Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link below.
also, when you use ebates, you should go there first, then select the store you want shop online. this will ensure you get paid. (however, as I mentioned, there should be a drop down menu at the top also)

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Hello! Kishu/Shikoku owner/enthusiasts here.

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Crisp

Hello! Kishu/Shikoku owner/enthusiasts here.

Postby Crisp » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Hey! I found this board while I was searching for something unrelated on Shikoku and Kishu in Google images and I saw the thread on dogs with "wild" or suspected "wild" heritage. After poking around a bit, I figured I'd join!

My name is CJ, I operate Akiyama no Roushya which is a NIPPO (Nihon Ken Hozonkai) registered kennel. I currently own and breed Kishu, but I also have one older male Shikoku who was my introduction to the medium-sized Japanese breeds.

I used to work as a trainer before I completed my psych courses. Now I'm moving into wildlife bio, work at the local zoo, and at an animal ER in my city. Eventually, I would love to add an exotic and have been considering birds (ravens, crows), canines (dingo, wolfdogs), and a recent experience with a few Savannahs has endeared them to me.

At current, I just have the 4 dogs - 3 Kishu and 1 Shikoku.

Both breeds are closely related and were standardized from the landrace that existed in the Kii mountains and the island of Shikoku, respectively. These original dogs were bred to hunt boar, deer, and sometimes bear if it was called upon (though the latter game was usually reserved for other types, such as the large-sized dogs that became part of the Akita foundation.) The Kishu is the most used Japanese breed for hunting in its country of origin. I believe the Shikoku is mostly a show dog or active companion these days, with individuals who hunt being in the minority.

All of my dogs are companions/hiking buddies, though the Kishu wish we would hunt. ;)

Dogtax pictures...

Fionna, a 2 year old female Kishu (white coat)

Toutarou (co-owned), a 7 month old male Kishu (sesame/black sesame coat)

Nami, a 5 year old female Kishu (sesame/red sesame coat)

Cúchulainn, a 5 month old male Kishu (red coat)

TK, a 10 year old male Shikoku (black sesame coat)

Nice to meet you all!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello! Kishu/Shikoku owner/enthusiasts here.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:38 am

Welcome. Lovely dogs.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi, and I'm glad you found us! :) Your dogs are stunning. I haven't really looked into the breed before, but they sound like they've got lots of energy, which personally, I don't have, lol. Very beautiful animals though. Thank you so much for posting pictures of them. The white one Fionna is gorgeous. Love that coat.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Crisp

Postby Crisp » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

I like all my dogs, of course, but I have to say that Nami is probably my favorite. I like her color and her temperament. Fionna is her daughter and while I don't prefer the white coats, I like the texture of her coat and I like her confidence. White is the most common color in the breed, though, so I'm likely to have many more white dogs in years to come. :)

They're great little dogs. A lot of intensity in a relatively small package and my Kishu are good go-anywhere, do-anything dogs. They're high energy, I guess, but I'm so used to it now and what I have to do to curb their energy that it's like first nature. Not too bad. Of course, they do have a period in the "terrible twos" (their juvenile stage) where they like to try and dig holes through walls and ripe up carpeting no matter how much enrichment and exercise you give them... but I figure I'm not alone there when it comes to that, on this board. :)

Anyway, glad to be here.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Welcome. Your dogs are gorgeous. ^^ I didn't even know Kishu came in colors other than white, so I learned something new. :)
Nami and TK are my favorites. I sees TK is a Shikoku though while the others are Kishus.

I have to ask just out of curiosity on a slightly unrelated topic, have ever heard of an extremely obscure but good little anime called Ginga Nargeboshi Gin and its sequel Ginga Densetsu Weed? (Still don't understand why the mangaka named the dog in the sequel Weed, but eh, whatever, minor grievance)? The main characters of both are Akitas, but there are also major/main Kishu characters in both. The dogs are highly humanized and talk and show human emotions, though, so if your not into that and only like realism with animals, you might not like it.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Crisp

Postby Crisp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:38 pm

@caninesrock - Thanks! :D I'm not surprised you didn't know about yushoku Kishu. It's really pure luck that I have so many non-white Kishu. The avenues just opened up all at the right time. I'd love to preserve the non-white coats in my program in the future, but so many Kishu are white and there are so many other things I take into consideration before color that I just don't know that I'll have that luxury. But it's a nice thought. I'm kind of proud of my little Kishu collection, though I'd take a Kishu if it was lime green. I just really like their temperaments. Intense and confident little dogs that will go all day and sleep all night if you want them to. I love my Shikoku and he's a good camping dog and I may have another Shikoku in the future from another kennel just to have another fresh experience, but he's a little anxious for my liking. He's gotten better, but that's just him. I did get him as a middle aged adult rehome, though, so it's not fair to judge my experience with the breed by him. But on the other hand, I got Nami as an adult rehome and she's my favorite overall package, so I think I take to the Kishu more. If my line-up wasn't already indication of that, lol.

I haven't read or seen GNG or GDW, but I've heard about them and a lot of people contact me because they've seen Kishu in these pieces, so I've always thought I should read it, just to see what they see in the dogs and how they're portrayed.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”