New Member + Inquiries

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

ahonaswildlife

Re: New Member + Inquiries

Postby ahonaswildlife » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 am

Ash wrote:As long as the snake is kept separated from the fox, it'll be fine (for the snake's sake, of course). Some foxes may react to the smell of a snake, but the phrase "they'll never trust you" just isn't true at all. I've got 6 snakes, and 3 foxes, if that helps. I have had absolutely no problems with my animals.

A ball python is a great first exotic. They're super sweet, curious, and dopey, lol. I have two of them and would like to own more someday just because they've got great personalities. They can be picky with their food, but that's the only negative thing there is about them.

Aww, thanks ❤️ I feel so reassured now
ahonaswildlife

Postby ahonaswildlife » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 am

Minty wrote:
ahonaswildlife wrote:Should I start with HCs of LCs? I REALLY want to start with HCs.

Regardless of how old you are, for people of all ages it's encouraged to start small and work up from there. Starting with low content would be easier, so while I'm no expert on wolfdogs, that's what I'd recommend. Perhaps if you're really adamant about high content, you could look into mid content? It could be a happy medium.

I'm very glad you're doing a lot of research instead of just jumping in head first. Though unless your dad is okay with having the responsibility of the animals, it may be best to wait a bit and start quite small. I don't know how the school system is in Bangladesh, but I know I never anticipated just how busy I'd be with college. At your age I was absolutely obsessed with foxes (Okay maybe I still am, but that's beside the point), and my mom was fine with me having one even. However, I decided to wait for the welfare of the animal and I'm happy I did. Now I know I'll be super-duper prepared when the day finally comes that I get a fox.
However, by no means am I trying to discourage you. If your dad is ready for it, then I say go for it. Just be sure to think this stuff through. I probably sound like the type of person you were expecting, saying no you're too young, but trust me when I say I know the feeling. I'm 17 and joined Sybil's when I was 15, and a few other pet forums when I was around 13. So while I wanted the animals for my own selfish purposes of enjoying them, not for a noble cause of education like you want yours for, I get where you're coming from.
:mrgreen: Probably not the type of animal you want, but flying squirrels are also great exotics. Like ball pythons, they're sweet and super curious, they have a lot of personality for such a little animal. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but I've noticed when I carry around mine and someone notices him it makes for a great conversation starter. So depending on how people in your country would perceive carrying around an animal with you, something small could serve as a good way to not just reach out to people, but have them actually approach you and ask. I dunno, I went off topic a bit I guess, but I really hope everything works out for you and you can achieve your dream!

I LOVE FLYING SQUIRRELS! Idk if I should get a flying squirrel or a sugar glider tho
ahonaswildlife

Postby ahonaswildlife » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 am

pat wrote:
ahonaswildlife wrote:. I've always been fascinated by Sybil and Benny's temperaments, given the fact that Black Bears are one of the most aggressive bears in the world. I really hope we can use selective breeding to conserve these beautiful creatures. Maybe then they will become common pets. But, even dogs are known to be aggressive, and many have killed their owners, so I can't say anything about the effects of selective breeding on large exotics.

you got that backwards about the black bears. grizzley, brown bears are more aggressive. black bears are less aggressive to work with.
personally, I would never want a grizzly or any other type of bear. I would not want tigers either. I know my limit :lol:

I was referring to Asian Black Bears lmao
Anyways, if I ever keep a bear, I'm either keeping a black, grizzly or polar
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm

I was referring to Asian Black Bears lmao
Anyways, if I ever keep a bear, I'm either keeping a black, grizzly or polar

good luck to that. both are a lot harder to work with. hope you have help and complete understanding of them.
don't know where you live, but, in the U.S, most are not allowed. maybe the black bears, but, the regulations are getting very tough anymore.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 pm

If I were rich I might consider sloth bears, not entirely impossible to get but very difficult as you need the endangered license (I think) but I know someone with them. But realistically I am intimidated by larger species, not them so much but their care, like you can't just pick them up to take to the vet like you can small species, or hold them down for blood draws and x-rays.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “INTRODUCTION”