Link!!!
GODDESS
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu May 19, 2016 12:19 pm

sounds good, everyone will look forward to seeing your pictures..

racoons are so easy to fall in love with. they are great as long as they are understood and handled correctly.

mrscline8821

Postby mrscline8821 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Is there any quick way or a wash or something to get the ticks that i see all round their eyes?
GODDESS
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu May 19, 2016 2:30 pm

hmm, not sure about that. I think that the tick puller will get it off.

please be careful with ticks. one of my dogs ended up with lyme disease just recently. I didn't even know it. she was getting sick, and had a very hard time walking. took her to the vet, and she did have lyme. fortately I got her there in time. with ticks that carry lyme, the health issue don't show up for several months after the tick attached itself. I thought I read or the vet told me (can't remember) the "deer ticks" that are small, and I think almost white, are the ones that have the lyme. I know it is hard to tell once on an animal.

you cant wash a tick off, the whole body has to be pulled out. as long as it not real close to the eye, a tick puller should get them.
those tick pullers are very easy to use. slide the base of the tick puller on the tick as close as you can get to the skin of your coon, twist and pull. make sure you get the whole tick out.

other than that, I don't know of any other way. maybe the other members here could suggest something. keep us updated..

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Yes just pull them. You can gently rub them till they let go sometimes too. If you kill them before pulling they die with mouth locked shut in your pet and more chance of leaving the head behind because dead ticks can't let go. Dying tick is also more likely to "spit up" and so more likely to leave disease in your pet.

If there's a bunch you could have your vet sedate and do it. Then keep something on like revolution to keep the ticks at bay.
mrscline8821

Postby mrscline8821 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Thank you so much! I dont get paid for 2 wks bc i just started so i will pull what i can off tonight when i get home an drop the ticks in alcohol!
i do kno to make sure and get the head:) little buggers. . lol
ive heard that oil w a q tip will draw the head out so its easier to make sure you dont separate head from body so i may give that a try as well
ill post pics when i get home as well and maybe yall can help me age them, from what ive learned im thinking about 7-9 wks old!!
ill be in touch!!
thanks again
GODDESS
mrscline8821

Postby mrscline8821 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:57 pm

How do I post a pic?? I had my fiance send me one while im at work lol
GODDESS
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 20, 2016 2:35 am

Welcome! I'm glad you could find us. :) Pat knows loads about raccoons!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
summer

Postby summer » Fri May 20, 2016 8:03 am

Hi! Congratulations on your two new little ones!

Two things: Dawn dish soap can work to loosen ticks. I've used this on myself and dogs and cats. It helps "back " them out. So that they do not vomit back into the host or leave the head behind. I would assume it is safe for raccoons, wildlife centers use it, but maybe someone here knows more?

And unless you are living in a state where raccoons are legal to keep ( from the wild ) your veterinarian will be required to either, not treat, or report you to your DNR if you take them the raccoons. In my state it is highly illegal. A vet that treats them is at risk of loosing their license and the raccoons would be euthanized. If a DNR officer was very kind hearted they take them to a rehab center. Rehab centers are also iffy, some euthanize and I am not recommending them as a whole. I personally have a local wildlife one that is great, ( I volunteer, and the rehabbers are people I respect ) but some are not!

I am not judging you :) And I have rehabilitated raccoons illegally. I commend you for caring for your babies! But knowing your particular laws is always helpful no matter how you choose to proceed. And the members here know so much more then I about care etc. You came to the right place!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon May 23, 2016 11:05 am

Welcome, mrscline8821!

As summer advised, PLEASE be totally aware of the laws of your state before you bring your babies to the vet, or even allow many people to know about it. The very lives of those tiny babes depend on it. You can find your state's laws here: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php or by logging on to your particular state's game or wildlife commission's website.

If your vet is one who practices 'don't ask/don't tell', that's great but remember that it only takes one person on their staff (or someone in their waiting room) who doesn't agree with what you're doing to make an anonymous phone call to report you and/or your vet. Case in point, my vet treated a baby I was illegally rehabbing, but one person on their staff made it quite clear that she disapproved and thought I should place him at a licensed facility (believe me, I TRIED to find one to take him in, but out of FIVE places I contacted, not a ONE of them returned my call). I worried for MONTHS if she was going to report me, and it scared the heck outta of me. I was really relieved when we had a successful soft release, and he went on to have a happy life in the wild.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
mrscline8821

Postby mrscline8821 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks so much for your guys concerns!! This site has some amazing members:)
Update: Ive contacted the law office in my city and no where does it state I can not own Raccoons:) She looked it up and read me the law on wildlife and I wanted to be 100% sure so she reverse looked it up as well and it says nothing about being illegal or having to have a permit! I am going to call a few others in my area just to cover my back and if i get the OK then ill start making phone call to my Vet an get things rolling form there!!
I have also been told by a rehabilitation group down in Florida (that i used to help with when i lived down south) that you can not get a raccoon a rabies shot as it gives them the rabies! I didnt get to talk w her much as ive been super busy lately, so i will check into that next week!

im currently in the process of potty training my double trouble team lol does anyone have some pointers for me??
Right now I am going by a few tips i heard, i put them in a large dog cage w a litter box (lined w newspaper and a thin layer of litter) an the first time they pooped in the cage I picked it up and put it in the box, and when they pee i would dab it up w a paper towel or newspaper and put that in the box as well! Since then they have been pooping in the box!! (an some pee in the box) I let them out in the evenings when i get home and they have run of the house, i open the cage door when i get home but when i do that, they dont go back in there too poop n pee in the box......do i just need to do this more and more and more before they catch on?
Thanks for the tips, in advance. . i truly appreciate it
GODDESS
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Sometimes it's hidden in the rabies part of the health code or in the rabies code as sometimes that's it's own thing. If she did a search of the code for raccoon you are probably good with it not being found but you or she should check the rabies part also to be sure. It sounds very hopeful though.

They would only get rabies from a live or modified live shot but they only make killed and recombinant shots, it's scientifically impossible for any animal to get the disease from those. I mean unless they somehow messed up so bad there was some live in the killed shot then there would be huge lawsuits as all pets even domestics would be getting it from that bad batch. You can use the recombinant rabies instead if you want to be super safe, it only uses a piece of the dna instead of the whole virus, plus it is the best version as it doesn't have all additives(adjvants) the killed and other kinds do.
mrscline8821

Postby mrscline8821 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:24 pm

thank you so much for that info!!
GODDESS

Return to “INTRODUCTION”