PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello Everyone

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kwandrsn

Hello Everyone

Postby Kwandrsn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 am

Hello my name is Kevin
I live in Middle Tennessee
My wife and I are getting a baby red fox in May. I've done a lot of research and feel like I'm pretty prepared for getting him/her. We are in the process of making a good outdoor enclosure for when he/she is old enough to use one. I have been around exotic pets before, just not foxes. We have plenty of room and feel like a fox will be a good addition. Have actually been researching foxes for about a year and just now decided on adding one to our family. We are getting him/her from a local breeder here in TN and they have been awesome at answering any questions I have. As well as a few fox owners I've talked to from TN.

We currently have a dog, hedgehog, lots of freshwater and saltwater fish and coral. Have owned lots of other animals in the past.

I joined here so I can comb thru posts to try to learn as much as I can and try to get answers for any questions we have. Everyone has their way of doing things and experiences and it's nice to take all that in for future reference. We have a few months to prepare for it's arrival and we are excited to meet our new family member.
Kevin Anderson
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Hello, and welcome! And congrats on your decision to get yourself a little kit. When you're prepared for them, foxes are absolutely wonderful and make good pets. Knowing what to expect out of a fox is a big hurdle, and it sounds like you've been doing your research for quite some time.

Do you know yet which gender and what color you're getting?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

No I don't know the sex yet but I requested a pure red. It's coming from Frazier's Farm
Kevin Anderson
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm

I don't guess I care what sex we get. I've always had good luck with female dogs but of course a fox isn't anything like a dog so I don't really have a preference. Definitely want a pure red fox. They are beautiful creatures. I was torn between a red or an Arctic. My wife really like the marbled reds but she let me choose. I figured closer to them being born I'll call and discuss the sex. Want to wait on ordering harness and stuff until we know for sure. Also can't choose a name either.
Kevin Anderson
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Congratulations on your soon to be new addition.
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Trefoil wrote:Congratulations on your soon to be new addition.

Thank you!
Kevin Anderson
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:20 am

Classic red is a beautiful color. My Ifrit is a classic red and is just gorgeous.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 am

Ash wrote:Classic red is a beautiful color. My Ifrit is a classic red and is just gorgeous.

Yeah when I think of a fox I think of a red fox. While all the others are beautiful and I'd love to have one in every color I had to go with red. Maybe in the future we will get a marbled but Im just going to stick with one for now because I'm expecting it's going to be hard enough raising one at first. How long have you been raising foxes? I'm planning on putting it's harness on daily and taking it with me places as much as I can, especially when it's young. I want it to get used to going places. We live in the country so even if it's is walk around the property or running down to the local co-op. I really want it used to people. Hopefully it takes to that, just have to wait and see if he/she can handle it.

I think the diet is one of the main things I don't have figured out. Seems like everyone feeds different things. The breeder told me a 50/50 mix of dog and cat kibble (organic grain free) on top of a live diet and fruits and veggies. I seen on another breeders website 2 kinds of dog foods one was blue buffalo and the other merrik or something from tsc. We have a small local grocery store I am going to see what types of "raw" foods I can get. I'm assuming about any part of a chicken is fine. But I was wondering about chicken bones. They are not good for dogs but ok for foxes? I'm sure I can get any "organs" from the meat Dept at the grocery store just not 100% clear on what all is good and what is bad. And what needs to be cooked vs what needs to be raw. I was told no pork and very little beef. I looked on here and there is lots of info.... Almost too much if that makes any sense lol. I just want to make sure I'm feeding him/her everything they need
Kevin Anderson
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 am

I will ditto Trefoil, how about naming it Bobo or thistle
Bora Kalem
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 am

TurkRoach wrote:I will ditto Trefoil, how about naming it Bobo or thistle

Just waiting to find out if it's a male or female... Thistle is cool though
Kevin Anderson
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

I love hearing about people who prepare in advance. You'll make a wonderful family for that fox : )
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

I love hearing about people who prepare in advance. You'll make a wonderful family for that fox : )

Thank you. We are going to try our very best. If it's not a happy, spoiled little fox it will be of no fault of ours icon-smile
Kevin Anderson
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 pm

I think your idea about socializing your baby is great. My daughter wanted a coon and in my brilliant idea of parenting, I made her take responsibility for him. She had to take him with her where ever she went- he had to be feed. While personality does make a huge difference. The Binxster was the "most domestic"coon I've ever seen. Nothing shook him and he was reliable around anyone- after he got over his baby crazies. He just knew everyone loved him and so they did.
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Trefoil wrote:I think your idea about socializing your baby is great. My daughter wanted a coon and in my brilliant idea of parenting, I made her take responsibility for him. She had to take him with her where ever she went- he had to be feed. While personality does make a huge difference. The Binxster was the "most domestic"coon I've ever seen. Nothing shook him and he was reliable around anyone- after he got over his baby crazies. He just knew everyone loved him and so they did.

That's why I am going to try taking him places as much as I can. I know foxes have their own ways but I would like it to be as social as possible. If someone comes to my house Id like for them to be able to pet him and be around him. But I know what I want and what I get are two different things. But we are going to try our best to make sure he/she is comfortable around everyone and as tame as we can possibly get him/her if that makes any sense
Kevin Anderson

Return to “INTRODUCTION”