PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Newbie <3

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Re: Newbie <3

Postby Trefoil » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm

About the smell. There are products out there that take care of the problem. For my skunk I used marshall bi odor. I put the recommended amount in his drinking water and it worked. Its supposed to be safe and it must be tasteless or close to it. I believe its enzymes. It also eliminates body odor.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:
hearingdamage wrote:
I own, I have land, I have time. I know what I'm getting myself into. I know this isn't for everyone. I'm considering a fox for now. I'm currently reading up on other fox owners' experiences. Thank you.

Okay. You're initial post sounded like you were wanting help deciding on what exotic to get, which happens, and more information would have been needed to make suggestions. Good to see someone doing all the research before hand.

Yes they smell. Some people have their neighbors complain about their outside red foxes, it's that strong. One person here kept having trouble with people at work complaining about the smell on her clothes(I think she had hers inside though).

Oh, it's that bad? Guess I need to meet some fox owners first. You know, judge for myself. I'm really clean and all so idk if I can handle that.
Without the dark, you'd never see the stars
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:04 am

Ash wrote:They do smell, and even if you get used to the smell, your neighbors and guests won't. So yeah, that is definitely a con to owning a red fox is their odor--rather, the odor of their urine and feces. Having an outdoor enclosure is essential, and this is one of the many reasons why. I'm glad that you're planning on building one when/if you get your fox. :)

Well...that is a problem. I want to move to Portland in the future (I heard exotics are banned there, haven't done research on that yet). My dream home would be a 3-story glass house on a private woodlot.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 am

Trefoil wrote:About the smell. There are products out there that take care of the problem. For my skunk I used marshall bi odor. I put the recommended amount in his drinking water and it worked. Its supposed to be safe and it must be tasteless or close to it. I believe its enzymes. It also eliminates body odor.

Thank you <3 This was really helpful.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 pm

hearingdamage wrote:
Ash wrote:They do smell, and even if you get used to the smell, your neighbors and guests won't. So yeah, that is definitely a con to owning a red fox is their odor--rather, the odor of their urine and feces. Having an outdoor enclosure is essential, and this is one of the many reasons why. I'm glad that you're planning on building one when/if you get your fox. :)

Well...that is a problem. I want to move to Portland in the future (I heard exotics are banned there, haven't done research on that yet). My dream home would be a 3-story glass house on a private woodlot.

Yeah no exotics in Portland they are/were allowed in the county though, I think they were trying to pass an exotic ban recently but I haven't heard more about it. So might be possible to live kinda near Portland and commute.

OH but you can't have foxes at all in Oregon unless you are USDA licensed.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:10 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:
hearingdamage wrote:

Yeah no exotics in Portland they are/were allowed in the county though, I think they were trying to pass an exotic ban recently but I haven't heard more about it. So might be possible to live kinda near Portland and commute.

OH but you can't have foxes at all in Oregon unless you are USDA licensed.

Oh, sucks for me :( You live in Oregon, right? And you're a Tamandua owner?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Yes and I have a fennec but only because I have my USDA. Tamandua's are allowed without license but they are more of an exotic for someone with exotic experience already with how delicate they are. The whole western half of the US sucks for pet foxes.
hearingdamage

Postby hearingdamage » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:27 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Yes and I have a fennec but only because I have my USDA. Tamandua's are allowed without license but they are more of an exotic for someone with exotic experience already with how delicate they are. The whole western half of the US sucks for pet foxes.

Gee, thanks!

Return to “INTRODUCTION”