Echo photos here!

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Echo photos here!

Postby sarajeku » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 pm

So, we received a litter of 8 puppies at wolf run this week. I sort of talked about this with Cindy earlier when we first got them in, since there was a HUGE debate between people who didn't work or volunteer there about what the "percentage" of wolf puppies must be. I tried to politely point out that percentages are nearly impossible to find, even with DNA, and that it's best to call them low/no wolfdogs (and husky mixes to people you don't trust or know), but they wouldn't have it. They HAD to know the percentage of wolf in them and acted like I was making excuses for wolf run not knowing. :wall:

The first pictures posted of the puppies made them look very dog like. And they do look very "doggy" but after seeing the parents- the father looks like a low/mid in person but the one photo I have of him doesn't really do him justice.. makes him look less "wolfy" (he was still in the van that the woman who dropped them off was living in), but the mother is almost all husky- so the babies do have a little bit of wolf in them.
Here's a picture of both parents. The mom is on the right, the dad is the pretty fluffy one. My puppy REALLY takes after the mom. He has her almost exact facial markings and coat length, but a more agouti (wolfy) coat color.

Anyway, since I've worked with wolfdogs for so long and eventually want to own a high content, I figured it might be a good idea to start myself out owning low content first. Especially since the alternative adopter for my puppy was a woman who kept asking "he's a FULL BLOODED wolf hybrid, right?!" and I just couldn't get it through her head that a wolfdog, especially low content, means they're a mutt. There's no such thing as a "full blooded hybrid." I didn't like that she called them hybrids either, but meh. :shrug: Since this one was the last one available, I pulled my boss aside and just told her I'd take him, which made him unavailable to the woman only wanting an animal that was part wolf to show off her "wolf."

I just call Echo a low/no to people I know aren't stupid. To the people who have been around me enough to hear me rambling about contents enough to know low/no means he's pretty much all dog. The one person I did tell the truth to that didn't know anything about them was the manager for my rental company. I wanted her okay to bring in another dog, and I wanted to make sure that if I brought him home it would be on the lease that his breed would be allowed (or not banned at the very least). I spent 45 minutes educating her on how a LC will behave if raised right vs any dog that is left alone for hours on end to fend for itself. In the end, I got the okay AND I got him added to the lease! (happy elephant dance for that!)
:eleph:

I picked my little man up this morning and it took me half the day to name him. He ended up giving himself a name when he threw his head back and howled this deep wolf howl when I stepped around the corner into the kitchen. I peeked and howled back, and he returned it, so I called him Echo.
He is VERY friendly and loves people, other dogs, cats, and attention. He's very praise oriented, and I'm still trying to gauge whether he's toy or food oriented for training. I'm thinking maybe squeaky toy oriented. At least that's what he seems most interested in, in a new, strange environment.
He follows Daisy's every step, but Daisy is used to being an only child so Daisy is being dominant and snappy so she doesn't like being followed. Fortunately, he's very submissive, so he just flops over on his back and she backs off. At this point, technically he's my foster puppy, but once he's neutered, I can officially adopt him. I've already told my boss that I plan to.
Here's Echo giving himself his name!

Sorry for writing a book! Here's the pictures you've been waiting for through all this writing!
Echo licking the air in his sleep
Here he is on the car ride home (it's a long ride home)
I didn't have anywhere to put him, so I just put him in my passenger seat. He was SO good. He just went right to sleep.

Echo is the awake one in this picture
The bottom one in this one

This one, you can actually see his coat color the best. He was finally dry after his first bath after coming home. You can tell he has an agouti colored coat and how beautiful he is.
Wanting attention

Echo wants belly rubs!
And, here he is right after I put his collar on him in the grass at WR. He was angry at me and wanted it off. He kicked at his neck until I scooped him into my arms.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Echo photos here!

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Aww he's so cute :icon-wink:
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Thank you! We had a breakthrough today with Echo and Daisy! I think it was my taking away all the food bowls that are always on the ground. But now they get along (namely, she doesn't growl at him).

Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:28 pm

That first picture of him howling really makes me want to hear it! He is quite a handsome little man. (Daisy is a beautiful lady too of course :rhin: )
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Adorable! And congrats on your first "wolf dog". I'm glad Daisy is getting around to accepting him.
~RabbleFox
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Aww! Cute little puppy he is! :bear:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Thank you! I have so many videos of him whimpering and me making crazy sounds so far because I'm trying to get his howl on video. lol I'll get it soon! I also have a video of him trying to turn a video of a wolf howling off because it distressed him. When it didn't work, he just hid in my lap. I'll have to be sneaky Image

As much as he acts like a dog, I don't really consider him a wolfdog, even though he technically is very low content. He's only peed in the house once or twice since I got him, and only times when I've been doing something and not noticed he wanted to go out (i.e. sleeping, in the bathroom with the door closed). He's VERY smart and very eager to please. If he knows he's done something to make me happy (like potty outside) you can see that he is visibly happy and proud of himself. He runs right up to strangers for attention and doesn't bother the cats (even though they pick on them). He just takes their abuse with a calm (but sad) expression and walks away. He's also flawless with his recall already. Even when a bird or squirrel catches his attention! I'll start leash training him soon, but I'm so glad he comes when he's called and I can take him out off the leash to potty.
He is mouthy (with baby needle teeth!) and he's very "talkative" (he talks back when you talk to him) which I need to work on a bit for the neighbors' sake, but otherwise, he's a little angel.

I've talked to one of the ladies who took his brother (the dark one with the tipped ear, playing with him in my first post) and she says the brother is definitely not a good housedog. Compared to Echo, he's destructive, chews on the furniture, walls, resident dogs (they have 4 mastiffs), etc. Hers also chases her cat (prey drive) and she can't let him off the leash or he bolts (good thing he's still wobbly or she'd never catch him). The last problem she has with her puppy is that he isn't potty training like mine. Granted, it's only been 24 hours, but she's a bit upset that mine picked it up so easily while hers didn't.

So at least it's not environment and mine is just a great little dog!

Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Beautiful on the inside and the outside huh, I cannot wait to see how he turns out in just half a year!
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 pm

He's so super cute. Glad he's working out so well!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 am

Wow, you got the pick of the litter! I can't wait to see him all grown either.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Congrats! I'll bet you're thrilled to have him. I absolutely love his coloring.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Thank you! I feel very fortunate that I got a puppy so amazing & well behaved. Even more so that he's so pretty. :mrgreen:
More pictures! (Not taken with my phone)

Edit: I just saw Ash's message as I was about to post. Exactly what you said! lol
Artemis

Postby Artemis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am

Congratulations on your pup! First wolfdogs are always an adventure!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Here's Echo's 7 week picture!

I'll probably keep spamming you guys until he a) gets older and less totally adorable. Then the pictures will probably be once a week rather than more than once a day. Or b) he eats my camera. Which is why I've already started training, before he was even 7 weeks old. I'm determined to occupy that smart little brain of his.

Also, the woman we rescued him from finally agreed to turn the parents over to us to have them spayed & neutered. Anyone calling a siberian husky (all dog) "full wolf" needs her dogs neutered and needs to stop breeding, because all she's doing is misrepresenting wolfdogs. Image She doesn't need to be keeping the dogs she has until she finds a place to live, but that's not my place to say anything about. :shrug: She's living in a van with 5 unaltered adult dogs. A couple of them are actual wolfdogs, while the rest appear to me to be shepherds or huskies.

Anyway, here are some better pictures of the parents. At least, WAY better than the one image in my first post.
Momma dog- Echo takes after her in coat length and facial markings.

Daddy wolfdog- I'm not sure what echo got from him, other than size. lol
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm

I'll probably keep spamming you guys until he a) gets older and less totally adorable. Then the pictures will probably be once a week rather than more than once a day.
Oh goodness I hope not! I look forward to the spamming once he's older and more of a handsome man!
As to the woman... :wall:

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”