PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Howdy, from N.E.Oklahoma

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tony O

Howdy, from N.E.Oklahoma

Postby Tony O » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:33 pm

A link to here was posted on a poultry site that I visit a lot. Was reading and saw a post that I wanted to answer, but had to be a member to do so. I signed up and now I forgot what it was.

:red-face: (senior moment) Maybe when I find a little more time, I'll try to find it again. I probably won't be on here much because of how much time it takes to care for all my "pets" & plants.

A little about me. . . I started when I started kindergarten. Had to walk 1/4 of a mile to catch the bus. There was a skinny red Irish setter that made friends with me at the corner. She was still there when I got off the bus that evening and she followed me home. (Well, I kinda encouraged her) She was so skinny you could see her bones. My grandma said that she was starving and so she fed her. Two days later, to everyone's surprise, she had 2 black puppies.

A few years later at the age of 8, grandma gave me a little yellow banty hen. When she saw a month later how well I took responsibility for her, she got be another pair (banty hen & rooster) to keep her company. That is how I got hooked on poultry.

Now I care for anything from tiny OE bantams to J. black Giants, along with ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, pheasants, quail, peafowl, black swans, rabbits, cats and a dog. We also feed over 20 different types of wild birds, (and a few squirrels) especially in the winter. BTW, I'm looking for a good guard dog or 2 to help protect them, if y'all know of any available. Someone stoled my good one. :wall: And our little 18 year old mix died last winter. :cry: The dog I have still here is worthless without a leader.
If it ain't broke - Don't fix it !!!
the_unstable

Re: Howdy, from N.E.Oklahoma

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Welcome to Sybil's Message Board :) Did you and your family end up keeping the starving Irish Setter? What happened to her pups?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Welcome to the forum! Are you looking for a puppy that you can train or an adult that's already trained?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:51 pm

I really like poultry birds--mainly chickens. My sister and I had two Barred Rocks (spell?) that were our pets when we were young. They were amazing pets. It sounds weird to recommend chickens as pets, but they were really good pets. They would follow us around wherever we went and would stick together whenever we weren't around. Since we raised them from chicks they stayed really "affectionate" as they got older. Mine didn't mind being held like a baby.

I also love peacocks and I really want some. I love all the different colors they come in. I know they're noisy, but I don't really mind how they sound.

I'd love to hear more about your chickens and other birds. Especially the bantams and peacocks. I really like the way they both look. If you have pictures to share I wouldn't mind looking at those either. ;)

Do you notice differen't habits between the different species of chickens? Or are they all pretty much the same?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Tony O

Postby Tony O » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome to Sybil's Message Board :) Did you and your family end up keeping the starving Irish Setter? What happened to her pups?
Thanks 'the_unstable' for the welcome.
My mom re-married soon after and we moved to a house with 3 acres. We brought our Irish Setter with us (I named her Girl-Girl) and grandma kept the 2 black puppies. They grew twice the size of their mom and were the best watch dogs ever.

Welcome to the forum! Are you looking for a puppy that you can train or an adult that's already trained?
Thanks for the welcome sarajeku.
I do need one all ready trained. I'm not good at training. :icon-frown: I trained one that took 2 years to train. Just when I got her trained the way I wanted her, that's the one that got stolen. I really don't have the time or patients to train another one. I need one or 2 that is already poultry friendly. Also must not be an egg sucker. The one that I'm looking for a home for cost me $65 to get her, and has eaten at least $75 worth of goose eggs. :-x

And Ash, Poultry can make great pets. They even make chicken diapers so you can have them as house pets.
Do you notice differen't habits between the different species of chickens? Or are they all pretty much the same?
Oh yeah, some way different. Not only between different breeds, but if you're with them enough and watch them, each one is different within the breed. They can have their own personalities.
Is there a special place on here to post pictures?
If it ain't broke - Don't fix it !!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:06 pm

We do have a pictures forum viewforum.php?f=46

You are allowed to post photos in any forum that is appropriate though, like your chickens in the poultry forum.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Welcome to the site. In my opinion the best guard dog for any farm animal is a Great Pyrenees. They are one of the only dogs that can take down a wolf. They are feerless and guarding their herd is innate. We have never trained any of our Pyrenees. They just know what to do. Ours has guarded goats, birds, geese and other small animals. They guard the herd 24 hours a day. They are great with people, but if any other animal or predator comes near their animals they will kill it. A lot of our neighbors have problems with coyotes, owls and other predators. We have never had one animal harmed with our Pyrenees around. Welcome again, George
BB

Postby BB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Welcome!
I love my geese the most, and it is always such entertaining and calming value to have chickens around. I am really interested in your black swans. Can you tell us how to care, interact, personality, and so on? I imagine they be great to have around!
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Welcome!!
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, I also love peafowl and endeavour to have a couple when I have my own place.

I have a question about guard dogs for either you or George. Where are they kept? I mean, I imagine they have to have 24/7 access to the herd to properly guard them. Do they never come inside and always have a dog house near the herd or something?
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:01 am

Our guard dogs for my mom's herds are Great Pyrenees. There is none better to have. Ours has a nice large dog house that he can go in to stay out of the weather, but he rarely goes in it. His job is 24 hours a day. The goats go into the barn every evening. He lays right outside the door to their stall all night long. When they wake and eat he leads them to a far corner of the field. It is quite amazing to watch him put each and every one of them where he wants them. As a young pup he used to be in the house, but now he shows no interest in coming in. He is allowed anytime he wants, but chooses to stay out. He guards the herd but our Rott guards our family. He lives in the house. He does love being outside too, but he has to stick right by us at all times. Especially my mom. She is exceptionally smart. Very levelheaded. Trained not to bite, but has commands all in german where she can perform about 20 different actions. She is very intimidating to look at, and can tackle and take down a full grown man in an instant. She has been highly trained. With Rotts the trait of defending your family is innate. This all sounds like she is the guard dog from hell. lol. On the other hand she is the sweetest girl you could ever meet. She loves to cuddle, Play ball, and she loves kids. She is very patient with them. She does get a lot of exercise too as she has an acre fenced in right behind my mom's house.
BB

Postby BB » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:31 am

Your (your mums) dogs sound great! Funny you mention the commands being trained in German. I always wonder about that, how dogs (or animals in general) take in a foreign language.
In my experience they always look at you funny, but with the right sound and gesture they do tend to understand eventually...
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 am

wow, that's really interesting. I've always wondered how to train a guard dog that's not going to just attack anything. Does she act aggressive first, wait for your signal, then act friendly? or act friendly first, wait for your signal, then act aggressive?
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forum :icon-wink:
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Welcome. ^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”