Animals or supplies for Sale or Wanted
(SUB FORUM FOR LOST AND FOUND PETS)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Planning to "rehome" your exotic mammal with a fee - read this first

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Many who decide not to keep their exotic rehome with a fee. It doesn't matter what you call it though law enforcement still considers this selling. You can not sell an exotic or wild mammal without a USDA license. Think it's still cool though because everyone does it and no one checks? Think again.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... er_by.html

Peta trolls online sales ads and harasses and threatens to turn seller in till he returns the animal to the breeder, which he should have done in the first place and is legal, so they are forced to leave him alone. I'm sure they do this a lot. This time just made the news for some reason.

Also law enforcement does check into the online ads as well.
Recent example: http://lawnewz.com/crazy/woman-allegedl ... t-for-300/
"state wardens saw an ad on Craigslist" not a rehome but shows they are watching the ads for illegal animal sales.

If you can no longer keep an exotic mammal, return to breeder, find a good sanctuary, or screen very well and give for free to a trusted new home. No money can change hands if you are not USDA licensed. This is NOT like rehoming a dog. You can not just pass it onto a new home with a fee. Remember who ever buys him, if you do, also bought him on the black market so it could still end badly for your ex-pet as he is now illegal. Please be responsible and keep your pet out of the illicit animal trade. Return or rehome for free.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Planning to "rehome" your exotic mammal with a fee - read this first

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Yes, this is very important! Too often I see rehomes up for "sale," people trying to make a quick buck off the pet they decided they could no longer keep for reasons x, y, and z. There's no money to be gained after purchasing an exotic/wild animal--NONE. If you have bought an animal, whether it be a wallaby OR a fox, consider that money spent and 100% non-refundable.

People wonder what it means when you hear about the black market when it comes to animals in the US. These "rehoming" fees are a part of it. Doesn't sound as bad when you say it's "just" illegal. Black market makes it sound serious. Because it IS serious! The definition "wild or exotic mammal being sold illegally" (whether alive or for parts) = black market.

So please keep your animal safe, you safe, and the rest of the community safe. Those of us following the rules should not have to put up with bans and stricter legislation because you wanted your $400 back on the fox you owned for 6 months. So please do the right thing for all three parties by returning it to the breeder, or rehoming it for free, or giving it to a sanctuary (sanctuary should always be last resort, imo).

*Of course, if you are USDA-licensed, you can legally profit off an animal.*
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah I saw someone rehoming a fox they got bored of recently but it was legal in their case because they had usda for exotic "pocket pets" as a breeder. Vast majority of rehomes are not legal due to no USDA license.

I actually told someone about this and used the term that the animals were part of the illicit animal trade. Which yes sounds stronger than illegal since illicit is most often used with drugs. But illicit=black-market=illegal. Hmm think I'll edit to use that :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 am

excellent posts mary and ash. hope this will help others to understand what could happen.
We are trying to improve the laws, not make them worse. when people buy illegal animals, they escape, bite someone,
this only encourages the laws to get stricter. Also I want to remind everyone, that buying an illegal pet, you most likely will also get fined if caught. it just takes one person to turn you in. You would be surprised, some people will act like they like your pet if they see it, then turn you in.
I have heard this happen also. If your animal bites someone, your animal is gone.

I can't say this enough: PLEASE make sure the proper research and understanding of the animal you want is completely understood
prier to getting any exotic animal. for some reason foxes seem very popular now. probably due to their beauty.
yes, they are pretty. no, they don't always make good pets. they are NOT like dogs. they CANNOT live in an apartment or any rental property.
they MUST have a decent and a very secure enclosure.

sometimes, I hear people telling me "oh, my fox is so friendly and they don't mark, he/she is just like a dog" yep, this is true as a KIT.
once they reach about 4-5 months that will all change. they will mark even the Russian foxes do. if you keep a fox in your house, apartment 24/7, expect your place to stink, and when they get bored, they will get destructive.

all species of exotic have different care, so again, no matter what animal you want, please make sure you completely understand what the proper needs are and make sure you can make the comment to that animal for its life. Also, when buying any exotic, please make sure you get the proper paper work to make make sure they are legal. Of course, make sure that animal is legal in your state, county and township/city.
yes, all that matters in most states.

We are here to help, not hurt. so if you have any questions, don't matter what it is, please ask. there are many experienced exotic animal owners here. We don't sugar coat anything, we tell it how it is. unlike some of the info on the web site. if you read, a fox is like a dog or cat, DON'T BELIEVE it.

Also, if you see any exotic animal online for sale, keep in mind, there are many scammers there. so make sure the person selling anything, is legit, and has a USDA license. To be honest, there are some people trying to claim they have Russian foxes. I seen one awhile ago, they claimed it was a Russian fox. The thing is, they used a picture a my silver fox. so that should tell you something. Some will steal others pictures.

Again, we are here to help..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:18 pm

I notice a lot of people on Craigslist "rehoming" baby sugar gliders, small parrots, and marmosets(!) for roughly what it would cost to buy one from a USDA-licensed breeder. I'm not talking about the "it didn't get along with our dog/cat/child so I'll give you the animal, the cage, and all its toys for what it cost for the cage" ads. I'm talking about the "we've got a lot of babies for x amount, they make great pets because y, make sure to bring a carrying cage" ads. These ads are very obviously illegal breeders, and they infuriate me. I flag them knowing that it will accomplish precisely nothing even if I get them removed.

I only tried to rehome animals for a fee once, when I bought some tortoises on Craigslist and tried to resell them there. But I found a woman who had experience with tortoises (and sent me pics of the enclosures she had for her other animals), and the only other interest I had were from two people who clearly knew nothing about tortoises (one wanted to trade then for a stereo set), so I let her have them for free. (When I gave up my parrots, I planned to give them up for free, said nothing about a rehoming fee, and eliminated anybody who asked about the fee in their first email from further consideration.)

I'd assumed that these backyard breeder operations were equally illegal for marmosets, sugar gliders and parrots, but is it actually legal to breed parrots small-scale without a license? And is there anything that I can do about these illegal Craigslist breeders? PETA actually did the right thing with the wallaby, yet I hate PETA and HSUS so much I cannot imagine asking for their help. And I have severe social anxiety which rules out investigating them myself.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:46 pm

USDA only regulates mammals though they keep talking of trying to add avian but have not yet. Many people are under the mistaken impression that small exotics like gliders fall under the hobby exemption but they do not. Even if they did that exemption is also limited to $500 annual maximum profit till you need a license so basically one glider sold and you'd need a license any way but the hobby exemption only applies to "dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, cows, goats, pigs, and sheep" Nothing exotic or wild.

You could try alerting your regional USDA branch office about such ads. One issue of course is their not knowing if the ads are real or scams. Scams would be FBI or local police issue instead.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:56 pm

How would the scam work? They want payment up front and promise to deliver the animal?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Yeah. Generally that's how. A person pays and never gets their animal. There are a lot of scam ads on things like graigs list. Here's an example http://ijinshare.com/fennec-fox-for-sale-exotic-animals But they are not always that obvious some are more sophisticated and claim to need to rehome but then find ways to talk you into money up front.

Other examples these are all scams http://www.adtob.com/sales/0/all/fennec ... in-tampa/1

Return to “CLASSIFIED/LOST AND FOUND”