PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello and Help!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxlover808

Hello and Help!

Postby Foxlover808 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Hey there fellow awesome people on this site, name is Allen and im from Hawaii, but im living in North Carolina now. Since Hawaii has never allowed Exotic pets on the island, and i have always wanted a fox, i figured i would express my problem to you all and see what input i could get. I am 22 and a second semester senior at UNCW, so im about to graduate. I own a home with a nice back yard, and live with 3 others who own together 4 dogs. I have wanted a Pet Fox for about 5 years now, and have done extensive research on them. given i am not an expert and am always looking to learn more i am not trying to say i am anywhere really prepared. of course its like reading a book on taking apart your car, versus actually taking apart your car. anyways, I have recently decided that a Fennec fox is the one for me, as i am just a beginner and have never own any animal personally.

I dont really know where to get one, how much they will really cost, or exactly what will happen once i have one, but i am dedicated to finding out. I am filled with love just for the thought of spending time together. It has been my lifes dream to own one, or several really, and am serious enough that i would prefer to drive for days just to see one and know if we have compatible personalities, then ship one. besides i dont really feel that its fair to ship and animal, and i would love the time we get to spend driving back home together.

my problem is that i am not rich, and though i have enormous amounts of love to give, i dont have thousands of dollars to begin with to buy one. I am also inexperienced in training any animal. Im not really sure what to do and am really just putting myself out there looking for input. I have been on this site may times but this is the first time i made an account, so i figured why not ask the people who seem to know the most! (and who also seem to be the most friendly)

All input is welcome weather it be positive or negative, i consider it all constructive criticism

Allen
Alynn

Re: Hello and Help!

Postby Alynn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:13 pm

The price for a Fennec generally runs anywhere between $1,000 to $2,000 dollars, and that depends on whether or not you're going to ship. Then, most states require they need a health certificate or a check up. Exotic cets are very expensive, so that could be an extra few hundred dollars. Don't forget you also need a cage. Depending on what you buy, it could be between 50 - $500 dollars.

They can bite. They will scream. They are more difficult to train than a dog or cat. Some of them are no more affectionate than an aloof house cat. They are not a cute little animal that happens to be a hunter. They are a very effective predator that happens be cute. When you get a kit, they need constant attention for the first few months of their life. If you don't respect this, you could end up with an unhappy, under-socialized animal which will no doubt result in an unhappy you. They can live up to 15 years, so you pretty much will have no chance to go on long vacations unless you know someone who can take your fox and has the experience to do so. They are fragile all around (physically, emotionally if you don't socialize them, and medically), and it's difficult to find a vet.

Fennec foxes are very affectionate, rewarding animals if you care for them the right way. They can be kept in ferret cages and are very energetic. They usually have very distinct personalities. They are intelligent, and some people have reported that their foxes continue to surprise, amuse, amaze and love them for as long as they live. Some fennecs form very close bonds with their humans and will scream with joy and lash their tail like crazy when their human comes home. Their love life span ensures you can enjoy their companionship for well over a decade.

A fennec will own you as much as you will own it.
Dream14877

Postby Dream14877 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi. It's nice to meet you.

As far as owning a fox I agree that the fennec are soooo cute. I don't know if you will want to go strait to a fox before owning any other pet. From experience I know going from owning dogs and cats all my life to owning a ferret is a huge jump and that's just a ferret which is more common found than a fox. You might try owning another pet first. Any pet would be good but I would recomend a dog about the same size and a same (or as much possible) energy level as a fox. If you don't want to wait very long you could always get a pet that would get along with a fox and get your fox not to long after the other pet.

Of course I do not know you personally and you could be more than capable of owning a fox right at the moment. Good luck to you.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:24 am

I've never owned a cat or a dog, but I'm getting a fox this spring (granted, I intern at a wildlife sanctuary and take care of two). I feel that if you've done your research and are ready to make a commitment, then that's all you need (and money, of course, lol).

Of course, it's always BEST if you've had first-hand experience, but it's not like it's at all impossible. I'm getting a red fox, and they're TONS more work than a fennec. Compared to most exotics, fennecs aren't as difficult to care for. They're a lot like how Alynn described them above--definitey more work than average pets, but definitely NOT impossible to care for.

I've heard they do have a habit of sleeping in their urine, though. :lol: But I feel if you can get past that as well as frequent accidents, then you'll be a great owner.

That stinks that you live in Hawaii. Are you planning on moving once you graduate at all? Hawaii, California--the West coast is not a very good place to live if you want to own exotics. Florida seems to currenty be one of the best states to own an exotic animal, and it seems similar to Hawaii (beaches, warm weather, tourists--lol).

Anyway, I wish you luck! I hope that you can have your dream of owning a fennec!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:19 pm

I think experience with keeping animals is important because a lot of people who get their first pet as adults have no clue what the dog/pet is saying, why's he looking at me like that, what does that sound me, things like that. This issue is then compounded with exotics where you haven't at least seen them on tv or at a friends place.

Whatever species you get as a first pet you will still have some of these first pet issues. So having the exotic as a first pet can be done but it can make it a bit easier to have some experience first.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 pm

TamanduaGirl is right--I would just feel like a hypocrite if I told you to have experience with "normal" animals before getting a fox, since I haven't. I understand that I am going to have a more difficult time than most first-time exotic pet owners since my family only got its first dog back in December (and I don't live at home anymore). It'll be a tough learning experience, but I feel it will be well worth it.

Getting experience is definitely important. I'm getting the experience with reds where I intern, but I know it will be much more work when I actually have my own pet fox indoors. I'll pretty much be following the saying "come what may." I love animals, and through my interning and experiences with exotics, I've determined I really, really want to pursue my dreams of owning exotic pets.

Anyway, you sound very enuthusiastic and passionate about this, so if this is what you're wanting to do, then maybe you should try to meet with some breeders or owners. Are you going to be traveling this summer? I'm sure you could find someone who would let you come by and see their fennec.

The main concern that we have on this board are the people who want an exotic pet who don't really learn about them before they buy one. Then they buy the pet and realize they can't take care of it or it smells, or it has undesirable habits. If you go into buying one knowing the cons, and are prepared to deal with the worst and never consider getting rid of the animal, then you are a responsible owner who can handle an exotic.

You definitely seem like you want to do all of your research prior to buying one. In which case, understand that it will be more difficult for people like you and me initially. We may not understand all of its habits at first, or really be able to comprehend the work involved, but so long as we're dedicated to learning about the animal and caring for its needs, everything should turn out well.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “INTRODUCTION”