PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi from Australia!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kaya

Hi from Australia!

Postby Kaya » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey guys, somehow found my way here after watching youtube vedios xD!

I've always been interested in exotic animals but here in Australia, we can pretty much just have cats and dogs :(

None the less I have an adorable kitty named Kisa. She does tricks like a dog and even walks on a leash xD
This is her:
Image [img]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403570_3668727110167_1579020529_n.jpg
[/img]

I'm thinking of moving to Canada or somewhere else so I can have some more variety in my choice of pets...
Where are most exotics legal?
I'm particularly interested in wolfdogs, foxes, smaller exotic cats and birds like crows or hyacinth macaws.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Hi from Australia!

Postby sarajeku » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Avoid Canada if you're interested in wolfdogs and foxes. I hear Florida is good for almost anything as long as you get the proper permits.
I'm tempted to go there myself. Coyotes, foxes and wolfdogs are my main interests :)
the_unstable

Re: Hi from Australia!

Postby the_unstable » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Welcome to Sybil's. Darling little kitty face there :) Also, as Sarajeku said, I'd avoid Canada. I'm not sure if the US will be so exotic-friendly for that much longer as many states have a lot of bans. I don't know a lot about UK's laws, but it seems like they're a bit lax from what I've heard. Could be worth looking into. Also, I think crows are federally banned as pets in the US.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 am

Only native crows are banned.

I think Denmark might be good but hard to move to. There used to be a major seller of exotics there, but was shut down due to neglect complaints.
Kaya

Postby Kaya » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Its so hard to find information on this, all Google is giving me is why I should not own an exotic pet >.> Not sure why this is such a big issue... cats and dogs used to be wild too.
BattleMage

Postby BattleMage » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 am

Agree with sarajeku, Canada is not a good place if you are thinking of fox as a pet. We have the 2 main groups as native species and banned the third. :shock:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 am

Hello, Kaya, and welcome to the forums! :) Your kitten is adorable!! >_<"

@the_unstable, you know what, I will look into UK laws. I'd want to move to Florida, but who knows how long till they have stricter laws as well.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:42 am

Wow, so from what I'm getting, in the UK there are 2 laws concerning exotic pets. One is the EPS which constitutes that you cannot have an endangered species unless you can prove it was born in captivity (there's not a lot of animals listed http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-l ... pslist.asp). The other law, the "Dangerous Wild Animal Act" says that you must have proper licensing and prove a knowledge test, which seems to be easy to get if you know your species. I'm definitely going there if one day Florida starts having bans.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Your kitty is beautiful! That is the BEST that you have taught her tricks and walk her! I think those kind of things are exactly what bonds pets and humans the most. Hyacinths are so wonderful! I have a greenwing macaw, a blue and gold macaw and an umbrella cockatoo. I LOVE them sooo much (except maybe the umbrella :icon-wink: ). The greenwing is the closest to what a Hyancinth would be like and she is SOOO special. I have always thought about having a Hyacinth also. I would love to have one but we already have too much to handle now!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 am

Welcome. ^^ I don't know much about exotic laws in other countries,but Elina on here lives in the UK so she might be able to help you out with their laws on exotics.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”