PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wolfdog or Really West Siberian Laika? What breed is this?

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Wolfdog or Really West Siberian Laika? What breed is this?

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Ok. So, on the Tamaskan forum,there's a topic for other wolf-like breeds and someone posted this picture:
claiming that it is a West Siberian Laika.

The problem is that this dog looks extremely wolfy not just in color but in muzzle,head,and ear shape as well in my opinion. Secondly, the pictured animal looks nothing like other photos of West Siberian Laika's that I've found(There's a very nice site called laikabreeds.com which has photos gallery of all the breeds of laika and a way to contact the person who manages the site,but unfortunately,even though it was up yesterday, it isn't working today and I don't know if it's going to start working again or not or if it's been permenantly taken down. I would've e-mail that person since they seemed very knowlegdable about the laika breeds but I didn't get around to it yesterday and the site was gone today. :/ So, since I couldn't ask a laika expert, I did the next best thing and decided to ask the wolfdog experts here if this was really a laika or was actually a wolfdog):

Here's a real West Siberian Laika:

More pictures of real West Siberian Laikas:
http://animalszoopark.blogspot.com/2008 ... erian.html

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Wolfdog or Really West Siberian Laika? What breed is thi

Postby sarajeku » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Here's an article that mentions them.
http://retrieverman.net/2012/10/07/can-you-tell-a-wolf-hybrid-by-looking-at-it/

Breeding West Siberian laikas to wolves is really nothing new, and the practice continues in Russia to this day. Knowing the politics of wolf hybrids in the United States, it might not be wise to discuss this feature in the West Siberian laika. There is a certain politically correct movement that views any sort of wolf hybrid as a skittish, dangerous animal, when in reality, the animals vary quite a bit. Having been around a West Siberian laika, I can attest that they are less wild and skittish than many other Nordic breeds.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for the info,Sarajeku. I actually already talked to the person who posted the photo the other day though and they told me that the dog is from a kennel in the Netherlands called Arctic Sobaki (who doesn't seem to be breeding anymore because I can't find their website :shrug: ) and the dog is named Borr Tundra. I asked them if the kennel wasn't lying about what they had and they told me that he had participated in shows as a purebred West Siberian Laika so he must be purebred and sure enough, I looked it up and he has won several Best in Shows as a purebred West Siberian Laika,so I guess he just looks very wolfy in that photo.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Elina

Postby Elina » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Is that dog not perfect then? A wolf look alike that really does look more like a wolf then most.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Elina wrote:Is that dog not perfect then? A wolf look alike that really does look more like a wolf then most.

Technically, a West Siberian Laika is not a wolf look alike breed. They weren't bred to look like wolves like Tamaskans, Northern Inuits, Utonagans, and such. They are a primitive spitz like breed bred by the natives of Russia and Siberia to hunt large game such as bears. They're primitive-ness just happens to give them a wolfy look. Personally, I think the spitz breeds that have natural wolfy looks like Siberain Huskies(only in certain coat colors though), Alaskan Malamutes(same as Huskies), Canadian Inuit Dogs(same as the others),the Laika breeds,etc. look more like wolves than the breeds that are specifically being bred in an attempt to get wolf-like dogs such as Northern Inuits,etc.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 am

You should see the Seppala Siberian sleddog. That dog is the working-line version of the Siberian husky. They were at one point considered the same breed, but the Seppala line split away and continued being working dogs while Sibes were bred for their looks.

Seppala vs. Siberian husky:
Image Image
Which is the better sled dog? :roll:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 am

Seppala comes in more colors than just "wolfy" colors though. The breed standard even specifies that the coat color can be any color or pattern as long as lips, nose and eye rims are black, and that isn't a fault either. It's just for function.

I like this color from the Seppala line:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm

They are still a lot leggier and leaner than huskies, with more "rugged" coloring/patterns, if you may. I love their blue eyes. It really pops out much more than their show-bred cousins'.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 pm

That's true. Although, a few of the black and whites just made me think of blue eyed border collies. :lol:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Lol, more like a Koolie or a Kelpie/Australian shepherd cross. icon-smile

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:17 am

Those Sepalas are beautiful and very wolfy-looking in certian colors. I love that non-wolf-like colored one as well though. Some huskies have wolfy colors,but it's rare. There are Agouti huskies, Sable huskies, and Wolf Grey huskies,but I believe they aren't that common of colors.

Agouti Huskies(These 3 have somewhat wolfy colors along with the husky called Jasmini on the linked page):

http://www.huskycolors.com/agouti.html

Sable Huskies( Huskies pictured as well as Nigel, Indiana, and Tuffy in the link posted below):

http://www.huskycolors.com/sable.html

And finally Wolf Grey(The husky pictured as well as Gamble, Granite, Mac, and Goosack (sort of) in the link posted below)

http://www.huskycolors.com/wolf.html

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Those huskies are all so pretty. :D

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 am

Echo is considered wolf gray (mal or husky). It is described by the standard to be:
A warm shade of grey with casts of beige, tan, yellow or red behind the ears, above the hocks and in the saddle area. The undercoat is beige. A wolfish mask is NOT part of the requirements for this category.

Remember how pale beige he was when he was tiny? Now that fuzzy beige undercoat looks white against his gray hair. He still has tan ears and back legs.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Splashstorm wrote:Those huskies are all so pretty. :D

I know. My favorites are the sables Felix and Indiana personally.

@Sarajeku:Yep. I remember. I can't wait to see how handsome he is when he grows up. He's getting more and more wolfy look and less husky-like as he ages. His fur is alot more blended with more browns and blacks now. ;)

Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Looks like a West Siberian Laika to me. Could be a cross between a Malamute and a Laika, tho.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”