https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wolfdog Content Comparison Questions

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Viltor

Wolfdog Content Comparison Questions

Postby Viltor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Howdy,

My uncle had inherited a wolfhound from his best friend many years ago, and randomly my father came across an add for www.dysartswolfkennel.com and I know there is alot of fraud, so wanted some of your thoughts.

I also wanted to try and learn a bit more about it because, well, it piqued our interest (also dont want to be surprised. My family over the years has had multiple dogs, including 3 chow chows, an akita, and a german shephard.)

What is the personality difference between a high content, a mid, and a low? (I have a good idea about the mentality of highs from the forums and the wolfdog forum scanning, but I havnt seen a good comparison between them.

For example, does a low content need a full enclosure like the mid and high?

What is the destructive behavior difference? Energy levels? (not that much of a worry, I run 5 miles for a warm up before my work out and used to run my german shephard to exhaustion before he started getting old)

Any difference in eating habits? Howling?

Anything else you can tell me about mid to low contents?

Basically, Im trying to guide my father towards a low content instead of a medium, or even towards a tamaskan, but I need data and I know little about wolfdogs.

Thank you!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Wolfdog Content Comparison Questions

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

A high content animal more then likely will not be able to be kept in the house. They get bored easy and will destroy everything. They need a escape proof enclosure as they can easily jump 8ft straight up from a stand still position. So it has to be 8 to 10 ft tall. You also have to have dig guards as they can dig out in a matter of mins. Also it must be made of a better guage then regular chain link or wood fencing as they can eat threw that in no time also. Here's an ex. of fencing you have to use that I built for mine. http://virginiawolves.zoomshare.com/6.html
Also they turn very skittish of strangers once they hit around a year old. That can be over come if you are a person that will take them to public places almost everyday for the first year of they're life. You also have to get them very young or they will not bond to you properly. Usually you will get them at 4 weeks old. Some people will get them even younger and bottle feed them themselves. The breeders pull the highs at around 10 to 12 days old prior to them opening they're eyes so they will bond to humans. Alot of them get very car sick. etc. etc.

Now the lower contents, not all will need enclosures like this but it depends on the breed of dog that was used in the mix. Most wolfdogs the breeders use northern breeds and most of them are escape artist also, like you're huskies. Whatever breed they used the animal will more then likely act like that so you will have to research that breed. Besides the two highs I also have a low content that we rescued named Max. He is mostly husky and whoever originally trained him did a good job. He is house trained and knows tons of tricks.

Mids, its harder to tell if they're going to act more like the dog thats in them or the wolf.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:59 pm

That kennel definitely looks like fraud to me.

And there is NO way that these are high content wolfdogs.

For your question:
Low's: They will pretty much act like whichever dog is in their mix except they'll have a few wolfy personality quirks. Don't get me wrong, they are still more challenging than your average husky, and that's saying something! :lol: They can be trained to be good in the house.

Mid's: They should have their own enclosures because they are pretty destructive (8 feet tall fencing). I'm not sure about exercise requirements for these guys.

High's: You should not attempt to try a high until you've had experience with low's or mid's. These guys will definitely test you and of course cannot be in the house. They will literally chew up everything!! Your walls, the floor, your sofa, etc.. I was told that high's actually will exercise themselves. It's up to you to provide them with enough enrichment in their enclosure.

For all wolfdogs in general, they should be fed on a special high protein/high fat diet, but a raw diet is really the best.

If you dad wants a low content wolfdog, I think he could handle it since he's already had experience with an Akita. Those are pretty strong-willed dogs that should prepare him. icon-smile
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:32 pm

To be safe, I would probably at least keep a well-maintained outdoor enclosure prepared for when no one is going to be in the house with the dog. I wouldn't really trust keeping any wolf hybrid in a house with things you don't want eaten/destroyed :lol:

And besides the slightly larger-looking feet, I don't really notice any wolf characteristics in that first dog Splashstorm posted. It's head isn't anywhere close to being low, small face, large prick ears and obvious Husky markings don't indicate any percentage, in my eyes, anyway.

And also, like mentioned above, the BARF diet really is the best. Some dogs even benefit from it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Anyone with suggestions on where to look for respectable, honest low content breeders?

Everything I see for breeders that are honest are high or mid content.

I am used to escape artists also. I had a german shep that knew how to open doors, go into the fridge then open a drawer and nab the cheese then close it all up and hide/eat it. Everyone blamed everyone else for eating all the cheese until he was caught in the act.

My old chow chow however, we called hoodini... He would get out of steel cages... and we would come home and it would still be locked and closed up. He would be on the other side of the basement door where all the alarms are without setting off the door alarm or the motion trip sensors.

He also learned he could get in if he was tired of outdoors by ramming the door till it opened...
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:15 am

Haha, yeah, I've had my share of those too. My first dog Max was an Aussie/Malamute and boy was he good at tunneling/opening doors/generally escaping.

That's why I suggest an outdoor enclosure, you could easily make the floor of said enclosure from concrete and submerge the fence/welded wire into it to prevent escaping. That's what we eventually did with parts of our chain link fence that was weak at the bottom. Dug it out, filled with cement and bam, no more digging (in that particular area anyway, lol).

At the very least, it would prevent unwanted destruction of your home while you're out. But I'm sure if you're a person who is already used to living with animals prone to those behaviors, a low content may be tolerable in your home while you're there. Though where to get one is out of my knowledge range, unfortunately.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 am

Yea, I would rather pay more for an honest good breeder than some jerk who claims his stuff is higher content then it is.

I guess I am just weird... I haaaaaaate people who lie about their products/animals/services
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Splashstorm wrote:
For your question:
Low's: They will pretty much act like whichever dog is in their mix except they'll have a few wolfy personality quirks. Don't get me wrong, they are still more challenging than your average husky, and that's saying something!

Actually that is untrue, not all lows will have wolfy personality quirks or be more challenging then a average husky.

Please be careful of the misinformation you give out on these animals splashstorm. You can not learn everything there is to know about these animals only by reading about them. You have not owned highs, mids and lows, so dont know everything there is to know about them. All the lows are going to be different and be mostly like the dog breed in them. Some may be harder but not all of them.

And the mids can go either way. All are not going to be destructive. Some may and some may not.

And normally I do not even tell people about my high Loki and how he was because highs for the norm. are usually mostly all destructive. But Loki, I didn't lose anything to him in the house. I manged to get him house broken and all. He even went with me one year to Full moon farm to one of the get togethers and spent the night in a motel room uncrated. The only thing I lost to him was a cord that he chewed on as a puppy. Which to tell you the truth some doggie dog pups would of done the same thing at 8 weeks old. He has even been taught to ride nicely in the suv in a doggie seatbelt and hasnt chewed a thing in my vehicle.
Now Selene on the other hand was different shes the normal high content and between 4 weeks and 4 months I lost a brand new kitchen table set that she decided to eat the corners of, she chewed on the new carpet, ripped a 2x2 section out of my wall paper in the kitchen, and so on and so on, lol.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I dont know of a lot of low content breeders that are honest.
But this is one. Hers are so low and the f generation is so far back that they actually consider the pups they produce to be dogs.
The pups are around F6 30 some odd percent. She knows all the lineage of her animals.

This is one of the females she uses (Slate) that I think is absolutely gorgeous. She is a 75% F5 and breeds her to a imported blue sheperd named Jordan

Here's the website, she's calling her line Blue Bay Shepherds

http://www.bluebayshepherds.com
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Lmao oddly enough, the most destructive one I had was my G. Shep.
My chow decided to eat a bunch of blinds his last year, but he had been perfect his entire life,
and it was almost impossible to be mad when he was going deaf and blind and was scared.

Rommel, however, was a missle. He targeted the most expensive things, and gnawed the bejesus out of them.
Old china set displays made of really expensive wood and cover the whole wall? Chewed the entire base up.
Dining room mahogany chair set? Lunch time!
New couches? Time to rip open! (thankfully he only ripped open the underside of the cushions and as such, it was easily hidden)
He destroyed iron lamps, cords, shoes (He apparently loved my navy dress shoes... he chewed up every pair or any that looked like it)

I think the only thing he didnt break / destroy is the car lmao.
Artemis

Postby Artemis » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:10 pm

I've only had hands on experience living with a low-content, so I can give you a perspective on that.

He's currently 6 months old, and weighing in at 70 lbs. He's a low content wolf/german shepherd/husky cross, and definitely an interesting dog. I've kept various dogs throughout my life (mostly retriever mixes), but Achilles is a whole different animal. He spent the first two and a half months of his life living solely with my 14-year-old lab mix, and seems to have taken on many of his characteristics.

It took longer to housetrain him than other dogs that I've had (approx. 3 months to get him 100%), and he's much more of a chewer than other dogs. We keep a steady supply of Kong toys, pig's ears, and rawhide chews available at all times. He's something of an escape artist, and can dig a huge hole in a matter of seconds. If he's loose in the house, he HAS to be supervised, or he will flip the trash cans and tear whatever he can get in his mouth to shreds.

Now that you've heard the challenging aspects of having a wolfdog (even a LOW-content), here are the good parts. I've had him since he was 4 1/2 weeks old, so he's bonded to me, and only me. He's very loyal, tho not always completely obedient. He's affectionate, but not overbearing. Once he understood that my bedroom was his sleeping place, he stopped tearing anything up in there overnight. I made sure to socialize him as much as possible while he was younger, and it has definitely paid off. He's very friendly with new people, as long as I'm around. I live on a farm, and he took to having horses, chickens, cats and others dogs around very well.

If you're willing to put in the time to raise a wolfdog properly, it can pay off very satisfactorily. They're amazing, challenging dogs.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Yep, I've heard many owners of wolfdogs say that even many lows were considerably more challenging than your average dog, and unless you lived with a northern breed and LOVED it, you would hate living with a wolfdog. :hin: I've also heard people say that even though they owned lows and mids, they were still blown away by their highs.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 pm

@Cindy, of course there will be exceptions but this is what I've heard most people say.

ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:36 pm

When giving recomendations about things with animals, its really best to go off experience.
Not to really tell people, "hey, this is what I heard" or Joe Blow said because you do not know what could be true or wrong. You very well could be giving out misinformation. Anyone can go and read on the internet about things. And I believe the op was asking about just that, people experiences with them, not what someone has read or heard.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:46 pm

At the refuge, we have everything from low to high content wolfdogs. They're all in large enclosures. Here are some photos of the wolfdogs. icon-smile

This is one of our high-mids = Razz standing on me
This is one of the low-mids.. maybe just low = Nakara running to dive into my lap
This is a high with a low = Journey and Sasha. Here's a better one of Sasha.
Here's the high content again.
This is Nahaya. She's a mid/high. She looks very wolfy except for a few small things I could point out (biggest one is her nose color).

Here are some of the lows = Jade and Another of her. She's mostly shepherd.
She came in as a pup with her father Jaxx the black one. Nibbles is also a low/mid. He has some great Pyrenees in him for size, we believe. Judging from his head shape. He weighs 198 lbs. Another of Nibbles.
This is Warrior.

The low content wolfdogs we have are the ones that are most likely to beg for attention when you go past their fences and go in to feed and water. When there are tours, we allow people to touch the LC animals. They have no perimeter fences, as they are very friendly and affectionate for the most part. There are some exceptions, like if one was abused before it came to us or something, but usually the ones we have are very "oh please oh please pet me. love me. I'll go get the ball. Want a stick? here's a stick!" They have boundless energy and oh dear god, Nibbles has almost clobbered me to death trying to love on me. He's learned that he can knock me off my feet so he can steal my shoes off my feet (and I can't him leave without my shoes) if he gets between my legs and stands up. Not even jumps. Just "oh I'm a pony" stands up.

The mids are a little less predictable in temperament. We have two really great, well trained, mid/high that we use as ambassadors and take to events. One is getting old and grumpy though, so we use the other now. A couple of our mids have amazing personalities but none of us can handle them on leashes in public- not because they're not friendly with strangers.. just the opposite. We don't want the public running up and grabbing a wolfdog's face without asking first, and when we're being dragged like a marmaduke cartoon by an 80 lb wolfdog to be petted, that doesn't help things. lol

The two "wolfiest" we have.. one definite HC and one very high mid MAYBE high content (Journey & Nahaya) are both very shy and stand-offish. I've been around for almost 2 years and the closest I've ever come to touching either of them is touching their noses. Journey is a big thief. He's getting brave with me, and will steal things out of my back pockets to play chase, but only if he knows I can't catch him. Nahaya only comes if I have food. She's very sweet with one of her keepers, who has had time to sit in her enclosure at night and just wait for her to come to her.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”