https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Looking for a bear breeder

Animals or supplies for Sale or Wanted
(SUB FORUM FOR LOST AND FOUND PETS)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Dowl

Looking for a bear breeder

Postby Dowl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:31 am

Hello! I'm rather new to posting on this forum but I have been looking at it for the last half a year now, it's where I got the information to acquire my now 2 month old silver fox, Phantom. icon-smile I'm not in the position at the current time but at some point in my life I am really interested in adopting a black bear cub. Although I've seen a lot of information on care and behavior and diet on the forums I have yet to see any breeders anywhere online in the US or otherwise even, does anyone know of any good breeders in the states for bear cubs? It seems I've found more ads for hyenas recently than bears.
Thanks!! :lol:
naja-naja

Re: Looking for a bear breeder

Postby naja-naja » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 am

They are sometimes on exoticanimalsforsale.net
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Dowl

Postby Dowl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:53 am

I've looked around on there abit, I like to check that site just to see what's posted and availiable just out of curiousity, right now is normally the mating season so it would make sense why there isn't any up atm
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:03 pm

to be honest, there are not many if any bear breeders in the U.S.

Ever since the zanesville "murder". Ohio put a stop to owning larger exotics, even small ones :roll:
Sad, cause even the responsible owners had their exotics "stolen" from them icon-sad only to put them in very bad conditions.
sadly, many other states are following suit with this ban.

I know the breeder I got my bears from no longer breed them.

Please put a lot of thought into owning bears, they are a lot work, and expensive to own.
If you have the money and a complete understanding of bears, then go for it.

If you do find a breeder, make sure they were bottle raised. otherwise, it is extremely difficult to care for.
Believe me, I know, my first bear was pulled from momma the day I bought her. it was like taking a wild bear.
Took me a long time to work with her. She is now 15 years old, still moody at times. the male I had was great, sadly he passed away last year.
Either way, they need a lot of attention and enrichment. (the male was bottle raised)
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Dowl

Postby Dowl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:42 pm

That is very unfortunate to hear :c and yes sadly that had to change everything D; it makes me sad that I live in Zanesville now >.< but I have read alot of your care guides and stories with Benny and Sybil (gorgeous btw ;3), I know it would be a hefty sum of money to properly house and care for a bear as well as the time necessary to bond and care for the animal and I am nowhere near that level yet hahaha but I hope to be someday. My first and only exotic so far is my silver fox I got a couple months ago, which has been a slight challenge so far as I expected but is going great, so I still need alot more experience and research before I'm ready to commit but I think they are beautiful animals and have such a wonderful personality under all of the layers of fear people like to pile on top of such exotics ^.^ Now if only people would leave keeping these kinds of animals to the people who care and nurture them instead of ruining it for the responsible owners ;/
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:13 pm

yike, you live in zanesville. most likely it will be that much harder to get a bear icon-sad
glad to hear you are researching first. when I got my bears, there was nothing at all about keeping captive black bears. icon-sad
it was a poke and hope deal.

maybe in the future some of these stupid regs will change. education and understanding is most important.
too bad the government or states don't understand anything about exotics icon-sad

to be honest, after raising sybil, everything else I got afterwards was a breeze.

Dowl

Postby Dowl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:12 am

Yeah it would be way later down the road when I've hopefully moved out of state, I know the laws aren't great much of anywhere anymore but Ohio is definitely not one of the best haha, and wow! That seems like quite the task to undertake haha I love pouring over research and facts, it would be difficult for me if I couldn't xD I think I read that you said you think a bear is easier to keep than large cats in another thread and I'm curious as to if you'd think the same about a spotted hyena? Do you think they'd be more difficult like the cats or a little more dog/pack minded?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:21 am

Ohio use to be one of the best states for exotics until the zanesville crap. they went overboard. they stole so many animals from people, it makes me sick to think of it.

I personally believe black bears are easier and cheaper than tigers to keep. tigers can be really dangerous. black bears eat more fruit and fish and are not big meat eaters, where tigers are more of meat eaters. black bears don't generally attack like a tiger would. guess it is all in how they are raised.

don't know if you ever seen "joe Exotic" videos. he has a lot of tigers and does many videos in the tiger pen. what I want to know is how in the hell does he keep them so docile.

I really don't know anything about spotted hyenas, but, in packs I think they would be dangerous.

Dowl

Postby Dowl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Yeah it did, my dad use to breed reptiles and go to the shows but then idiots had to ruin it for everyone bc since he was a bad owner ofc all the others have to be too >.> Ahh I see, I guess that would make sense, plus cats have such strong prey and hunting instincts no matter the size haha. And no I haven't but I'll have to look them up sometime! That sounds interesting, and I've been looking at hyenas some too bc I've always found them interesting and they do have a very strong hierarchy mentality so you'd have to assert yourself as alpha very early on. But some videos I've seen after they've been hand raised they're big loveable teddy bears :3

Return to “CLASSIFIED/LOST AND FOUND”