PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

baby fox pet in California

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Abby

baby fox pet in California

Postby Abby » Sat May 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi! My friends found a baby fox here in California. They are petrified Fish and Game will take her away. How can they keep it legally? They live in the country, and the wife is a doctor, they also have exotic birds, and would like to have a small zoo eventually. What to do to keep her?
Lasergrl

Re: baby fox pet in California

Postby Lasergrl » Sat May 26, 2012 1:27 pm

there is no legal way in California
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way to keep her legally--especially in California. The best option would be to find a rehabber who can help return her to the wild. It would be best to do this before your friend starts becoming too attached.

It may be hard to give her up, but it will be much harder for your friend if she gets discovered. She will be euthanized. In addition, there is no way to get her to a vet; if she's a captive fox she will need routine vet work and shots.

I highly suggest going the legal route and give her up, even if it's hard. I know it's not the same, but I found a baby robin that fell out of its nest, and it was covered in mites. I took it in for about a week and treated it. I really wanted to keep it. However, the legal repurcussions of keeping native birds illegally is too much to risk and I wanted to be within the law. I was able to return the baby to its nest.

The problem is that in California they will euthanize peoples' ferrets, and those are considered domesticated and great pets. They will certainly euthanize a fox.

I just honestly think it will have a greater chance out in the wild--especially since it's California. And it would save your friend from heartbreak. It really isn't "if" she gets discovered, it"s "when" she'll get discovered.

That being said, if your friend does decide to keep her, we are more than willing to help her out with fox care. The well-being of the animal comes first to us, so we will help answer any questions she has. You should direct her here so that when she has questions she has people to ask. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Just a thought,but isn't there some kind of zoo or sanctuary permit they could get that would make it legal? I know the zoo school in California that I was thinking of going to (Moore Park) owns a couple of red foxes.

http://www.moorparkcollege.edu/current_ ... dopt.shtml

^
They're listed under the donation to an animal page under the $75. So, there most be some legal way to keep foxes there if the college has them and they've been having them?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm

It's almost always written into the law that zoological facilities are the exception and they can obtain certain animals that regular people wanting to possess them can't get. For example, in Kentucky it's perfectly legal for a zoological facility (or research or educational facility) to import a fox into the state from elsewhere, but regular people like us, nope. You can't import them. You have to get them from an in-state breeder. The same principle applies to a lot of ban states. We couldn't own certain exotics, but zoological or educational facilites probably can.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:15 am

Caninesrock, you want to go to Moorpark too?! Same here! :D
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:05 am

Splashstorm wrote:Caninesrock, you want to go to Moorpark too?! Same here! :D

Yep. I tried the Florida one,but it didn't work out,so I'm thinking of trying the California one. I have some things I have to get in order first though like taking the 5 prereq courses(well,only 4 of the 5 prereq. I already took and passed Biology. I took Alegbra too,but failed it,so have to take it again. I suck at math. :/) and learning how to drive and getting a car since it says you have to drive in order to be in the program. I don't really want to drive because I'm scared of it which is why I have put off driving for so long but it's becoming more and more apparent that driving is absolutely necessary and essential for day to day life as public transportation is unreliable and can even be scarce in some parts of the country.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”