Animals or supplies for Sale or Wanted
(SUB FORUM FOR LOST AND FOUND PETS)

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another Fox Up For Remoming...

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm

When the ad was first posted, the fox was 7 months old. Surprise, surprise... NOBODY gives up their foxes at THAT age... I'm sorry to be cynical, but it's just very disheartening seeing so many foxes in need of homes.

http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/42578945

I can't see the eye color well enough, but if the eyes are yellow, this looks like an amber fox. This fox came from a distributor here in Utah who doesn't screen their buyers so it's no surprise the owners weren't warned ahead of time about needing an enclosure or understanding the need for one. Responsibility also lies with the buyer, so both are at fault here. Poor fox did nothing, but is now going to be passed around from home to home. Fox is also in an area where it is being illegally kept due to its non-conformance to public health laws.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another Fox Up For Remoming...

Postby pat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:35 pm

that is so darn sad. poor fox. what a beautiful fox too.

this owner is asking 500.00 for it. doubt that will happen.
geez, I wish some of these people would plan ahead when considering a fox or any animal for that matter.

sure hope this fox finds a good home.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:58 pm

The sad part about the price is they are counting on someone who wants a fox but doesn't know they can get a kit for that price so they are trying to sell to someone who has no idea what they are getting into, because if they did know they'd know they could get a kit for the same price.

To put it very coldheartedly, your new car's value drops the second you buy it and so does your foxes. No one who knows anything is going to pay full price for an older fox. The only ones who will are people who are desperate or spur of the moment buyers and so don't even know enough to know where to buy one.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:26 pm

very good point Mary. then when the 2nd owner that lacks the understanding gets it, chances are good, the fox will again be re-homed or escape icon-sad

Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 am

A common reason I see for rehomes is this: not enough time.

Given the average person would have a job (I would hope so if you want to care for your animal) working the average 40 hour week, you should have time.

Work 8 hours for 5 days if you have an office job, or work 12 hours for 3 days if working in a hospital setting. The 12 hour shift would be harder because you really only have enough time to drive home, eat, shower, and go to bed. But on the other hand, you get 4 days off if you don't take overtime.

What would be considered not enough time?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Vata Raven wrote:A common reason I see for rehomes is this: not enough time.

Given the average person would have a job (I would hope so if you want to care for your animal) working the average 40 hour week, you should have time.

Work 8 hours for 5 days if you have an office job, or work 12 hours for 3 days if working in a hospital setting. The 12 hour shift would be harder because you really only have enough time to drive home, eat, shower, and go to bed. But on the other hand, you get 4 days off if you don't take overtime.

What would be considered not enough time?

or, so some say. I did it and still do. I have had lots of animals to care for. lot of work (more in the past with more animals), but, it can be done if the person really wants a fox or any animal for that matter. guess in my mind, it all boils down to "using common sense" :shrug:

to me, one or two foxes is nothing to care for, compared to what I had and have currently.

also, if an owner has help, that is a benefit.

However, you mentioned "what is considered enough time". that is a good question, but, hard to answer too.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Agreed, Vata. I think what people mean when they say "not enough time" is "I won't make the time." They'd rather spend it on other things.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Ash wrote:Agreed, Vata. I think what people mean when they say "not enough time" is "I won't make the time." They'd rather spend it on other things.

good point Ash. some people should decide before hand what is more important.

Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm

The excuse of "I don't have enough time" or "I can't give them the attention they deserve" are just that...excuses. Pathetic excuses. The animal doesn't care if you work 25 or 40 or 70 hours a week. They really don't. All they care about is the second they see you.

My father worked 70, my mother worked 40 and I went to school during the time we had cats, dogs, small animals and other pets. There was always time enough for them and the animals didn't go crazy, get depressed, act out or otherwise have a decrease in their quality of life.

"Not having enough time" is an excuse and that's the end of it. Ash's point that it's actually "I won't make the time", as well as "I can't be bothered, so here's a sob story to make me not look like a jerk" is 100% correct.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 am

"He is good with other dogs"...?
Do I detect an owner who thought they were buying a cuddly toy dog in a cool outfit?
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 pm

That's what is sounds like and like they are trying to sell it to someone else that way too.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Also, they really can't legally resell their fox, right? But not like there is an authority that cracks down on this stuff...I mean other than USDA, but only if they find out, I imagine.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 am

That is true, Vata. But they'll do it anyway. :/ Not legal, but at the moment Utah doesn't have an inspector to report stuff to. Though general USDA might help.

Return to “CLASSIFIED/LOST AND FOUND”