Animals or supplies for Sale or Wanted
(SUB FORUM FOR LOST AND FOUND PETS)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

FREE senior LABRADOR to forever home...

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:16 am

Free female senior lab to a loving, forever home. Posting on behalf of a friend who asked me to foster her soon. I have boarded her for several weeks in the past, so I know this dog really well.

"Momma" is old with lots of health issues, but her current owner is willing to pay for her medical bills for the remainder of Momma's life. Her owner wants to be sure she just goes to a really good, stable home that will love and appreciate her for who she is.

Momma was found as a stray and in poor condition. My friend took her in and started getting her fixed up. My friend would love to keep her, but unfortunately she does not fit in with her current dogs; the poodle will not eat when she is around; the mini schnauzer stresses to the point that she needs to be hospitalized; the schnauzer also tries to attack Momma whenever possible and sometimes has bitten bad enough to draw blood. Momma has never retaliated in any way, and just tries to leave when confronted. She gets along very well with other animals and has not shown any aggression.

Momma is a sweet, big, huggable, velcro dog. She will follow you around and never leave your side; truly all she wants is to be beside you. Despite her old age, she still has a surprising amount of energy. I took her on a three mile walk, and she loved it--smiling ear to ear the whole time despite the difficulty she has with her back legs. She also has her bouts of playfulness and loves when you throw her toys for her. However, she is definitely slowing down, and she spends the majority of her time sleeping on her pillow.

Health issues include: hip dysplasia, diabetes, bad teeth, torn ACL that healed incorrectly, partially deaf, losing eye sight. But, once again, all of her medical bills will be paid for you.

**Momma is a very nice dog. BUT since she is old, she has trouble going to the bathroom and can't hold it long. She needs to be let outside every 2 hours. If she is not let out, she WILL have an accident. So that part is a major downside that I want to disclose up front. It is very difficult to have a dog that needs to be let out so often. I do not know if she is familiar with dog doors or not, but if she could use a dog door, that would make it much easier for her new family.

If you have it in your heart to take in a really sweet, gentle, obedient dog that needs special attention, Momma would be a great dog for you. And all of her future medicines and complications would be paid for--so no medical expenses. She would not be a long-term commitment, at the most just a few committed years. She needs someone to love her and pet her, a home where she can live out her final days peacefully.

Please send me a pm if you are interested, and I will put you in touch with my friend. My friend is very picky and has turned down homes--so make sure you are committed, and if you have children, make sure they are old enough to respect animals.

Momma will be living with me here in Utah very soon for the next month and a half. If she is not adopted by mid August, she will be moving to Colorado, but will still be up for adoption then.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Re: FREE senior LABRADOR to forever home...

Postby Juska » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Maybe if someone has a screen door going to their backyard. We have that at my parent's house but we have stairs and a cat that tries to escape every time she sees an open door. But a screen door is easily opened with a nose nudge and doesn't require hopping out a dog door...we used to do that in the summer before Namira came around.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Best of luck finding her a good home, I know it's not easy.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks. I think her previous owner is going to keep her once she finally moves to Colorado instead of trying to find her a home again out there. The issue was that Momma's presence (they found Momma as a stray) stressed out the other dogs in the household to the point one of them needed hospitalization. Their other dogs stress VERY easily and don't do well with change. But in Colorado I think it will be easier for them to keep them separated.

Momma has started having seizures, but they are not long enough to warrant medication. Very scary at first. The vet says it is most likely because she was not getting enough sleep, and that that is super important at this age. Too much activity gets her brain too energized, and she deals with it with seizures.

So now I let her sleep for the full 20 hours she needs without waking her. I have to keep her outside fully since movement around the house wakes her up. She is MUCH happier outside though--doesn't pace at all, gets lots of sleep, etc.

I haven't seen any seizures since leaving her alone more and decreasing her activity level.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “CLASSIFIED/LOST AND FOUND”