PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi everyone - greetings, background, my fuzzy fam

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Mathilda

Hi everyone - greetings, background, my fuzzy fam

Postby Mathilda » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been referencing this board for a long time and finally decided to actually join the community. :)

My background (I'll limit it to the relevant stuff because I know the four-legged friends are the star of the show! :lol: ): I'm a state wildlife rehabilitator, which here is unfortunately more highly regulated regarding possessing animals (for rebah and future release/placement if necessary) than hunting and trapping is! :wall: I was previously a rehabilitator in another state after a long apprenticeship, and later a Wildlife Educator (our facillity didn't rehab/release but rather housed non-releasable "animal ambassadors" - from black bear to cougar to coyotes to wolves and a variety of foxes to racoons, salamanders, snakes... anything native to the state including exterpated animals) where I worked closely with the animals and educated the public about coexistence with wildlife, why most baby animals DO NOT need rescuing and how to best help them, the truth regarding "vicious" predators and "filthy trash-eating vermin" and the real vs imagined danger to kids/pets/people, the natural ecological balance and how humans have disrupted it..... etc etc. I've also worked with exotic animals such as large cats, kangaroos, capuchins, a spider monkey (I once got bit by a spider-bit spider monkey lol), lemurs, coatis, etc at a (need it be said) non-AZA traveling zoo. I'm a professional horse trainer to pay the bills. (For the record, horse training is a very poor choice if one wishes to pay bills).

With that out of the way, now the "unusual" fuzzy fam - skipping the domestic herd animals. The love of my life is an Asian Dingo, aka Pariah Dog, aka Khmer Village Dog, or whatever you'd like to call the "breed" - not an accurate term in this case, but anyways. I nabbed him as a small sick pup while living in rural Cambodia (please see FAQ below) and he just turned 5 years old. He's universally known by all who meet him as "the best/most well behaved dog ever" (unless they knew him before about 18 months old, in which case he's known as "that wild little s****head demon monster" :lol: ). I also now have a coyote pup, which is a large reason I'm joining y'all. TBH I'm very nervous about legality issues, and while anyone who knows me personally could easily identify me from the details I've already given, I'm concerned about sharing too many generally identifying details because having a coyote (even as a rehabber) is highly illegal in my state - as in most - unless of course you want to skin it, put it in a cage and run it down with hounds to be ripped apart alive, caught it in a leg trap and want to collect urine for a while before killing it, or have other imaginative plans for its impending death. :wall: :wall: :wall: Even releasing it is *hugely* illegal. :wall: More details on the situation will be in my next post in the appropriate forum. It wasn't an intentional acquisition, but it is what it is.

Dingo FAQ (y'all may know this stuff because you're all more knowledgeable than most, but I always have to answer these things so here they are :roll: ): Yes he's really from Cambodia and no, it wasn't difficult to catch him. No, America doesn't have a quarantine on importing dogs, I flew with him in my carry-on from Cambodia. No, dingos aren't native to Australia, they're natives of Asia and were brought by sea-farers to Australia where they're a feral, introduced dog. No, a dingo isn't a wild canid like a wolf, coyote, fox, dhole, jackal etc - a dingo is genetically speaking a primitive domestic dog which has never been selectively bred in the way modern breed dogs have been - this includes selective-bred primitive breeds like the shiba inu and basenji which are still amazing, beautiful, difficult primitive breeds. No they're not pets in rural Cambodia but neither are they truly "wild" - they're the village garbage crew/vermin control and do as they please.

Anyways is excellent to finally join and say hi - I'm hoping some of y'all can help me with coyote questions and like I said, there'll be more info about that in my next post in a more appropriate sub. Kind regards, y'all! :mrgreen:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi everyone - greetings, background, my fuzzy fam

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 20, 2018 12:18 am

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the interesting and detailed intro.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi. It's great to have such a knowledgeable member joining us. :) Definitely sounds like you've been around the block with animals, lol.

Sadly in many states it's illegal to rehab coyotes. Here in Utah it's illegal to rehab raccoons and foxes--they need to be put down. :(
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Mathilda

Postby Mathilda » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Ash - Thank you for your kind words - I'm sure many many people here are much more knowledgeable than myself, I just do my best. :)

It's just foxes and coyotes which are illegal to rehab here (excluding of course MBTA, I think - state and federal sources gave me unclear answers so I assume it's a "no"), the reason our DNR gives is because they're a rabies vector... which is silly because racoons, skunks, possums etc can be rehabbed. Then again the coyote is technically an invasive species here.... it's all beyond me honestly, but dangit how could anybody put down a couple weeks old fuzz-potato. If it IS ever (God forbid) necessary I can do it humanely, but I hope it's never necessary. It's crazy how much the laws vary between states though. Especially when it comes to exotic animal ownership, I'm sure y'all appreciate that more than most.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”