Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.


Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

New Member + Inquiries

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

User avatar
ahonaswildlife
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:39 am

Hello, I joined this forum a few minutes ago icon-smile I'm Ahona, and I wanna do something to help the world's wildlife when I grow up (I'm 13 now)This is the first time I've ever joined a forum
Now, please don't tell me that I'm too young for this. A lot of you are probably gonna discourage me from keeping big cats and wolves (for safety), but I believe that anything is possible. With just a little help, I know I'll be able to do it.
I come from Bangladesh (home of the Bengal tiger icon-smile #proud ) but I've spent the first 4 years of my life in Canada. I've wanted to help animals(mostly big cats and wolves) since I was a kid, but I never really wanted to keep them as pets, as I thought that it would be cruel to them. Animals deserve to live in their natural habitat, and I still agree with it.
I stumbled across this forum and discovered that I can keep these beautiful creatures as pets. I've done all my research on them, and I think I'm prepared to nurture them. I've always wanted to be close to nature, and I've fantasized about living in a cabin in the woods :lol: The bear attack statistics, however, scared me to death, and I dropped the idea, because when you're in the forest, you're not on top of the food chain anymore.
I have a few questions: firstly, I want a job that will keep me close to the wildlife and also pay well. What job would you suggest?
Secondly, I've looked everywhere, but I can't find if it's legal to own big cats and wolves in Bangladesh. Do any of you have any idea about this?
Just in case you're wondering, I have all the things needed to keep my future pets happy. My dad shares my fantasies (not my mom, though, because moms are moms) and he owns a land of 25 acres. I don't plan on keeping the wolves and the cats together, if you were wondering icon-smile
I'm just really worried because we don't have animal welfare laws in Bangladesh and I see a lot of stray cats and dogs lying abused in the streets. Sloth bears, porcupines, etc. went extinct from my country YEARS ago. Our Prime Minister is constructing a power plant in the Sundarbans, and this is gonna harm our national animal. People rarely see clouded leopards in the countryside these days! I want to educate our people about why we need to save these beautiful creatures. I'd happily become a mother to them.
I could use a little help and encouragement...please icon-sad
User avatar
GitaBooks
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: USA

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

I would never want to discourage someone who has a passion for wildlife, though I do encourage great thoughtfulness before ANY animal to know what you can afford, handle, and keep for their lifespan. I dream just as big as you, believe me, but experience will help you realize what works and what doesn't. For example, I was allergic to ferrets and had to rehome them. : ( Something you can't always anticipate.

Some wildlife jobs include working at a Wildlife Center, Orphan Animal Rehab (doesn't tend to pay well), Education Center, Wildlife Sanctuary, Exotic Pet Rescue, Conservation Center, and Zoos (private and public).

Education is such a powerful tool! It's a great idea! There are a lot of legal issues with owning dangerous animals, as they can accidentally harm people and aren't generally great for educational purposes up close. I would suggest smaller wildlife. You could rescue injured, orphaned, or abandoned animals. Some people don't keep pets well and these animals need nurtured back to strength and kept in a good home. Dogs and cats can always use a sanctuary too, if you decide to work with domestic animals as well.

I'm not sure whether or not it's legal, but make sure whatever you do you don't acquire animals from illegal breeders/sellers, as they only make things worse for the wildlife, stealing them from the wild instead of responsibly breeding them and supporting their protection in their natural habitat.

Best of luck! Feel free to ask any questions you want!
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7688
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:30 pm

First off, you're never too young to start getting involved with conservation. :) I think it's absolutely wonderful that you have such deep concerns about these animals and that you want to help them. No matter what age, you can start doing that. Educating others about the plight of our planet's wildlife is key. If you can educate others, no matter how little, even if they disagree, then that is helping. It sounds like the place you live needs more education about preserving their native animals.

Another thing you can start doing is avoid buying certain products that are harming the animals' natural resources. For example, Palm Oil comes directly from tiger habitats. So if you decided to avoid buying stuff with palm oil, you would be helping. In a small way, but through your example you can encourage others to follow suit.

Conservation is an uphill battle, unfortunately. There are so many other issues, and it gets pushed to the back.

I agree that animals should definitely live in their natural habitats. But I strongly support captive ownership too. I think it would be wonderful if your dad did all the research necessary prior to obtaining these animals. The two of you would need to have a thorough knowledge on their behavior and care. As well as have caging established before getting the animals. I think it's a great idea to keep them so we can preserve more in captivity. Learn as much as you can now while you're young, and I'm certain that one day you'll be able to realize your dream. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9892
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Welcome: Big cats take some special handling. Ideally if you can find someone who is keeping them right you would want to try and apprentice under that person and learn about safe handling and how to care for them.

In the USA there's this to help people get the basics: http://www.felineconservation.org/husba ... urses.html
User avatar
Peacefulward
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 am

Heya, and welcome to the forums!

I agree with everything Ash and TamanduaGirl have said.

I'm not sure what laws Bangladesh has on owning exotic animals. But since you have conservation in mind, and want to essentially open up your own private zoo, then I'm sure it's possible!
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
User avatar
ahonaswildlife
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 am

GitaBooks wrote:Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

I would never want to discourage someone who has a passion for wildlife, though I do encourage great thoughtfulness before ANY animal to know what you can afford, handle, and keep for their lifespan. I dream just as big as you, believe me, but experience will help you realize what works and what doesn't. For example, I was allergic to ferrets and had to rehome them. : ( Something you can't always anticipate.

Some wildlife jobs include working at a Wildlife Center, Orphan Animal Rehab (doesn't tend to pay well), Education Center, Wildlife Sanctuary, Exotic Pet Rescue, Conservation Center, and Zoos (private and public).

Education is such a powerful tool! It's a great idea! There are a lot of legal issues with owning dangerous animals, as they can accidentally harm people and aren't generally great for educational purposes up close. I would suggest smaller wildlife. You could rescue injured, orphaned, or abandoned animals. Some people don't keep pets well and these animals need nurtured back to strength and kept in a good home. Dogs and cats can always use a sanctuary too, if you decide to work with domestic animals as well.

I'm not sure whether or not it's legal, but make sure whatever you do you don't acquire animals from illegal breeders/sellers, as they only make things worse for the wildlife, stealing them from the wild instead of responsibly breeding them and supporting their protection in their natural habitat.

Best of luck! Feel free to ask any questions you want!


Thank you so much :thank: I really didn't expect this level of positivity. I recently joined a parrot owning forum and asked the members if a Galah Cockatoo would be right for me. They discouraged me due to my age. I know Cockatoos are a lifetime responsibility, but I have done my homework.

Anyways, I have decided to start with small wildlife, as you suggested. Currently, I'm looking around to see if Bangladesh will give me a permit for owning exotics. I think I'd like to start with Ball Pythons, but I also want a fox *bites tongue*
I've heard that your Fox will never trust you if you own snakes, but is this true?
Thanks once again :bear:
User avatar
ahonaswildlife
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:25 am

Ash wrote:First off, you're never too young to start getting involved with conservation. :) I think it's absolutely wonderful that you have such deep concerns about these animals and that you want to help them. No matter what age, you can start doing that. Educating others about the plight of our planet's wildlife is key. If you can educate others, no matter how little, even if they disagree, then that is helping. It sounds like the place you live needs more education about preserving their native animals.

Another thing you can start doing is avoid buying certain products that are harming the animals' natural resources. For example, Palm Oil comes directly from tiger habitats. So if you decided to avoid buying stuff with palm oil, you would be helping. In a small way, but through your example you can encourage others to follow suit.

Conservation is an uphill battle, unfortunately. There are so many other issues, and it gets pushed to the back.

I agree that animals should definitely live in their natural habitats. But I strongly support captive ownership too. I think it would be wonderful if your dad did all the research necessary prior to obtaining these animals. The two of you would need to have a thorough knowledge on their behavior and care. As well as have caging established before getting the animals. I think it's a great idea to keep them so we can preserve more in captivity. Learn as much as you can now while you're young, and I'm certain that one day you'll be able to realize your dream. :)


Thank you icon-smile I'm going to stop buying products that harm our wildlife. I read somewhere that palm trees are deadly to tigers (?) I don't remember where, though.
The people of my country are generally unsympathetic towards pets. The people who do own pets only own pigeons, cats and rabbits. We rarely come across a dog owner (except for my maternal uncles), and most people don't own dogs due to certain religious beliefs. I only know one owl owner, and he owns a Great Grey Owl. And yes, owls are on my wishlist.
I've decided to start with either a Ball Python or a fox. I've heard that you can't own them together, or your fox will never trust you. Can you tell me if it's true?
But first, I'll have to check with the law to see if Bangladesh gives permits for exotic pets. I don't know of any exotic pet owners in Bangladesh, though.
As for bigger animals, I'm going to start with wolfdogs. I've heard that "The Wolf Crossing" is one of the best breeders. I've read many posts on this forum that say that Mace Loftus is one of the best and most responsible breeders around.
Should I start with HCs of LCs? I REALLY want to start with HCs. But then again, who doesn't?

Thanks again :peng:
User avatar
ahonaswildlife
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:29 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Welcome: Big cats take some special handling. Ideally if you can find someone who is keeping them right you would want to try and apprentice under that person and learn about safe handling and how to care for them.

In the USA there's this to help people get the basics: http://www.felineconservation.org/husba ... urses.html


Hello, TamanduaGirl! Thanks for the warm welcome. I won't work with big cats right away, as I feel that I should gain experience with other smaller, less-dangerous exotics. Thanks for the link, though icon-smile It's really helpful.
User avatar
ahonaswildlife
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:34 am

Peacefulward wrote:Heya, and welcome to the forums!

I agree with everything Ash and TamanduaGirl have said.

I'm not sure what laws Bangladesh has on owning exotic animals. But since you have conservation in mind, and want to essentially open up your own private zoo, then I'm sure it's possible!


Thanks, Peacefulward icon-smile I hope I can do it all soooooon. I've always been fascinated by Sybil and Benny's temperaments, given the fact that Black Bears are one of the most aggressive bears in the world. I really hope we can use selective breeding to conserve these beautiful creatures. Maybe then they will become common pets. But, even dogs are known to be aggressive, and many have killed their owners, so I can't say anything about the effects of selective breeding on large exotics.
User avatar
GitaBooks
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:48 pm
Location: USA

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:09 pm

I think owning a fox and a snake is fine, as long as you keep them separate. You could try washing you're hands after handling the snake, but generally they get use to the scent on you and are okay with it. I've worked with lots of different animals and they tend to be more curious than nervous, especially if they never had a bad experience.
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7688
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 pm

As long as the snake is kept separated from the fox, it'll be fine (for the snake's sake, of course). Some foxes may react to the smell of a snake, but the phrase "they'll never trust you" just isn't true at all. I've got 6 snakes, and 3 foxes, if that helps. I have had absolutely no problems with my animals.

A ball python is a great first exotic. They're super sweet, curious, and dopey, lol. I have two of them and would like to own more someday just because they've got great personalities. They can be picky with their food, but that's the only negative thing there is about them.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
User avatar
Minty
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby Minty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:14 pm

ahonaswildlife wrote:Should I start with HCs of LCs? I REALLY want to start with HCs.

Regardless of how old you are, for people of all ages it's encouraged to start small and work up from there. Starting with low content would be easier, so while I'm no expert on wolfdogs, that's what I'd recommend. Perhaps if you're really adamant about high content, you could look into mid content? It could be a happy medium.

I'm very glad you're doing a lot of research instead of just jumping in head first. Though unless your dad is okay with having the responsibility of the animals, it may be best to wait a bit and start quite small. I don't know how the school system is in Bangladesh, but I know I never anticipated just how busy I'd be with college. At your age I was absolutely obsessed with foxes (Okay maybe I still am, but that's beside the point), and my mom was fine with me having one even. However, I decided to wait for the welfare of the animal and I'm happy I did. Now I know I'll be super-duper prepared when the day finally comes that I get a fox.
However, by no means am I trying to discourage you. If your dad is ready for it, then I say go for it. Just be sure to think this stuff through. I probably sound like the type of person you were expecting, saying no you're too young, but trust me when I say I know the feeling. I'm 17 and joined Sybil's when I was 15, and a few other pet forums when I was around 13. So while I wanted the animals for my own selfish purposes of enjoying them, not for a noble cause of education like you want yours for, I get where you're coming from.
:mrgreen: Probably not the type of animal you want, but flying squirrels are also great exotics. Like ball pythons, they're sweet and super curious, they have a lot of personality for such a little animal. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but I've noticed when I carry around mine and someone notices him it makes for a great conversation starter. So depending on how people in your country would perceive carrying around an animal with you, something small could serve as a good way to not just reach out to people, but have them actually approach you and ask. I dunno, I went off topic a bit I guess, but I really hope everything works out for you and you can achieve your dream!
User avatar
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6382
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:25 pm
Location: pa
Contact:

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby pat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 pm

ahonaswildlife wrote:. I've always been fascinated by Sybil and Benny's temperaments, given the fact that Black Bears are one of the most aggressive bears in the world. I really hope we can use selective breeding to conserve these beautiful creatures. Maybe then they will become common pets. But, even dogs are known to be aggressive, and many have killed their owners, so I can't say anything about the effects of selective breeding on large exotics.


you got that backwards about the black bears. grizzley, brown bears are more aggressive. black bears are less aggressive to work with.
personally, I would never want a grizzly or any other type of bear. I would not want tigers either. I know my limit :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Badger
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby Badger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:42 pm

As long as the adults in your life approve and help support you, and you are a committed young person, this is not for us to discourage you in your dreams. I am a HS teacher & I know how important it is for young people, ALL of us, to live our dreams. No matter what age we are, we should always listen to opposing viewpoints when doing anything. Some things have to be experienced before we understand the wisdom and advice of others. As a rancher, I have seen what happens when wildlife is caged or contained in any way. Domestic animals are bred to be contained. The need to be wild is genetically altered. It is why you really shouldn't release domesticated animals into the wild bcs they often cannot survive bcs they lack the genetic traits to do so well.
Having raised some wild animals in my life, I can say if you have a way to let any wild you choose to raise have a way to 'be' itself, then containing it will much easier on it. This could mean many things, depending upon the animal, like the environment you give it to live in, its food, how it gets its food, to any 'job' you give it or let it have. These sorts of things can make for a happier wild animal in captivity. And your life will undoubtedly be richer for the experiences you have raising and loving them.
Good luck young lady!
User avatar
ahonaswildlife
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am

GitaBooks wrote:I think owning a fox and a snake is fine, as long as you keep them separate. You could try washing you're hands after handling the snake, but generally they get use to the scent on you and are okay with it. I've worked with lots of different animals and they tend to be more curious than nervous, especially if they never had a bad experience.

Thnx ❤️

Return to “INTRODUCTION”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest