HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Newbie <3

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

hearingdamage

Newbie <3

Postby hearingdamage » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 am

Hello, people! :)
I've gained an interest in exotic pets, so I decided to join this forum because it seems pretty resourceful.
I'm not sure about what animal I'll keep, but I'm doing research on all the animals I'd like to have. I don't want to buy them on impulse and then end up having to give them up.
I'd really appreciate some help! <3
Without the dark, you'd never see the stars
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie <3

Postby pat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:37 am

welcome hearingdamage

lots of good info on this message board.
glad to hear you are doing research prior to getting an exotic animal.

I have raised lots of different different animals, including foxes, black bears... my personal preference are raccoons.

a lot of people want foxes because of their beauty. sadly, some find out later, a fox is not what they thought it would be like.
your research will help you decide what animal to get.

thank you for joining us, and thank you for researching first.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

What is your situation? Do you have land or will they need to be inside animals? Do you rent or own? How much time do you have? Money? What do you want from a pet, affection, looks, outgoing, homebody?

Edit: not meaning to grill you but it reads like you want suggestions on animals to get and your situation and current animal experience etc will matter for that.
Lara

Postby Lara » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Welcome! I hope you find the forum informative, and feel free to ask any questions you have! (:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi, and welcome! What kind of exotics are you interested in?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 am

pat wrote:welcome hearingdamage

lots of good info on this message board.
glad to hear you are doing research prior to getting an exotic animal.

I have raised lots of different different animals, including foxes, black bears... my personal preference are raccoons.

a lot of people want foxes because of their beauty. sadly, some find out later, a fox is not what they thought it would be like.
your research will help you decide what animal to get.

thank you for joining us, and thank you for researching first.

:) Thanks.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:What is your situation? Do you have land or will they need to be inside animals? Do you rent or own? How much time do you have? Money? What do you want from a pet, affection, looks, outgoing, homebody?

Edit: not meaning to grill you but it reads like you want suggestions on animals to get and your situation and current animal experience etc will matter for that.

I own, I have land, I have time. I know what I'm getting myself into. I know this isn't for everyone. I'm considering a fox for now. I'm currently reading up on other fox owners' experiences. Thank you.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:46 am

Lara wrote:Welcome! I hope you find the forum informative, and feel free to ask any questions you have! (:

Thanks! <3
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 am

Ash wrote:Hi, and welcome! What kind of exotics are you interested in?

Mammals, mostly. I like reptiles, too, but that would probably creep my family out.
I have a huge list, but I'm being realistic so I'm gonna narrow it down to foxes, cougars and bears. I don't plan on keeping them all. I'm still doing research because I don't want to ruin their lives. I'm not gonna let any animal bear the brunt of my inexperience. Sooo currently I'm racking up experience points.
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Hello! I hope you find this message board helpful. Its certainly helped me quite a bit. Its good that you're doing as much research as you can! I still don't know 100% what animals I'll have in the future myself, so I'm just learning as much as I can about as many animals as I can. Its fun to learn about animals either way. What I like to do is make my own personal caresheets. Its lots of fun and helps me retain the information I come across. Of course gaining hands-on experience is pretty crucial, too.

Will a pet fox be something happening in the near future (within the next few years)? Something you have to think about is where you'll end up. For example, if you still live with your parents, you may want to wait awhile and see where your life goes. I'm 18 and still live with my parents and have no idea where I'm going to end up just yet. I'm currently in no position to get many more animals, especially something like a fox. Not trying to persuade you out of a fox or anything, get one when you feel like you're ready. You seem quite serious about this, after all. Its just something that is really important to think about!
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Aw, too bad reptiles are out of the picture for now! They're amazing.

I think foxes are great starter exotics. They are my starter exotic, and I'm in love with them. As long as you know what you're getting into and have everything prepared in advance, they're great. What species of fox are you interested in? I love red foxes, but the other species pique my interest as well.

I'm glad you're being responsible about it. Most people leap right into ownership without a second thought. So it's great that you're being so thorough.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am

Onyx wrote:Hello! I hope you find this message board helpful. Its certainly helped me quite a bit. Its good that you're doing as much research as you can! I still don't know 100% what animals I'll have in the future myself, so I'm just learning as much as I can about as many animals as I can. Its fun to learn about animals either way. What I like to do is make my own personal caresheets. Its lots of fun and helps me retain the information I come across. Of course gaining hands-on experience is pretty crucial, too.

Will a pet fox be something happening in the near future (within the next few years)? Something you have to think about is where you'll end up. For example, if you still live with your parents, you may want to wait awhile and see where your life goes. I'm 18 and still live with my parents and have no idea where I'm going to end up just yet. I'm currently in no position to get many more animals, especially something like a fox. Not trying to persuade you out of a fox or anything, get one when you feel like you're ready. You seem quite serious about this, after all. Its just something that is really important to think about!

It'll be a VERY long time before I own a fox, tbh. I wish to be a marine biologist (I think), but I'm open to any animal-related careers with good salaries. I'm just making sure if this is something I can handle.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 am

Ash wrote:Aw, too bad reptiles are out of the picture for now! They're amazing.

I think foxes are great starter exotics. They are my starter exotic, and I'm in love with them. As long as you know what you're getting into and have everything prepared in advance, they're great. What species of fox are you interested in? I love red foxes, but the other species pique my interest as well.

I'm glad you're being responsible about it. Most people leap right into ownership without a second thought. So it's great that you're being so thorough.

Thank you :) I'm interested in Reds, yes. I'm currently measuring the pros against the cons, and deciding whether I can handle this or not. I heard they smell REALLY bad. I'm a very clean person and my home reflects it. I do have open space, though. I'm going to build an enclosure (if I go along with this...) I know they don't do good as indoor animals.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 pm

hearingdamage wrote:
I own, I have land, I have time. I know what I'm getting myself into. I know this isn't for everyone. I'm considering a fox for now. I'm currently reading up on other fox owners' experiences. Thank you.

Okay. You're initial post sounded like you were wanting help deciding on what exotic to get, which happens, and more information would have been needed to make suggestions. Good to see someone doing all the research before hand.

Yes they smell. Some people have their neighbors complain about their outside red foxes, it's that strong. One person here kept having trouble with people at work complaining about the smell on her clothes(I think she had hers inside though).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:00 pm

They do smell, and even if you get used to the smell, your neighbors and guests won't. So yeah, that is definitely a con to owning a red fox is their odor--rather, the odor of their urine and feces. Having an outdoor enclosure is essential, and this is one of the many reasons why. I'm glad that you're planning on building one when/if you get your fox. :)

Return to “INTRODUCTION”