Wolfdog breeder?

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

luccistar
Banned
Banned

Wolfdog breeder?

Postby luccistar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I have come up upon this breeder of wolfdogs located in Ontario.
I was curious to know if any of you got their wolfdogs from him, or if you know someone who has.

I was just curious to know if his wolfdogs are high content wolves, and if he isn't a spam or anything like that.
The guy's name is Mark Dorey.
He calls his animals "Volga Wolfhounds". I'm not a wolf/wolfdog expert, FAR from that actually, so I might be wrong when I say that Volga Wolfhounds are wolf hybrids. So please, correct me if I'm wrong :)

He sells each pup for $1000. He doesn't have any website, but he sent me pictures of his male VW, and a pup he gifted to his friend who lives very close to me.

I will attach some of the pictures, so you can see what those canines look like.
Attachments
IMG00109-20110220-1340.JPG
Umoo (adult) with his baby, when he was 1-2 months old.
IMG00123-20110228-1025.JPG
The baby when he was around 3 months and his dad, Umoo.
Loup (1).JPG
The baby when he was around 4-5 months
Mid Nov 2012 004.jpg
The same baby around 4-5 months
Anda aka Luccistar
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Wolfdog breeder?

Postby sarajeku » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Sorry, but none of those look at all like a high content. I would say low, MAYBE lower-mid at best. I can't say whether they are "worth" $1000, but I wouldn't pay that much for a low-mid. I've seen that ad before and he looks legit as long as he isn't claiming to have something he doesn't. It's just not something I would own.
He could be attempting to create a breed, or he could be out for the money. You never know.
luccistar
Banned
Banned

Postby luccistar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 pm

sarajeku wrote:Sorry, but none of those look at all like a high content. I would say low, MAYBE lower-mid at best. I can't say whether they are "worth" $1000, but I wouldn't pay that much for a low-mid.

Okay, thanks for the informatiosn! I wasn't interested to buy one of these anyways, I was just curious, because the pups looked a bit odd to be high/mid wolves to me...thanks! :)
Anda aka Luccistar
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 am

Yep. I'm adding some pictures so you can see what a high content looks like. A very good quality HC should be almost indistinguishable from a wolf, except by a very trained eye.

______

All of these are either white or black phase.
White phase
White phase
Grey phase

These grow up to look something like this (same breeder):
This is the same wolfdog as puppy carrying the pinecone. He is 7 months old and not fully phased out.
Black phase adult
Grey phase adult (different breeder)
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:23 am

Those animals are definately not high contents. On top of that they're breaking the law as wolfdogs are totally illegal in Ontario.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:37 am

Cindy23323 wrote:Those animals are definately not high contents. On top of that they're breaking the law as wolfdogs are totally illegal in Ontario.

Ohhh I didn't know they were illegal to own in Ontario! That explains the price tag.
Maybe that's why the guy named them Volga wolfhounds? Or something like that. Maybe he saw the Sarloos wolfhound (the "wolfy" look) and thought "oh! I can get away with having and selling wolfdogs if I just name them something else!"
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Yea in Canada theres only two providences that are legal B.C and Saskatchewan.
Manitoba, Ontario,Nova Scotia, Newfoundland,Quebec,newbrunswick, PEI, Alberta, Labrador, and the Yukon are illegal.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:21 am

Those dogs in luccistar's post just look like husky mixes if not pure huskies to me.

I love Wolf Crossing's animals.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 am

Huskies have smaller, more narrow faces. They are a lot more streamlined.
I'd go with mal mixes, but with what, we don't know. And keep in mind. My boy is a LC. I met both parents and he's starting to look like a leggy husky with pale gold eyes and shepherd ears. All of his siblings look MUCH more wolfy than he does. Which is why I tend to give mal mixes the benefit of the doubt if they actually do look a bit wolfy, because we have no idea what they are mixed with, and phenotyping is much more complicated than it appears on the surface. You need better images, more than one view, and ideally a video of the animal moving but not always. One glance at Echo, you would also automatically say he's full husky, but he isn't. Just saying.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:51 am

Well,with Echo, he's still growing so it's hard to tell. I was going by the adult dogs in the post when saying they look like huskies,but I guess they could be malamute mixes like you said.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Yep it is hard to tell with babies.
When Selene was a baby, it was my opinion that it looked like she had gsd in her

And Loki, well I dont know what it looked like he had in him, but to me he was quite odd looking in these pics.

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:37 pm

@Cindy: D'awww. I love their baby pics. So adorable.

Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Pff, these are NOTHING close to high or mid content wolfdogs. Low, or no content wolf dogs in my opinion. And no, they're not pure huskies. Sarajeku stated very well the differences between these so called Volga Wolfhounds and pure Huskies, so I will not bother doing the same again.

And yes, that guy is breaking the law SO bad if these are actually wolfdogs. However, I know of someone, who knows people owning wolfdogs and coywolves in Ontario (lower contents) and saying their some kind of mix of breeds. Most of these people, from what the person told me, live away from the city boundaries, near the forest; that explains why they can easily get away with their wolfdogs.

And Cindy, they are adorable!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm

having a wolfdog at all in a strictly illegal area is dangerous to the animal and irresponsible of the owner. They obviously don't care about the animals enough over they're own greed to have them, to put an animal at risk of being confiscated and killed.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

I agree. Keeping an animal illegally is selfish. It typically ends up as a death sentence for the animal.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”