PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

An intro and a half :)

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sparkles

An intro and a half :)

Postby Sparkles » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi everyone Image

I am a little worried about posting my introduction in the event that I don't get percieved in the right way. But I figure that it's best you tell me now whether or not you want me here instead of issues coming about later on. In any case, onto my introduction of myself (this may turn out to be a little long. Apologies in advance for those of you who don't like reading a small books worth of information).

I was born in and live in Western Australia. While in highschool, and a few times since i've been in uni, i've done work experience with a few wildlife parks and the sort. I've always been an animal nut and so once I left highschool I came to uni where I am now studying for a Bachelor of Science in Conservation Wildlife Biology, double majoring with Environmental Management. I finish my course in around 4 months time.

Now about Western Australia (WA). My state, out of all the states in Aus, is the strictest when it comes to owning wildlife. And when I say wildlife, I am exclusively refering to native wildlife. The only exotic animals alloowed to be privately owned in the entirity of Australia are your average domesticated ones (dogs, mice, farm animals, etc). Native animals, however, are a different story. In WA, the only native animals you can get licenses for (assuming you're not a wildlife park or zoo), are a select few species of herpetofauna (reptiles and amphibians) which are native to WA. Without going into it too much, none of the other states (apart from Tasmania) are quite as strict. Again, it's very difficult if not impossible (and i'm not overexagerating), to be allowed to get undomesticated exotic animals. The other states allow a much wider range of permits to be given out to private owners so that they can legally buy specified native species.

So this is where it gets sticky and I really hope people don't dislike me for this. I don't agree with exotic undomesticated pet ownership. Although I do think I need to point out that this is as a whole. Overall I don't agree with it, but this is because I don't think there are enough regulations attached. I don't think undomesticated animals should be kept in captivity for any purpose unless it is for the benefit of conservation of the species or another species, for education, or for the benefit of the individual animal. But that's just my opinion. I can tell you now that i'm not about to start judging people for their ownership of exotics pets. I actually love the idea so long as it's done in the right way. I just believe that so many times it is not done in the right way and i'm sure you'll agree with me that a select few people spoil it for the majority. However, regardless of my opinion I've joined this message board because I would like to learn from those in-the-know.

So now you know what i'm talking about in regards to myself and the laws i'm contending with, I'll tell you why I've joined and what I'm hoping to get out of this.

So basically next year I will be moving with my husband (will be in December) to South Australia. I'll be starting a Masters in Teaching (primary and middle) and setting my business in wildlife and conservation education. This is where I will go to schools/environmental centers/ birthdays/shopping centres, etc, and, depending on the program chosen and where i'm asked to be, i'll be teaching my captive/passerby audience about our wildlife and conservation (focusing, though not excusively, on Australia).

The first programs I'm going to offer are as follows:
Australian Herpetofauna
Australian Invasive Species
Focusing on the European Red Fox, Wild Dogs, Feral Cats, and the European Rabbit.
For this program I will be aquiring a few animals in which I will be using as educational animals. They will be as follows:
A Giant Flemish Bunny to represent the European Rabbit.
My Bernese Mountain Dog to represent the Wild Dogs.
My housecat to represent the feral cats.
And the star of my business as far as I'm currently concerned; my European Red Fox.

I have had to jump few hoops, and will have to jump through many more in 2014 when the time comes for me to start my business and obtain my fox. It is illegal to keep foxes as pets. The only reason I will be allowed to get him at all is because I will be using him for educational purposes.

Some info on how I will get my fox:
This is another reason why people may object to my being on here, but I'm hoping you will all understand. Here goes.
So every year around the fox breeding season (August/ September), known fox dens are marked for fumigation. This is just one of the fox control methods. Once the kits are born, the dens are checked and fumigated. It's sad, but sadly necissary over here where since they were introcuced in 1845, they have caused the extinction of 30 australian native species.

In any case, just before those who have the job of fumigating the dens go to work, I will be allowed to go and collect a single fox kit from a den (alongside someone who knows what they're doing so that they can give me a hand). I can see me getting there and wanting to take them all home with me, but my permit will specify that I am only allowed a single fox. Unfortunately the others that I don't choose will then be killed a few weeks later.

So this is why I have joined. I want to learn from people who know what they're talking about, just how to care for, provide for, raise and maintain the fox kit and subsequent adult fox that I'm sure will worm its way into my heart very quickly.

So yes - That's me.
I've had a bit of a squiz around already and your foxes are the most adorable sweethearts i've seen :)

So with out delay - Hi :) My name is Emily, but for the purpose of this, I guess you can call me sparkles ;)
Splashstorm

Re: An intro and a half :)

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Welcome, Sparkles! That's so sad that you will only get to take one fox and it's siblings will be destroyed :( Poor guys. Well, hopefully you'll learn a lot on your time here.

And about exotic pets, I don't think any of us here will agree that irresponsible people should be able to own these pets. However, if that is the only reason you don't support these animals, you would have to disagree on any kind of pets. ;)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Sparkles

Postby Sparkles » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks Splashstorm :)

In regards to exotic pets, I have other reasons I don't agree with it (ie: accidental introductions of potentially invasive species) but there's no place for that here and I'm not so against it when done responsibly as to cause a fuss. I'll be putting aside any issues I have with it as I'm here to learn, discuss, coo over your adorable animals, and hopefully help out later on when I know more. :)
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 am

Ah okay, that's good to hear ^^
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:09 am

Welcome to the site. I absolutely agree that a few irresponsible owners ruin it for all of us alot of times. That is one of the reasons that I spend a lot of my time counselling new and prospective exotic owners on all aspects of exotic ownership. It takes a lot of time, money and experience to properly raise an exotic of any kind. Too many exotics are bought then quickly gotten rid of once people realize they are in way over their heads.

You've come to the right place to gain some knowledge on fox ownership. There are alot of really great fox owners here to help you out. Good luck with everything and welcome again.
Sparkles

Postby Sparkles » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:15 am

Thanks egroegart!

It looked like the best place to come for info on fox care. But also because when I decide to expand into other animals, I can continue talking to the same set of people about keeping those also.
Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:32 pm

This forum is definitely a great place for finding about fox care, we have a lot of fox owners. I hope you get all the info you want/need and best of luck on your educational ventures in the near future! :D
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Official welcome Sparkles :P
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:21 am

Welcome. ^^ I don't think badly of you at all for the way you're getting your fox. You are saving one of the fox kits lives and I know you would save them all if you could.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Sparkles

Postby Sparkles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:33 am

Haha, yeah, I certainly would. I'd bundle them all up and send them over to America ;) It's a pity that that would be a very expensive (and illegal) venture or else it'd be a nice solution, sort of like with the feral camels we have here.

There are some people who herd feral camels and sell them to India because, due to our harsh desert conditions our feral camels have actually adapted to being a lot stronger and just better in general in comparison to the camels in India and the Middle East. So they ship the camels here to those countries - they get good camels, we make a profit, and we get rid of some feral camels (which cause a hell of a lot of damage). It's a win-win situation.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:48 pm

That's actually a good idea with the camels. Too bad they couldn't find a use to export the foxes out too though instead of killing them.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Sparkles

Postby Sparkles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 am

It's one use for the camels but they can't round them all up and send them off, there are just too many of them so they continue to do insurmountable damage. Unfortunately it's the same with the foxes; there are just too many of them; even if they did collect kits and send them off, fox numbers would, as they still are now even with trapping, fumigation, shooting, baiting.. they are still rising in numbers. It's very sad. Because of European settlers only coming here 200 odd years ago we still have very high biodiversity, but sadly we also now have the highest mammal extinction rate in the world; partly due to foxes. So it's just a very sticky situation as they cant just be left alone or we will lose so much more (which we may regardless of all efforts). But positive thinking and fingers crossed!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:39 pm

I wonder if foxes are like coyotes then. I read somewhere the result of a scientific study that said that the more coyotes were killed, the more pups the females would have per litter and the more times she would be able to breed and thus have more litters per year. They did the study by studying female coyotes in areas where the coyotes weren't hunted that often and also in areas where coyotes were hunted mercilessly and found this result. It was more complicated than that,but that's just the simplified version of the experiment.

Sparkles

Postby Sparkles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Huh.. More research to be done but I've always wondered if it would be better to sterilise male foxes and release them again and only get rid of the females. Cause that way the males would still defend their territories and there wouldn't be as much opportunity for new litters. Or would sterilising them mean they would step down from their territorial ways.. As I said, I have much more research I want to do before even considering making suggestions.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:27 am

Sparkles wrote:Huh.. More research to be done but I've always wondered if it would be better to sterilise male foxes and release them again and only get rid of the females. Cause that way the males would still defend their territories and there wouldn't be as much opportunity for new litters. Or would sterilising them mean they would step down from their territorial ways.. As I said, I have much more research I want to do before even considering making suggestions.

They have a program here with feral cats called Trap-Neuter-Release. They basically trap as many feral cats as they can of both genders and neuter or spay them depending on gender and then release them back into the streets as most of them are too wild to make good pets so can't really be put up for adoption. Maybe something like that would work for the foxes. The current foxes would still be there,but they wouldn't be able to reproduce and make more foxes,so the foxes would eventually die off if the plan works. That's what the hope with feral cats is I think.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”