PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Hello!

Postby Alynn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm a new addition to your forums. Fresh meat, haha.

I have actually been stalking these boards for a little awhile, and only now have I finally decided to join. :)

A few things you should know about me...

I'm 13 years old, and I'm turning 14 in May. If it were up to me, I would have never aged past 11. But anyway, I also enjoy writing, reading, intellectual pursuit, debate, creating art and animating. As far as sports go, I enjoy playing soccer and horse-back riding, mostly English style. Right now I'm riding an flea-bitten gray Arabian mare named Dixie Lou.

I am a very opinated person about just about everything, especially animals.

I have six pets (I actually only wanted three, Samantha the dog and the two mice, but I got stuck with the other half of them. :P). My six pets are Samantha my seven year old English Setter mix, Jack, my Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix (who my parents randomly got for me one day, that I didn't want but kept anyway), Amber, my four year old semi-long haired dilute tortoiseshell who I raised off a bottle.

Yes, that means I raised her and her litter mates when I was 10 years old. I actually found her litter two days after my birthday and I bottle fed them every two hours on my own until I weaned them and sent (most) of them off to new homes. I used up my entire allowance and birthday money buying formula and other supplies. Then, there's Fender, the five-year-old black long-haired cat who really isn't my cat, but my brother's who left for college and couldn't take him, and then there's the two mice.

The two mice are Sable and Hazelnut (Hazel for short), and I got them a year ago. One of the mice has started to become lethargic and somewhat unresponsive, so right now I'm a bit worried that she may be on her last legs.

I'm a part time college student (believe it or not). I attend a middle college, am dual-enrolled taking both highschool and college classes, and I'm working towards an associates in the arts. I plan to get my associates, then get in a bachelors in Communications or Psychology (or double-major in both). Afterwards, I haven't decided if I want to continue on and get a Master's (before I'm 18), or to go back a little and get my associates in Aviation technology.

I plan on joining the Air Force once I'm 18, and it's my dream to become an Air Force pilot, of any kind really. I'm aware of everything being a pilot entails, and how difficult it is to get a slot, but if I can't I'd at least like to serve in the military for awhile.

After I leave the Air Force, I want to go to Law School (University of Michigan is where I want to go!) and begin practicing law.

... Sorry for the short biography. >>;

The reason I joined the message board is because I plan on getting a pet fox. I'm pretty sure I want to get a Fennec, but I'm also investigating the up's and down's of getting a different species. Don't worry - I have been doing almost constant research since June of 2010. I've picked out a breeder, and I'm going to be paying for a good chunk of the expenses. I do understand everything that comes with owning a fox, so don't be too concerned that I don't know what I'm doing.

... I hope I don't come off as arrogant. I do have a lot to learn and I want to learn. D:

... So yeah. There you go. Me. :D
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Welcome. When are you planning to get the fox? The concern would be what you will do with the fox when you are off flying planes in some other country. Basically if you get a fox before retiring from the military who is really getting and caring for the fox because you wont be home much? Even when in the USA they can station you where ever they want so you will still only be home to see the fox on leave. If you are planning that far ahead to getting one after you retire from the air force then that's great but if not your situation isn't ideal for getting a fox.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:40 pm

My best friend, who is also in college right now (she's five years older than me and is currently living in the dorms, but comes down very often and is like a sister to me. We talk everyday. :D ), is very good with animals. She's worked with many different animals throughout her life and expects to have her own home within five years. If I end up getting stationed in a state where foxes aren't legal, she says that she should be able to take care of a fox should I end up in a situation that I end up in a state where I can't keep a fox. Granted, she will need me to send her money to help pay for the expenses, and I'll probably be sure to throw in extra money for her troubles.

My parents are probably going to end up taking care of my dogs and cats while I'm away, so I prefer not to put the responsibility on them, though I do think that they would be able to help if I was at the end of my line and there was an emergency.

Right now I'm trying to get in contact with someone else who has quite a bit of experience with foxes, and helps people who find that they cannot keep a fox if the situation becomes difficult.

In the end, if I exhaust all of my resources, I would have to re-home the fox or wait until I get out of the Military - or not go at all. I'm actually going to be talking to a recruiter soon (my brother is interested in the Air Force and I'm tagging along). I need to check with them to make sure that I don't have any conditions that bar me from serving. I /might/ have cystitis, and in the case, I will be disqualified.

I'm also not entirely sure on my choice. I do want to serve in the Air Force, but I still need to work out everything, for example how long I'd be in the Air Force. Either I do or I don't, and if I don't, I'd head to law school out and I wouldn't have to worry about making arrangements for a fox. I have five years to decide, so I shall take everything into careful consideration.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Sounds good then that you are still well in planning stages. I know it took me years to be ready to get my anteater due to a traveling job but did me good as they are/were hard to get good info on and I learned a lot. Then it took me over a year of actual trying before I got one once I had everything else ready.

Edit: PS others with foxes could tell you better if your friend watching it plan would work. I'm not sure how well they take to new homes like that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Welcome! I'm Ash.

You sound like a very mature individual! :mrgreen: I have not personaly owned a fox yet, but I almost got a fennec several months ago. It was needing to be rehomed. I asked people on here how it would adjust, and I was told that fennecs settle into new homes quite well (unlike red foxes).

It sounds like you have a lot planned out! Are you going to be getting your fennec soon? I'm getting a red fox kit this Spring, so I can imagine how excited you are at the thought of actualy getting one.

Oh, one more thing... Are you sure fennecs are legal in your state? (Sorry if you've already checked. I just figured if it hadn't crossed your mind it would be good for you to find out sooner than later, lol)

Anyway, hope we hear more from you!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 pm

I have a lot planned out, but there's still things to sort through. I'm yet to figure out who I need to call to get an entry permit for the fox. I've picked out a vet, but I still need to contact them and let them know. They treat the foxes at a nearby zoo, so I'm pretty happy with my choice. Every time I settle on a breeder, another one pops up that looks even better.

Yes, Fennecs and other foxes are, to my knowledge, legal in Michigan. I have talked to a few people who have owned them. However, the fox must have an entry permit and certificate before they enter the state. The entry permit basically means someone from the state comes in and makes sure that you have everything ready, for example, a proper enclosure.

If all goes well and I 1) get in contact with the vet 2) settle on a breeder and 3) get the thumbs-up from the sate, I'm hoping to have a fox next year.

I am actually still trying to make sure a fennec is what I want. Every once in awhile I start leaning back towards red foxes, but I know that they have that odor and, from what I've heard, more aloof and less affectionate than other species. They also need more much more room. I can't really provide that.

Then I also consider gray foxes. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I hear that they are very affectionate. I'm putting them under strong consideration. However, I brought up the species with my father, and he wants a strictly indoor fox. After all, we do live in Michigan where it is bitter cold half the year and blistering hot the other half. I also have pesky neighbor kids I wouldn't want screwing with my fox while I'm away. Unfortunately, it seems that gray foxes do need large outdoor enclosures so that they may climb. So, that species is out the window.

Swift foxes have also come into the picture. There isn't a whole lot of information about them either, but I hear that they are the most affectionate and friendly of all the foxes. Once I learn more, I might get one of these.
Fennecs, while they are they are great for beginning fox owners and are perfect for my situation, they are quite expensive. This is the kind I really want, but the price tag for these foxes... goodness. These are the only foxes that my parents have approved, but then again I have not brought up swift foxes with them.

Yes, my parents are completely cool with this, but I do have to spend my own money to get the fox. I'm using all my 14th birthday, 2011 Christmas, and potentially 15th birthday money, as well as earning my own money by selling my art and doing odd jobs, etc.
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 pm

hello and welcome :bear: so what part of michigan do u live in? i have been there a few times to go to silver lake sand dunes to ride four wheelers... i love it in michigan!
if u go for a swift, there is only one or two breeders in the states. really one that i know of and she happens to be on here :mrgreen: DINNKA is her name btw.
its nice to have u here, keep us posted
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 am

I live on the MI-OH border, which is unfortunately quite a ways away from where most of the major dunes. But, I did go up to South Haven this year.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”