PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nicophorus

Hi

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi guys,

Lurked some on these boards, figured i'd join up. I raise goats in central Florida among other animals and exotic wise I have a pet Emu and a pet Cappybara. I am getting more interested in other exotics though, just taking my time and making sure I have things set up for them before diving in.

cheers
BB

Re: Hi

Postby BB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Oh great, you made your own thread, I was going to suggest that icon_biggin.gif
Hi!
I've got an emu too, a female named Bob. How do you take care of the Capybara? They are just like a huge guinea pig, aren't they?
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:43 pm

My cappy lives for the most part on my back patio which has a inground pool and is enclosed in screening. The pool is for her to use (and the koi that swim in it). She comes inside though and watches tv with me on the couch at least once a day. Feed her hay and primate leafeater biscuits but I think ill be switching that out for guinea pig chow (and whatever else I have handy to give her like otameal, apples, carrots, whatever is apropriate).

I never had a guinea pig, but maybe they are alike, but I am sure the cappy is much smarter and more dog like (wants to interact with you, be petted, etc). Just found it to be an all around good pet, so good i'll prob get a male for her someday.

My Emu I am sure is male, he grunts and has never "boomed". Had a 2nd one but a bobcat took (her) out... :( VERY mixed feelings looking at that bobcat thread, ive seen wild ones up close and personal too many times. Very hard to protect against too, they go over fences like they are nothing.

I'll get another female Emu someday, once ive made for a more secure setting for them (right now the lone surviving male gets put up in a stall at night).
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Welcome! An emu, I read that and was like "WOW!" and then read that BB has one, too. I guess I didn't realize that. That must be really interesting. I'm starting to get into feathered species of animals. What is it like to have an emu?
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 pm

I had three a while back. It started of with a male emu, Slinkie, I had from when he was little. He is my avatar. Then I rescued two, but it was chaos and I kept the older female and found Slinkie and mini- Slinkie (now Meagan and Barry) a great home. (Just go through the emu threads to read the full story)
All I can say that they are different, entertaining and everyone of them had different views, tastes and characters. Being a running bird, they like their space as they get crazy minutes from time to time and then they run. It is really funny to watch, as they corner and their tiny little wing sticks out for balance.
Feeding is easy, I feed them grain, fruit, bread, some veggies, but then again mine also has two acres to roam around and find stuff they supposed to eat in the wild. I also worm every now and again.
They loooove water and are great swimmers. When little they follow you around everywhere, but even now when I let her out in the garden area and I do something, Bob is there to help! There are photos all over the board about my animals, but if you can't find them I post them again if you'd like.

Nicophorus, that is soo cool having a Capybara. Especially if she is more doglike than Guinea pig-like. I hope you post some pictures of her. I'm also interested in your Koi. Unfortunately they are banned in my area, so I have gold fish instead (amidst lots of other tropical fish) but Koi's are great. I would dig a massive pond if I could keep them.... icon_biggin.gif
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Emu is not a bad pet at all, mine will let you handle him, pet him,etc. I get behind him and guide him into the barn for his own safety every night, holding onto his two little wings and he knows its time to go in and into "his" night stall.

Very curious animal and fun to watch. I'm told they have by FAR the best dispositions of the big flightless birds. Probly the only one that makes a "good" pet (good as in good for something other then looking at). You can interact with a Emu in a way I dont think you can with Ostrich or Cassowary or even Rhea for that matter.

My Koi well,, they just live in the pool, Some shubukin goldfish in there too that are getting out of control. Soon im gonna slip a large mouth bass in there to take care of the way too numerous goldfish and hopefully just leave me with the koi going forward.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 am

Hi! Welcome to the forum. icon-smile Please please please post pictures of your capybara!
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 pm

sarajeku wrote:Hi! Welcome to the forum. icon-smile Please please please post pictures of your capybara!

I definitely agree! And the goats and emu :D

Welcome! Can't wait to see what knowledge & questions you have to offer the forum!
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Welcome, You are absolutely right about bobs. One of the most ferocious cat hunters there are. Pretty much unstoppable too. I have to say in captivity you still do see bits and pieces of that ruthlessness, but overall they love their humans and bond very strongly. They are wonderful to own for the right person.

What other exotics are you interested in?
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 pm

egroegart wrote:
What other exotics are you interested in?

Well what I have in my mind at the moment and am in a long drawn out planning phase for, is a complete redo of my pool/screen enclosure area and making it into a sort of "rain forrest" room.

It does take me a long time to think of all the details and I am not even done with that part yet, then there is the saving up the money to get it all done, but what Im thinking is:

-get rid of all the screen enclosure and expanding the area with a solid high roof, very low wall, and then strong metal mesh between the two. Think outdoor permanent aviary.

-lots of rework on the inground swimming pool, making it more natural with a very gradual perimiter area of maybe just a couple inches of water that gets progressivly deeper to a max of 4 feet or so. I wont my cappy to be able to walk into the pool, not have to dive in like she does now. Also this would make it safe for my parrots to fly free all the time in there. I'd not have to worry about one of them falling into the pool with me not around and them not being able to get over the edge onto dry land.

Maybe add a gentle waterfall with lots of flat rock and a misting system, though with how humid and rainy it is much of the year in Florida, I dunno if a misting system is required, the amount of air plants and moss that grow around here is a testiment to the local humiditiy.

Very robust and large drain (protected of course) in the pool to allow for fast water changes and ease of cleaning the whole area. The koi might not fit into this plan because of that. I am kind of envisioning just being able to pressure wash/hose down the whole area and have the slope lead into the pool which would then be mostly drained and refilled with my well. Perhaps if I had a smaller area within the pool to contain the koi while I did this (attract them with food or w/e) they could stay. But being able to clean this whole area easily is important to me.

-No direct exit from this area to the outside. You'd have to go through the house to get out. Not having the chance of birds or whatever flying out a open door directly to the outdoors. Its already mostly like that, with a side door from the pool enclosure going into my laundry room, and then the laundry room has yet another door that leads out into the yard.

-I'd have strong hooks put into the ceiling and from them would be the perches, bird cages (if I need them) , ropes, etc. I dont want anything bird related having to be direclty on the ground.

So now with the proper facility made, i'd fill it in with the rainforrest type animals i'd be interested in. The koi would continue to live in the modified swimming pool, the Cappybarra(s) would live on the ground level and my parrots would fly free and utilize whatever I have hanging from the ceiling for them in this set up.

What to add to this? I dont know if they'd be compatible but i'd be interested in some Sloth for sure. I really was interested in some white gibbons but research shows me that they'd be illegal to keep in Florida, so thats out. Might be too agressive with my other animals anyways. I dunno about the anteaters, I do like them but again, not sure if they'd share the ground level with the Cappybarra(s).

Mostly all this grew out of my desire to get my parrots out of their cages and into a much bigger free flight enviornment. They and the cappy come first, whatever else is compatible with that , and can utilize the unused space left over is to be seen.

But yes, interested in anteaters and sloths for the most part beyond what I have already. That and I would like to have the other kinds of Rattites. Specifically: White and grey Rhea, Somali Ostrich, single wattle-yellow neck Cassowary (Kiwi too but yeah, thats even less likely then the Cassowary).

Long post but yeah, I am interested in all the Rattites and in non-predator tropical forrest species. Promise to post pics when I'm done with this habitat, but I know it will take me a couple years to realize this. I'm hear to learn from you guys who already own some of these species im interested in, and am happy to answer any and all questions about the stuff I have experience with exotic(Parrots/Emu/Cappybarra/Tortoise/Koi) and domestic (Goats/donkey/chickens/peafowl/geese/guineafowl/dogs). icon_biggin.gif
BB

Postby BB » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

What a great plan. Definitely do-able. Misters are great for keeping the plants going without using too much water. As you probably know I'm a fan of koi, so I'm trying to think for a solution to this....maybe a two-staged pool, one raised so you can have an eco-system going, and one which wouldn't matter if it gets hosed out every now and again. You'd probably have to put a subtle screen on the koi one so your Capy doesn't funk up the water (and I'm just writing this, because I honestly don't know if Capy's are funking up the water icon-smile )

A double door might be the solution for your bird problem, with about a meter space in between?
Also as addition to your mentioned animals, butterflies would be nice, some ground fowl, I don't know what size area you are thinking but peacock like rainforesty flora. Also maybe some lizards and frogs?

Geez, I'm sorta glad I have to go to work now, otherwise I'm here typing away while my imagination runs wild :mrgreen:
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Cappybaras (a least mine, but im sure all) go to the bathroom in water, only. Thats why its important that I am able to do large water changes. (which I do now , and would need to do even more after I've completed this room).

Plants/foliage would not last long Im afraid. The koi would not even let water hyacinth survive when I tried it out, and with cappybarra and parrots too? Forget about it. (and sloths? lol, yeah we are gonna be needin artificial trees/limb type structures)

Maybe some, but they'd have to be protected behind screening of some type, but all that comes later. Got to get the bones of this room/pool down first. Got plenty of time to think about what animals to slowly add , so long as they fit in with what I already have (parrots/cappybara).
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Welcome.^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”