Potty Training

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Potty Training

Postby sarajeku » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 am

I'm posting this here because of Echo's breed, but it can be moved if it seems more relevant under a different category. I actually wasn't sure where to put it. :shrug:
First off, I want to say, he's FINALLY going potty outside reliably- with just a few pee pee accidents in the house, almost always when I'm getting out of the shower. My post is not about him pottying in the house. Although, it did take almost 8 weeks to teach that.

I've never smacked or physically hurt him in any way (for anyone in the future who reads this and thinks that's okay). I have Christmas bells on my door. I keep them there all the time. [Note: If I find the same thing in a different color, like brown, I'd love to not have my one Christmas decoration up year around.] :lol: If I'm in another room, he first rings the bells, then he sits politely and waits, and if I didn't hear, he howls. It's the cutest thing. I ALWAYS come if he howls, and I howl back (which is reinforcement enough for him to do that).

My issue is that he LOVES water. If it's raining, he rings the bells on the door to go out, at least every 30 minutes. Just to play in the rain. I've even tried shielding him with an umbrella, but he likes the puddles. He liked it even more to not have it falling on his head. :roll:
He gets a 2 (ish) mile walk each afternoon/evening, and he sleeps for a good 4 hours after. After he wakes up, he and Daisy romp. And these are only days he DOESN'T go to work with me.

All day, he drinks a massive amount of water. I've had to limit it. I let him drink his whole bowl (which is 2 cups.. I've used a measuring cup). He lays in front of it. Then take it away for 2 hours so I can do other things. Work, shower, write all of these papers I have to do, put together presentations, drive him to work with me (an hour's drive). He's pretty good about rationing himself if no one is there to refill it. Not sure how a 14 week old puppy figured that out. He drinks a little, then naps, plays, whatever he does while I'm gone.
He only has access to the living room.

Daisy comes and goes, and has her own self-filling water bowl.
caninesrock

Re: Potty Training

Postby caninesrock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Have you ever tried ignoring the bell when you knew he was only ringing it to go out and play in the rain or for some other reason besides having to go potty? If that works, he should eventually realize that he'll only get let out when he has to potty and so should only ring the bell for that.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Yep. I tried that. He immediately started going potty in the house again and I had to re-train the bell. When they say wolfdogs are difficult to potty train, yeah. It's true. lol
I KNOW for a fact that when he wants to hold it, he can. Usually, if I have to go somewhere without him, I'm home within 2 hours. But it's been a hectic couple of weeks, so there have been days I've been gone up to 4 hours. I worry and come home in a rush to check on him, and he just puts his little ears back and snuggles me like always. No accidents.

He learns very quickly what I want from him. But he also learns what he can get away with.

At the moment, the living room is barricaded so that I can see him at all times. He ate the puppy gate. So now it's a toy box + pile of boxes full of books. And a cat tree.

It's his love of water, then needing to go out so often that concerns me. Although the vet says he's fine. He just drinks an obscene amount of water if I let him (when I'm home only). If I'm gone, he rations himself and he's fine. No one is home to take him out. There will even be water left.
But when I'm home, he will plop down, wrap both front paws around his water bowl, and drink the whole thing all at once. Then he'll need to go out every hour or so. If I don't wait a couple hours to refill it, I get nothing done.
I know the arctic fox owners made some comments a while back about how much the arctics drank. I wonder if it has something to do with his malamute heritage.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Maybe he's really smart, and drinking lots of water to validate the want to go outside? :shock:
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:06 pm

You're right about how smart he is.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's planning some way to go out and play with his friends while I'm gone, then pretends to be asleep when he hears my car. They hide their whiteboard with all their math and equations.. change the wall back to show pictures of Totem instead. *very cartoonish* :lol:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:32 pm

That's great that he's finally pottytrained. c: Lol, Love that he howls if you don't hear the bell.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:26 am

Yep. I tried that. He immediately started going potty in the house again and I had to re-train the bell. When they say wolfdogs are difficult to potty train, yeah. It's true. lol

Oh man. That's rough.

I KNOW for a fact that when he wants to hold it, he can. Usually, if I have to go somewhere without him, I'm home within 2 hours. But it's been a hectic couple of weeks, so there have been days I've been gone up to 4 hours. I worry and come home in a rush to check on him, and he just puts his little ears back and snuggles me like always. No accidents.

Aw. That's adorable how he greets you. And that's very naughty of him to wee wee because you won't let him outside when he wants to go out even if he doesn't really have to potty. :lol:

He learns very quickly what I want from him. But he also learns what he can get away with.

Little rebel. But that's what gives him personality. ;)

At the moment, the living room is barricaded so that I can see him at all times. He ate the puppy gate. So now it's a toy box + pile of boxes full of books. And a cat tree.

He ate the puppy gate or he just chewed it up a little?

It's his love of water, then needing to go out so often that concerns me. Although the vet says he's fine. He just drinks an obscene amount of water if I let him (when I'm home only). If I'm gone, he rations himself and he's fine. No one is home to take him out. There will even be water left.
But when I'm home, he will plop down, wrap both front paws around his water bowl, and drink the whole thing all at once. Then he'll need to go out every hour or so. If I don't wait a couple hours to refill it, I get nothing done.
I know the arctic fox owners made some comments a while back about how much the arctics drank. I wonder if it has something to do with his malamute heritage.

Maybe he just gets really hot from all his fur? :shrug:
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:15 am

He ate the puppy gate or he just chewed it up a little?

When I'm exaggerating or joking, I say so.

He likes to eat pieces of wood when I'm not around so he ripped the wooden frame apart and chewed it until it was totally unrecognizable. Fortunately, the white mesh (or whatever it was that the barrier itself on the gate is made of) passed a few days later.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:27 am

My aunt's dog eats wood. Its the best toothbrush around. He literally has the pearliest whites I have ever seen on a dog. Echo just wants to have pretty teeth.

Pepper uses bells to let us know he needs to go potty too. He also uses them to tell us he wants to go out and romp around the neighborhood. Since he is getting older, I try and let him out everytime he rings but immediately call him in after he goes potty. Playtime is on my time. When you let him out maybe try making it pretty boring, go potty, come in. Its going to be hard to make potty time boring seeing as he plays with puddles but maybe that will work?
~RabbleFox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:59 pm

RabbleFox wrote: Its going to be hard to make potty time boring seeing as he plays with puddles but maybe that will work?

Maybe take him out on leash unless it is play time. Teach him the command for going potty also. Have him go potty and sometimes let him play once he does and other times bring him in, so he wont realise that going potty means he has to go back in or he will just ignore the command to stay out longer.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:13 pm

He has to be leashed when he's outside at the apartment, but I do have a 20 foot training lead I could use to give him play time once he's done. That's a good idea. I did start out giving him commands "pee pee" and "poop" for peeing and pooping. He used to listen, but he did start ignoring them. Maybe giving him play time when he's finished sometimes will get him back on track, with listening to those commands.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm

sarajeku wrote:He likes to eat pieces of wood when I'm not around so he ripped the wooden frame apart and chewed it until it was totally unrecognizable. Fortunately, the white mesh (or whatever it was that the barrier itself on the gate is made of) passed a few days later.

Wow. :shock: People aren't kidding when they say wolfdogs are destructive. Time to get a puppy gate made of metal. Lol. :lol:

Viltor

Postby Viltor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53 pm

caninesrock wrote:
sarajeku wrote:He likes to eat pieces of wood when I'm not around so he ripped the wooden frame apart and chewed it until it was totally unrecognizable. Fortunately, the white mesh (or whatever it was that the barrier itself on the gate is made of) passed a few days later.

Wow. :shock: People aren't kidding when they say wolfdogs are destructive. Time to get a puppy gate made of metal. Lol. :lol:

I had a GSD who would chew on/destroy iron things in the house. Destroyed my favorite lamp that way!
Kaiser destroyed a heavy duty dog gate as well by pushing on it... ripped the metal bolts out of the wood. We had to go to a cage when we were gone because of it.

I have yet to manage to get my dog to use bells to go to the bathroom. He just makes it blatantly obvious by barking as he pushes his muzzle into my side. If that doesnt work, he tries climbing into my chair while barking.

As for the water issue, would it be possible to give him a huge thing of water outside and let him romp around and drink to his hearts content?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm

This is an old thread, and his potty training is nearly flawless now. He has no trouble with water anymore. He had started marking, but neutering helped that.
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Weird... this had showed up as orange and on top earlier. I never even thought to check the date because it was "new" on my screen....

I swear I havnt been in the sauce!

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”