PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I'm pretty sure I forgot to post in here. lol.

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

meganrenee

I'm pretty sure I forgot to post in here. lol.

Postby meganrenee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:10 am

Hello everyone... my name is Megan, I live in FL, and I'm obsessed with exotics... particularly foxes... but I also have a list with like 30 other animals on it that I would like to own someday. I do an insane amount of research before I decide to get an animal because I hate the people that get something just because it's cute and then hate it's personality or habits so they get rid of it.

So I've never actually owned an exotic before, unless you count chinchillas, but if all goes well I will have a fox this summer :peng:

Right now I have a shy hamster named Dopey, a super fat leopard gecko named Kairi, a crazy guinea pig named Bing, and 2 evil mastermind chinchillas named Coconut and Kiwi. I'm also supposed to pick up a boyfriend for Kairi tomorrow. His name will be Sora. tee hee. I'm hoping to breed them soon.

I don't really know anyone on here all that well and I'm always looking to make friends that love animals as much as I do so send me a message if you wanna talk or have any questions. :piggy:
Mommy of Menchii the fennec fox.
Foster mommy of Cosmo the chihuahua mix and Winter the American Eskimo dog mix.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Re: I'm pretty sure I forgot to post in here. lol.

Postby cat person » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 am

Hi meganrenee,

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen: . I hope you enjoy your stay. I used to breed Chinchilla's. So if I can help to you in that regard let me know.

Congratulations on getting your fox soon :mrgreen: . There are plenty of knowledgeable fox owners on this site. So I am sure you will get a lot of good information. What species of fox are you getting?

I have three domestic cats and a Savannah cat. I hope your sake your fox is calmer then my hybrid cat :lol: . I love my Loki but living with him is not always easy icon_biggin.gif .

Again welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your stay. Thank you for posting in this section as well :rhin: .
meganrenee

Postby meganrenee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:36 pm

I would LOVE to breed my chinchillas, but I can't for the life of me find a decently priced female in my area. Everyone is asking like $250 for a standard grey. But my boys are still relatively young so I have plenty of time to find some ladies for them.

As for a fox I am trying to get a swift. If that for some reason doesn't work out then I will probably get a fennec. I would also like to get a silver, a red, and an arctic sometime in the future... like maybe 5 to 10 years from now.

Savannah cats are so gorgeous. I have mixed emotions about domestic cats... a lot of my friends have super sweet, wonderful kitties, and then others have these demon kitties that are possessed. lol. Obviously there are more of the sweet ones though. I was also attacked by my grandmothers cat when I was very young so that might have something to do with it too. But I love the ones that come up to me and want to be petted or snuggled icon-smile
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi, I'm Kelsey. icon-smile

I love Chinchillas. I've always wanted to own one, but just never got the chance. I think if I have kids one day, I will get them one. If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me a little more about them? Such as their personalities. I am just curious. icon-smile
meganrenee

Postby meganrenee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Kelsey, of course I don't mind you asking. Well, I haven't had my chins since they were little. I actually got them when they were 4 years old already, so I think that they would be more cuddly/like to be handled more if I had had them since they were babies.

With that being said my boys don't like to be picked up or snuggled. icon-sad They will let me pet them for short periods of time... and when I let them out to play they will jump up on my lap or my shoulders. They also eat treats right out of my hand. They have never ever bitten me, only nibbled occasionally when they thought that I had food.

They love to sit and stare at you for some reason. It always looks like they are plotting your demise. :monk-dev: They are very mischievous and love to get into anything that they can, so I have to monitor them pretty closely when I let them out.

On the bright side, when they get active at night they are such fun to watch! And they are so entertaining when they take their dust bath! It looks like they're in a dryer! :rhin: I think that the best way that I can describe their personalities would be psychotically adorable.

I think that chinchillas would be the perfect pets if you get them when they are babies and spend a lot of time holding them and getting them used to physical contact. They might not be the best pets for little kids because they are fragile, but if the kids are gentle then I think that chinchillas might be a good pet. :mrgreen:

I hoped that helped.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Chinchillas have always seemed cute to me, but I vowed after high school I would never have another animal with cedar shavings, or any type of bedding like that, for some reason it made me itchy cleaning out their cage.

Nice to meet you meganrenee! I'm from FL too.
:peng:
meganrenee

Postby meganrenee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi tombraiderwes. I would prefer animals that don't have cages that need to be cleaned out, but I don't really mind cleaning the cages out that much. I love my babies and in my mind it's kinda like diaper changing with real babies... you love them enough to do it even though it sucks and is messy. But at least all of my pets' poop are less smelly and gross than human poop :lol:
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:44 am

Welcome again. icon_biggin.gif

I've got chinchillas tooo :mrgreen: (And they're awesome.) And sheesh, that's ridiculous that they're at that price. :| I thought my pet store was extremely over-priced selling them at $150 or so for a standard (I can understand that from a breeder - but considering that you can't get actual babies from the pet store, and they're not Really socialized, I think it's an over-price for them.)
If my chinchillas breed, I'd be selling the grays for most likely under $100, and I'd like to sell one to you if I got a female! But considering we're so far away that probably won't happen. :icon-frown: So I hope you can find some good priced ones then... icon-smile

And Wes - I'm just saying this because people I know have had the same problem; they don't need cedar bedding, and you can use other things that may not cause a reaction - my dad's allergic to the cedar stuff as well, but I have them now on Carefresh and he does just fine. ...Now my brother is another story because he's allergic to their dust. icon_confused.gif But it doesn't sound like you have that, so it's just a suggestion (if you can try that stuff on something else before you got one if you wanted to get a chinchilla.) Lol, that was a really poorly worded paragraph, but I hope you got what I was trying to say. icon-smile

And congratulations Megan on your most likely forthcoming foxy!! icon_biggin.gif
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
meganrenee

Postby meganrenee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 am

Thank you Foxadorer. I use carefresh for my chinchillas too but I use cedar shavings for my guinea pig and hamster. And thank for the offer of selling me a girl chinchilla... hopefully I can find one near me though. Otherwise it would cost as much in gas as it would for the chinchilla lol :icon-wink:

I was so sad though because I was looking online the other day at chinchilla life spans. All the time that I've had them I had thought that they usually lived to be 20 years old because that's what my friend that breeds them had told me... but then I saw online that the average age for chinchillas is only 10 to 12 years icon-sad I hope mine live to be old farts though :mrgreen:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm

Maybe your friends do live that long. Like I know a breeder who's chihuahuas regularly live into their 20's but normally the breed only lives into their teens. A plus of using good breeders on domestic animals.
meganrenee

Postby meganrenee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Huh, I never even thought of that :roll: I'm so silly sometimes. Well I hope that mine came from a good breeder (I honestly have no idea since their previous owner did not say who she bought them from). I hope they get that old though. I love my boys :mrgreen: Oh, and TamanduaGirl can I just say that Pua is ridiculously cute! She makes me happy :mrgreen: I hope that I can have a Tamandua one day... I won't hold my breath though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Yeah it's not like I know any more than you about chinchilla life spans, probably less, but it sounds like it could be a similar scenario. The average living so long but good lines averaging longer. Did google though the oldest chinchilla on record died at 26, wow.

Thank you. She's a sweet girl.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

TG, is that photo you have of Pua in your signature actually her? I have seen that picture all over the internet!

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 am

Yeah that's her. She gets around.

Well, she and Stewie's images.
meganrenee

Postby meganrenee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:40 am

I've seen that picture everywhere too. But then again I'm sure a lot of people don't have access to Tamanduas to take pictures of so you are probably one of the only people that photographs them. It's so cute that she can shake peoples' hands! That reminds me of that thing you did on your website where you explained the difference between anteaters and aardvarks and you said something like "an anteater will shake your hand but an aardvark will run away" I can't remember exactly what it was but it was a long time ago when I saw it. My memory isn't the best lol :roll:

Return to “INTRODUCTION”