PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Greetings from Belgium

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Arakun

Greetings from Belgium

Postby Arakun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi everybody
I'm a very happy and proud mom of 2 sweet raccoons. I bought them from a breeder when they were 5 weeks old. Very soon, they'll turn 9 months. Now, I'm crazy about raccoons and everything related to them. You might ask yourself how come somebody from BE gets so crazy about raccoons....even get ready to fly to US just to have them, NOT as pets, but as KIDS, members of our family...well, a Twitter friend passed this 'microbe' to me and I fell in love with them. I read all the books I could get...I ordered books even in US. And I was lost.
You must know raccoons are NOT welcome in EU...there are a lot of idiot things you have to fight for...It is NOT / it will NEVER be my intention to sell them. They - brother and sister - are our kids, with ONLY rights and NO obligations whatsoever...They are FREE and they'll be FREE as long as they live. They have their own room, and soon, as the weather will turn better, their own private entrance to their own terrace, with shadow and fountain. A swimming pool might be added...all sorts of climbing items will be installed, too..
I promised them a royal life...I like to keep my promises.... icon-smile
Ain't No Thing Like Me, Except Me!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Belgium

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Welcome. Sounds like you are giving them a great life.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Im so glad you're here! This is my good friend of several years, she'll be an excellent addition to
the coon group. Plus her kids are the most gorgeous raccoons I've ever seen, her Porphy is almost
completely black, I was so jealous when I saw him, Senora was supposed to look like that! :lol:
Arakun

Postby Arakun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Thank you, Ana, it's thanks to YOU my kids look so healthy...Please remember how you guided me, step by step, you even made a video to show me how I must feed them - reading about it, it is 1 thing, doing it, it's totally different - I'll NEVER be thankful enough to you...You are their Auntie, too ! And we're proud of our relatives from US...IT TRU !
Everybody can see my kids on : https://www.facebook.com/smits.danny

RACCOONS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD< UNITE !
Ain't No Thing Like Me, Except Me!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Welcome! It's great to have you hear. It sounds like your babies are living a good life. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Arakun Welcome, its so good to hear from a "newbie" that realizes the responsibilities involved in being owned by a coon...or two.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 am

Isn't the EU banning raccoons now, as an "invasive species"? :(
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:20 pm

The EU is banning them, but existing owners are allowed to keep theirs, but not sell or trade them, or breed them. They must be neutered, and kept in a secure, escape proof enclosure. They can only be moved if going to the vet, the owner is moving house, or they are being surrendered to a zoo or sanctuary. The idea is to phase them out via attrition (when the existing ones die, that's it)
Commercial owners aren't allowed to keep them, and must get rid of existing stocks after 2 years (in the case of raccoons, this would be fur farmers)
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “INTRODUCTION”