Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Returning I guess

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Returning I guess

Postby caninesrock » Fri May 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi. Some of the old members probably remember me. I used to be really active here a couple years ago. After my living situation got to where I couldn't currently have any pets, including even domestic ones, I guess it became kind of painful and made me depressed to see topics about others animals and I kind of drifted away from this place, I'm ashamed to say. My college for zoo-keeping didn't go as I planned either and for awhile, I took a long break from college. I am thinking about going back though.

So, anyways, why did I come back? I've done alot of soul-searching and also talked with my sister and she said it would be good to talk with people who work with animals already to see how they got to where they are and what its like. I know alot of you here only own animals as pets, but I think maybe some people here might work with animals as well in their careers. I'm hoping to get insight into this. I'm mainly looking on incite into how to get started as either a zookeeper, but I guess at a privately owned zoo as opposed to an AZA zoo or even how to start my own zoo, just some zoo where I could go in with the animals, or an exotic animal trainer, or how to start my own animal sanctuary. Pretty much anything though where I can have direct hands-on contact and experience with wild animals (most speficially canids like wolves,coyotes, coywolves, jackals,etc.). I'm still trying to decide on my career and future and trying to explore my options and would love to hear other people stories about where they work, what they do there, and everything they had to do to get that job.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to think I've mature alot since when I was on here while I was in college a few years back. I've certainly become more grounded and less of a dreamer. I'm starting to think more realistically about working with and owning animals instead of thinking about animals I just thought it would "be cool to have as a pet" like I did in the past.

I'm hoping to start over new and I am looking forward to getting some insight from old and new members alike.

P. S. I didn't really know where to put this topic, so I apologize if its in the wrong place.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Returning I guess

Postby Ash » Fri May 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Welcome back! I'm happy to see you here again. :) I'm sorry things didn't turn out how you planned, but it's wonderful you're looking toward the future again. That's really the best antidote for depression. I hope talking to us will help you feel better and hopefully give you some ideas.

I have a job at a reptile zoo/educational facility now. I'm very lucky and get to work with large snakes, crocodilians, and big lizards. Really a dream come true for me. I was able to get the job because I knew my stuff when it came to reptiles, was confident, and had interned at a USDA-licensed facility prior to applying. I think being well-versed in animal-related topics (especially the types of animals you're most interested in) is a must if you want to work with animals. And I remember how much you know about wolves, so I think you already are well-versed. ;) Confidence was very important when I went to apply since most of what we do is educational outreach programs where we go present at schools, libraries, fairs, and birthdays. I think for any job, regardless of whether it's animal-related or not, confidence is probably number 1.

My best friend worked at Snake Farm in Texas for a while. It's a ZAA zoo, so not all stingy like AZA is, and will allow certain hands-on stuff. You may even be able to get in touch with the owner and see if he would give you a private behind-the-scenes tour. Definitely something worth looking into, in my opinion. Here's their website: http://www.exoticanimalworld.com/. My friend had a wonderful time working there and only ever has had good things to say about her experience. She loved it. They've got all sorts of animals there.

My friend is well-known in the reptile community because she has gone out of her way to make friends, meet people, get contacts, etc. That's pretty much all she's done for the past few years, and geez, it has paid off for her. She made herself a public figure, and she now has access to some of the best reptile facilities in the US. I know it took her a lot of time and energy to get that far. But she's only really been into reptiles/animals for a few years. She just worked crazy hard to put herself out there.

You may also want to check out smaller AZA zoos. They are a lot more likely to hire people without degrees without "professional" experience. For example, the Hogle Zoo here in Utah hires all sorts of people--several of my coworkers worked there for a few years. Many of those types of zoos will hire someone from the inside when a job opens up. These zoos also offer internships, and there's often slots left open. Obviously none of the huge zoos are going to be as easy to work at, but you will definitely have better luck with the smaller ones.

Good luck. :) I really hope you can figure out your life path and see what course is best for you.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 27, 2016 11:02 pm

ps, You can find more info on their facebook page, if you're interested. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Well if you just need to get your foot in the door there's The Great American Petting zoo(or you could look for something similar). I know you don't want to work for a petting zoo, lol, but they have wallabies and deer so you'd get some exotic care taker experience. And it was really easy to get a job with them. I did a quick phone interview and then they had me drive out to join them to work the summer, since they happened to be set up nearby. Were more college people interning for them. They pay or provide all room you're paid so provide your food. So a summer of that and you'd have some experience as well as a reference to help you get something more with the species you really want.

There was another place that you work there intern for room and board that I got offered once too. I believe she even let people bring their pets. I'll see if I still have any info on that and will share if I find it. But places like that exist and are a good way to get started. (nope can't find it was too long ago though I did have Pua at the time and she was going to let me bring her but thought I might not rally want to since it was just being an intern. I chickened out and didn't do it and she probably wouldn't have been happy having a tamandua stinking up one of her cabins, lol).

Can find a lot of internships but they want you to be a student(I think that makes it legal to not pay you). Like this : http://www.turpentinecreek.org/support- ... p-program/
So if you did go back to school even for some clases then you might have more options.

This one's TX (where you are, right?) https://qcnr.usu.edu/job_listings/febru ... 0flyer.pdf
Maybe try talking to them as see if they could work with you even though you're not currently a student since you were and in the right field.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat May 28, 2016 6:33 am

Welcome back. If you cannot find a job or internship, look for any available volunteer position. Even being a kennel worker at the animal shelter gives you animal handling experience to build on. You'll want to demonstrate you are a hard worker and not just sitting around waiting for a preferred position.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 am

welcome back, it is great to see you posting again.

hope everything gets better for you..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun May 29, 2016 4:10 pm

@Ash:
I checked both their website and their facebook page and that definitely looks really interesting. I'll definitely keep them in mind. Even though the only canids they have specifically shown on their website are wolves and a fennec fox,they do have other animals that I have a bit of an interest in like hyenas, bats, coatimundis,kinkajous, and atleast one type of weasel . It's only 2 and a half hours from where I currently live too, so once I get my license, I can drive up there and visit to see first hand what its like and if its a place I'd be interested in working at. Thanks so much for letting me know about them. :)

@TamanduaGirl:
Hmm. The Great American Petting Zoo seems kind of interesting, but its very far from where I currently live and doesn't have many
or any animals that I have that much of an interest in to be worth it moving so far from my home. I've never even been outside of
the south or southwest of the country. I'm pretty sure just the winters of a northern state would probably kill me. Lol. XD
But anyways, if I have no other options, I will still keep them in mind as a last resort. Thanks for letting me know about them.

As for the second place, I really can't afford to work somewhere that doesn't pay me as I'm trying to find a way to support myself
so I can move out from my mother's apartment and get something better than a minimum wage job where I can actually afford my own living
expenses to be honest. Also, the fact that I'm not currently in school and money issues being a big factor of going back to college
as well, makes it not a good fit currently since it mostly accepts college students and seems to be highly competitive and difficult
to get into. Not only that, but the only animal there that have any remote interest at all in is the coatimundi.

The last one is the best honestly. It is in my sate and has the most animals out of the 3 places you listed that I am interested in and also
pays and gives boarding. However, the one thing that worries me in the internship faq that I found on their site, is that it seems to
state that things relating to direct interaction with the animals are extras that interns do on their own time and that the actual
workday consists entirely of maintenance work, much of which is indirectly related to the animals. Some such things such as fixing up or
building habitats are atleast related to the animals, but other things listed like raking leaves, pulling weeds, and mowing the
lawns have nothing whatsoever to do with the care of the animals. In fact, this is the main reason why I quit the college zoo program
that I was in Florida is that was exactly the kind of work we did all the time: mostly non-animal related grounds and maintanence work.
I understand things like cleaning inside animal exhibits or fixing up enclosure fences or building enrichment items, but when it gets
to things like raking leaves outside enclosures, mowing lawns also outside of enlcosure, etc., that highly frustrates me as I personally
don't see how that's related at all to animal care. It's more about the benefit of the place looking nice to the public honestly
than about having anything to do with the care or well-being of the animals in my opinion.

Here is the page with internship faq:
http://www.bigcat.org/intern-program-faq

And here are the things quote that worry me:
"Interns will be trained on basic animal husbandry. They will be involved in feeding, cleaning habitats and houses, upkeep of sanctuary grounds. Past interns have been involved in constructing a new habitat such as building pools, caves and houses. You will learn how to cement, make water troughs, install pumps, work with PVC piping, working with weedeaters and mowers, etc. The amount of knowledge one is able to gain is endless. The only thing is that it depends on what is going on at the sanctuary. We try to introduce interns to as many new things as possible.

Interns will learn as much about Animal Behavior as they want. They have the option to participate in our Emotional Enrichment Program during their off time. REMEMBER, this is an Animal Husbandry Internship. Everything else is secondary.

Also on the internship tips page, it says this:
http://www.bigcat.org/tips-intern
"The reason interns exist is to make the lives of employees easier. You are there to do the work that nobody else likes doing. This may include scrubbing toilets, shoveling animal poop or filing documents. You do NOT exist as an intern to fulfill your dream of playing with the animals or nursing a baby tiger cub. You are simply there to make the jobs of the actual staff easier. "

As for the animal enrichment program, it seems that as interns you also don't get any direct hands-on experience with the animals from that either as on the emotional enrichment program page it says this:
http://www.bigcat.org/emotional-enrichment-program

What you are witnessing on the website is the application of our Emotional Enrichment Program, where our Animal Behaviorist analyzes each feline's behavior and determines what techniques would best alleviate its stress and/or agitation. Often this entails unprotected contact in order to give the feline a source of security and/or comfort with a human caretaker. He takes on that role. It is much more than 'going inside' with a feline and takes years of experience and ability. The interns do not participate in this program in an unprotected environment, but those with the motivation and ability may participate from outside the fence in a protected environment.

@minervasden
In the past, I have volunteered at a wolf sanctuary, the local animal shelter, and a wildlife rehabilitation center.
The wolf sanctuary I sadly had to quit years ago when I moved too far away and had no way of getting there since I was still
in high school at the time and didn't have any form of transporation. The shelter and rehab place were much more recent, but I
had to quit both when I started my paying job at a grocery store as I simply didn't have enough time in my day to both work
and volunteer, when my job started giving me 30+ hours a week. Sadly, even with all those hours, it isn't still enough to live
on my own since I only make minimum wage and I also don't like the job very much at all, but it was the only thing I was able
to get with only volunteer experience at the time and no paid work experience. Not having a car or license at the moment as well
as living in a city that doesn't have that great of a public transporation system, also makes it alot harder to find places to
volunteer or even to find another paying job that I actually like. I did recently apply to a Petsmart for their Petshotel
which I can get to by bus, so I'm hoping to hear back from them if nothing else. I've actually had like 3 or 4 interviews with
Petsmart in the past, but they've never hired me. I'm not quite sure why though. At one point, I think it was when I was trying
to get it as my first paid job though before I'd been at my current job for 2+ years. So, that could have been it. In atleast
another interview, they asked me about transportation and if I had a car and I think maybe they might have chose not to hire me
because I said I'd have to take the bus since I didn't drive. I am the kind of person that would take the bus to get there 2 hours early
just to be on time if I had to though, so I don't really think that was a fair reason if that was why they didn't hire me.
Also, my social anxiety disorder as well as my general habit of worrying and getting nervous, a lot of times makes me blank out when
they ask questions. Like it wasn't at Petsmart, but when I had a recent interview at Barnes and Noble for example, they asked me
what kind of books I liked to read and I got so nervous and blacked out and just blurted out "comics". So, they put down comics
as the only thing I read even though I read other things too. Needless to say, I didn't get that job. :/

@pat
Thank you. It's good to be back. I didn't realize how much I missed this place. Everyone I know irl thinks I'm a crazy nutcase
for wanting to actually go in with wild animals and thinks I should only work with them from outside the fence. It's nice to be
somewhere with other likeminded people who don't try to tell me I'm crazy, ask me why I'd even want to go in with wild animals, or
babble on about how the animals would injure, kill, maime, or otherwise turn on me, so I should only work with animals from the other side of the
fence and not in the exhibit with them. :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 29, 2016 5:08 pm

You wouldn't need to move to Oregon to do the petting zoo. You could just do a summer with them or so and you'd get some experience to show the jobs you'd prefer. Denver stock show was the only real winter show we did. It was a fun one but worst for a person health wise. Oh and the one in San Antonio sucked too but Denver always made me real sick. The summer shows just go around the west coast so are nice enough.

On the last one that's how most internships seem to work but it's used as a way to have something to show to employers to help get the better jobs later.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun May 29, 2016 7:01 pm

About the not driving-Yes, that hurts your chances of getting hired. Never volunteer that information. If asked if you have reliable transportation (and assuming you do) you can answer yes. Of course if they ask if you own your own vehicle or have a driver's license you must say no. Also don't try to explain things, make excuses, ect. that you don't need to. If needed you can point to excellent attendance at a prior job if applicable. Or say I have not missed work except due to an illness or emergency which can happen to anyone regardless of transportation method.

I cannot drive so I have lots of experience with this issue. Additionally, I have learned from many potential employers that those who do not drive are often viewed as irresponsible, unreliable and may be assumed to have lost a license due to too many dui's-that's just where people's thoughts go. Try not to make explanations why you don't drive for example a medical issue may make you appear unable to perform as required. Then you have the burden of proving two different issues won't affect your job performance.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon May 30, 2016 10:12 pm

So, I was looking into internships of more places. I decided to look up more places I might be interested in. Sadly, it looks like neither the International Wolf Center or Endangered Wolf Center(sad,cause I really wanted to work at the Endangered Wolf Center :/) have internships or if they do, they aren't mentioned on their sites at all. Of course, as for the Endangered Wolf Center, given the nature of the animals that they have there as they are endangered and many may one day be released into the wild, for the most part, there would be no direct contact with any of the animals, except for a few unreleasable ones.

However, I did find info on a 3 months internship for Wolf Park. It's highly competitive though and although it says you don't have to be in college, students in college or that recently graduated are more likely to be accepted. Also, while they provide housing, they don't provide food, gas/transporation/travel, etc. or any kind of money while you are there. In fact, they actually want you to pay them in order to participate in the internship. The cost really isn't too bad though. I actually have more than that saved up. However, I don't think I have enough saved up for 3 months of food and gas and I'm not even sure how much that would cost. Of course, I'd also have to get my drivers license (learners permit actually since I've never driven before and wouldn't pass the driving test) in order. I've already been turned away by the dps twice for apparently not having the right documents. :/ I'm hopefully going to be able to make it to the dps before work on Friday and have all my documents this time. I hope a lease agreement from my apartment will finally be enough "proof of residency" for them since they haven't accepted any of my mail or my paystubs from work with my address. I really hate dealing with them, but oh well, I'll do what I have to to be able to drive even though I've still terrified of driving as its becoming apparent to me that the ability to drive will open up a whole lot more opportunities for me that I'm currently missing out on. First step, permit, next step, paying for private driving lessons, then finally getting a real license.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm

You would love Wolf Park if you were able to go there. Very hands on, lots of wolves, some foxes, some coyotes... Canids, lol. Even though they don't pay, it would be an experience you love, and Wolf Park is renowned throughout the country. So would be nice on a resume.

One thing about Snake Farm, the owner is very good to the people who work there. For longer-term employees, he will even get animal species that they request because they would like to work with them. Which is awesome. My friend was "given" a porcupine to raise while she worked there, and it stayed with her in her cabin. She used in educational shows too. Not to keep hitting you with Snake Farm, lol, but just thought I could add a bit more of what I've been told.

I know you'd love either.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Ash, will Snake Farm hire people with no previous experience other than volunteer work and no college degree?
Also, do they offer any kind of on-site housing even if you have to pay for it? You mentioned a porcupine in your friend's cabin. Is the cabin on-site housing?

Wolf Park is more interesting, but its well known and highly competitive, unpaid (so would have no money to support myself in a state where none of my relatives live), and says that even though they accept no college or experience, that they strongly prefer college and previous animal experience.

So,I'm thinking Snake Farm, atleast to start with.

Do you think I'd have a better chance writing to the owner on his website or going to visit in person or doing both? Like, maybe write on the website first to set up some kind of behind the scene meet, see if he's willing to do that, etc., and then driving up there if he is.

I have my learners permit now. I just have to take my behind the wheel lessons so I can pass the dmv test and then I'll be good to go except for saving up for a car. There's some fairly cheap cars (like 2-3 thousand dollars) on Craigslist, but I heard alot of people lie about the condition of their cars on there and I know nothing about cars, so.... :shrug:

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:17 pm

You don't have to have a college degree, no. I'm certain it would help, but it's not required. Housing is on-site as well.

I think visiting and emailing would both be best. The more appearances you put in, the better. If you decide to go that route, good luck! :) Let me know how it goes.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks for the info, Ash. ^^ I actually decided to go for my bachelors degree in Wildlife Biology/ Zoology at Humbolt State University in California, though. I'm going to try for the spring semester, but I might end up going for the summer if I can't get everything settled by Spring.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Ah, I'm glad you decided on something! Good luck. :)

Return to “INTRODUCTION”