PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi from the UK

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Samiwolton

Hi from the UK

Postby Samiwolton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 am

Hi everyone

I'm Sami and I come from england, iv been looking at the forum for the past few days and now iv decided to join as its great seeing other peoples animals and what advice everyone has :)

I have a lot of animals; 3 giant prickly stick insects, 2 giant African land snails, 2 millipedes, 3 Madagascan hissing cockroaches, 1 emperor scorpion, 1 chile rose tarantula, 1 mexican flame knee, 1 spiny flower mantis, 2 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 bearded dragon, 1 Timor monitor, 1 corn snake, 1 Cali king, 4 western hognose, 1 tai beauty, 1 royal python, 1 boa constrictor, 2 bredl's pythons, 2 jungle carpet pythons, 3 Irian jaya carpet pythons, 1 Burmese python, 1 green tree python, 1 whites tree frog, 1 red- foot tortoise, 2 lionhead rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 2 chinchillas, 2 robo hamsters, 2 Bengal cats, 1 lesser hedgehog tenrec, 3 sugar gliders, 1 raccoon dog & 1 coatimundi

And today I'm picking up another raccoon dog and a skunk, and iv put a deposit on 2 meerkats which we are picking up in the middle of September :)
Splashstorm

Re: Hi from the UK

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Sami! Welcome to the forums! And WOW your place is like a zoo!! Lucky XD ! I've been interested in moving to the UK some day because of their loose animal laws. So again, lucky!!!!!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Samiwolton

Postby Samiwolton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes my place is like a zoo :) regarding uk, the only law we really have is the dangerous wild animals act, species on this act require a license, which isn't impossible to get but can be quite difficult

However there is a chance we will end up with laws on other exotics soon, which is something some anti pet groups are trying to get brought in here :(
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Oh noo! I really really hate those groups.. I was planning to move to the UK when I'm ready to get larger exotics. You guys should all get together and out-protest those people.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Samiwolton

Postby Samiwolton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:31 pm

I think its mainly reptiles the groups are targeting but they are saying exotics in general but they are using 'facts' about reptiles to get people on there side, saying things like '70% of reptiles die in their first year' which is totally ridiculous and untrue. But there is a group of people doing their best to fight back, and a exotic mammal group has just started up to try protect the hobby, so I will probably join that soon and see what I can do to help out
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Yeah, you should definitely try to help. Exotic pet people are such a minority. Whenever I talk about exotic pets, 98% of the time I get a negative response. :| Those people usually really have no idea what they're even talking about. Their arguments are all so elementary. When you give facts as to why exotics should be allowed, they just keep reiterating their old arguments. When you ask for actual facts/statistics, they have none.

ImageImage
Elina

Postby Elina » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 am

Hello and welcome!

How are the new additions settling in?
Is it BEMA you are thinking of joining? I am on their research team :icon-wink: .

Hope to hear loads about your critters!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 pm

I looked BEMA up. :) It looks pretty cool and it's interesting how it just started last month. I hope to see it grow, and hopefully if I ever do move there I'll definitely join.

ImageImage
Samiwolton

Postby Samiwolton » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Yeah it is BEMA

The skunk is settling in nicely, still a little nervous but he loves his nose being scratched, the raccoon dog is still very nervous and has been hiding alot, she keeps popping her head out every so often, the raccoon dog we already had isn't too sure about her, she has sniffed her a few times and walked off as of to say what is that
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Samiwolton wrote:I think its mainly reptiles the groups are targeting but they are saying exotics in general but they are using 'facts' about reptiles to get people on there side, saying things like '70% of reptiles die in their first year' which is totally ridiculous and untrue. But there is a group of people doing their best to fight back, and a exotic mammal group has just started up to try protect the hobby, so I will probably join that soon and see what I can do to help out

Unfortunately, it's never just one category of animal that AR groups are after. That's what they want you to think so that they can effectively divide and conquer. Once they're successful with shutting down ownership of one category of animals, they go after another.

Elina, I checked out BEMA and it looks really great. Would they perhaps be interested in linking with a pro-exotic group in Ontario for networking purposes as well as spreading standardized care information around? I just think that the more of us that are connected, the better.
Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll talk to the Chairman and get back to you :icon-wink: .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 am

Welcome. ^^ Would love to hear about your raccoon dogs, coatimundi, and meerkats. I kind of want a racoon dog but they are illegal here. Meerkats are too. :(
I'm really interested in getting a coatimundi in the future though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”