NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Hello from Poland.

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Mescalito

Hello from Poland.

Postby Mescalito » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am

Hello everyone! Been watching Sybils den for years.
I live in eastern Poland where winters are COLD and summers are not so hot. I'm 25yo dude who've been around animals as far I remember. With parents and siblings we have 20hectares and many different animals but so far no exotic animals.

Currently I'm taking care of 12cows (different breeds over years), poultry, vietnamese pot-belled pigs (currently 12 as little as human fist running around two mothers), a pony (I bought cold blood horse when I was young from an old farmer near border with Belarus but she died I guess of old age after living with us for 10years :( ). I own caucasian shepherd dog - I love that breed since I was small. I remember once when I was 5years old I went inside my działka(I guess it's going to be a ranch in US) we had a first dog from that breed called Redy (mom called him after Retth Butler) the biggest dog I saw around 80-85kg who knocked me down and wanted me to play with him. Well after that I'm simply a huge fan of that breed. He would around the same age as me but sadly dogs don't live so long (passed when I was 16).
Few other dogs like a pitbull, dachshund, two yorkshire terriers. The most exotic pet so far I had a pine marten which I found stable, I thought it was a mouse or rat but I guess mother left her few minutes before I entered or get scared and dropped when I went inside. Was taking care of her till she was adult (she could get in every hole, doesn't matter how small). I took a care with her all the time, I knew that someday she might wonder off if I won't keep her closed but she was always coming back till she dissapeared - I hope she has a family now :)

As I said before, been watching and lurking here for years becouse my dream is to have a bear. Taking care of him/her from a little cub. But so far the talk was around the US borders, about laws, states, bans. My question is: is it possible to import a bear from US to Poland?
I'm afraid there is no one taking care of bears in central or i west europe at all. There are bears in Poland (most of them in south, some on east) around 100 in Poland borders. There were bears in XVII-XVIII century where I live now but after two wars there are none (most of them lived in Bialowieza forest now populated by aurochs)

The thing is I have resources, time, a place(all is missing from it is a den) to take a care but the problem is different - how do I get one? How much does it cost? The best place is US which I guess is legal, the other side is Russia which I'm guessing it won't be legal at all. There are so many scam sites on net that are messing my point of view on it.
At some time in my life I want to accomplish it but I don't know how atm.
Sorry for any mistakes in my grammar, it's not my second language.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Poland.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:02 pm

I think bears are fairly in expensive and long as it's legal in your country the US will allow export of one born and bred in human care. The trick will be finding a breeder willing to deal with all the paper work and hassle of shipping to another country. You'd have to talk to whatever agency in your country is in charge of imports and find out what is required. In USA it'd be Fish & Wildlife and customs. In Canada it's the Food Inspection Agency but I guess despite the name they inspect and regulate all imports.

Another option might be Russia? I beleive people keep bears there but I don't know about their export laws.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mescalito

Postby Mescalito » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you very much TamanduaGirl.
After reading throughly in all these laws, permits etc for the past 3hours I gotta say it is ALOT of work for both sides, for a buyer and breeder.
I'm sure that filling all these reports, permits and fees is going take alot of time but that shouldn't be a problem but finding breeder willing to export from US and filling these papers might be really hard to find.
How do they ship exotic animals like bear cubs?
Getting a bear in Russia I guess would be alot "smoother" - less logistic, bureaucracy and easier to get there personally since I don't need to get a VISA. But the problem would be getting a bear cub from not a shady breeder.
I recall a fact about domesticated foxes in Russia which were placed under selection for inherent tameness. Does it work on bears too? I would love to read, hear about it.
I read and heard stories about breeders in XVII-XVIII century breeding bears like that and it all stopped after II Partition of Poland - there's simply no information about what happened to those bears (I guess they were taken by rich russians at that time)

"Inexpensive" or fairly expensive? - I'm not sure what you mean.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Meant fairly expensive. Don't know where the in came from.

Bears will be shipped as cargo and will need an escape proof crate which might be one of those super strong metal crates or possibly a wooden crate like my tamandua came if a cub isn't strong enough to break out.

Which makes for one problem from the USA as well, the airlines wont ship an animal still nursing and a young cub would need to be fed too often to make a long flight.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:29 pm

It would be easier to buy a bear within the European Union. They are available every now and again. I don't know about Polish laws, that's something you'll need to look up for yourself, but you could import from a schengen area country without the need for import paperwork, cites, quarantine etc. There may be seperate laws for native and exotic species so you'll need to research that too.
1.5 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.3 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Mescalito

Postby Mescalito » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks for the responses!
I've been doing alot of research in free-time past last few days, calling people, emailing, reading etc. Sadly owning a bear privately in Poland is banned (zoo and sanctuaries can easly own them). in 2011 they changed a law about exotic pets and even llamas are under "dangerous" animals and privately you can't take care of them (what the hell?!).

Everyone who had exotics pets that time had six months to give them all. in 2013 there were 7 brown bears and 4 black bears under private care, only one brown bear wasn't put down and now is in a zoo. You can't own like most of exotic animals. Now there is no one in Poland who legally owns a bear.
I've talked to two owners on phone and I all heard from them was that they had them since they were little cubs, living with them like a family, never had any accidents with them. Both of them had secured property (approx 14ha), food from markets, lake (owners were from Mazury).
Lately last bear in circus had to be given to a sanctuary becouse foundation wanted to take a brown bear to a sanctuary in which circus owners were literally fighting over a bear to not give him up. So far he is in sanctuary for a bears in Poland placed in Poznan but now people who were paying for that foundation want that bear for them in Austria.
All other circus bears were sedated and I guess that will happen to that bear too (tamed, can't survive in wild = put down that's how Poland works)
Doesn't matter that brown bears were all over Poland in past and only kings could haunt them at that time. In my region last wild brown bear was seen in 1937.

There is a zoo in my city which has this year a pair of brown bears (a male came from another zoo). Gotta ask more about it. Maybe at some time in the future I should start my own sanctuary for bears so I can basically own one and take care of it(I dislike how in english an animal is "it" instead of he/she like in polish language. It's like an dead object)? I mean how many people on earth were/are doing it?

Maybe in future they change it but more likely government will ban poultry, cows from owning privately so they will skyrocket prices all around that sector...

I don't know what to do next with it. I can see two options currently. First is starting a sanctuary for bears, second is getting a bear illegally in which I'm not interested - worrying every day about it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Sadly a lot of sanctuaries are all about the money. They will all fight for the same animal if it was in the news while refusing others who may need a place more because there's no publicity with them.
---
Mary

LayRong

Postby LayRong » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:20 am

It would be easier to buy a bear within the European Union. They are available every now and again. I don't know about Polish laws, that's something you'll need to look up for yourself, but you could import from a schengen area country without the need for import paperwork, cites, quarantine etc. There may be seperate laws for native and exotic species so you'll need to research that too.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 am

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

I love martens, that's pretty awesome you got to raise one. I'm sure she is out there somewhere with a family of her own.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”