It's Time! Kind of.

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

It's Time! Kind of.

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

After 4 years with Wolf Run and wishing for my own, it's finally time! I'm starting my enclosure, and hopefully will be able to get my first high content wolfdog next spring. I'm hoping to use my future baby as an ambassador animal. And of course, a photography model, just like Echo. Yay for picture spam!

I'm planning to do a 10' high fence, with additional lean ins at the top and a dig guard at the bottom. I still need to go up and measure where I'm going to put the enclosure. I'll be doing that later today (provided it stops raining so I don't fall down the mountain). I'll also be building steps to get up to the enclosure, since it's a steep climb (not a long one, just steep) to get to the flat. I'll post pictures later of where I plan to put the enclosure, as long as you all ignore the high weeds. It's a gorgeous, forested place just above the house.
RabbleFox

Re: It's Time! Kind of.

Postby RabbleFox » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 am

Yay! I'm so excited for you!!! Do you know who you will be getting a pup from? I can't wait to see where you will put the enclosure, it sounds very natural. I also just enjoy enclosure building in general so there is that too. :P
~RabbleFox
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:39 am

I have an idea who I would like to get my pup from, but I haven't put a deposit down yet or anything. I'll likely do that in a couple of months when I've made some progress on my enclosure.

I'm so indecisive and it's a big decision, but I'd really like to get one from Jeff Begeman. I just love his white wolfdogs.. and gender isn't a big factor for me. I'd be happy with either, but I'd like a girl puppy.

This is one from his line:
http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=10713
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm always partial to males for some reason. Do you have a reason for your slight preference?

That Wolfdog is beautiful! White with nice markings. He is a fancy guy. :P

You will have to photo spam us everyday. I hope you are prepared for it. XD
~RabbleFox
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Ooh, that's just so exciting! I'm so happy for you! It'll be so wonderful for you to get your dream animal.

I would love to see where you'll be building the enclosure and also I would love to see updates as it gets built. I really like seeing peoples' works in progress. It really helps give me ideas of my own for building enclosures. Are you going to use cattle panels?

I know it's early, but do you have any names you're thinking about?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I've just always like girls. And Echo is the only man in my life. :lol:
I'll eventually want a male too, but I just want a female first.

I love those silver markings on his arctics.
Oh! I also e-mailed him today. I'll be putting a deposit down soon. :mrgreen:

I know owning one is way different from just working with them and going home at night, but I've worked at wolf run for 4 years. I moved away in April, so now I just visit every couple of weeks. At wolf run, I gained experience with lows, mids, and high content wolfdogs. Hopefully that's enough experience to know what I'm getting into. Obviously, I still have a lot to learn, but I'll still be researching for the next year.

Ash, I do have a few names in mind, but I'm sure they'll change before I pick her up.
As of right now, my favorite is "Sparrow" "Wren" or "Remi"
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:42 pm

How exciting, building a new enclosure.

You do know that Jeff does not ship right? He makes everyone drive to pick them up.

I've always prefered males the most. Loki is way more laid back then Selene, who is a hyper little booger.
Plus the females tend to get same sex aggressive. Females fight to death, then if you're lucky and get them seperated they can never be together again.
Males on the other hand fight for points. I've seen males fight and then 10 mins. later they're best friends again.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I wanted to pick up anyway, so that's not an issue. He is within driving distance from here (just over 4 and a half hours), which is about the same as what I drive every 2-3 weeks to visit wolf run. Only it'll seem so much longer because of the anticipation. :lol:

Thanks for the info about the sexes! I had heard that females can be same sex aggressive, but I didn't know that males weren't as bad. At wolf run, we keep the wolfdogs in groups of 3 or so. 4 being the largest group, and I'm pretty sure there aren't many "packs" that have more than one female (the group of 4 had two low content females).
As I said before, I'd be perfectly happy with either sex, I just lean slightly toward females.

Here are pictures of where the enclosure will go.
The first is the view from the back door, you can see the hill, and how it flattens out at the top.
If you look for her, you can see my cat that followed me up the hill in the second picture.
I still need to find my tape measure! I think it sprouted legs and walked away. :wall:

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Beautiful! Aw, I miss the midwest so much... I'm going to have to plant a lot of trees so it feels like home out here in Utah.

It'll be a perfect place for an enclosure. I am just sure it'll be fantastic. Are you going to include any of the trees in the enclosure at all? Either way, it'll be a beautiful enclosure, I can already tell.

I'm just so excited for you! I love reading about people who come on here with hopes to own a certain kind of animal, and then it's so great to see it become a reality. It's like an inspirational success story.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:08 pm

I feel like it would just be kind of wrong to cut all the trees down, so I'm going to leave as many as I can. It's so pretty with them.

Someone told me today that I need a permit to own a HC in the state of KY. Nothing I've read has said anything of the sort. They're not native, so they're not covered under captive wildlife, and they're not listed under the prohibited exotic animals. I suspect she was just trying to discourage me, but still, I'd like to cover all my bases.
Anyone ever hear of it being legal to own low and mid contents without a permit, but need one for high content, even in an area where wolves aren't native? It sounds bogus to me.. especially since I can't find the law anywhere, but I might have just overlooked it. :shrug:
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Here's a link to what they might be talking about
http://www.thedarkforestgroup.com/files ... ations.pdf
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh! Thank you!
Now to find which permits I need. Why does KY have to ALWAYS be so complicated? Dear god. Maybe I should just get my USDA exhibitor license.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:46 am

Wow Sara, this sounds so exciting! I can't wait to see your puppy when you finally get her.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 am

I got an e-mail from Jeff offering me one of his pups from this year's litter. I was SO sad to have to turn down that offer.
I wish I had everything ready now. :cry: I've been stalking his facebook to see new pictures and drooling over them. I want I want I want!

I have to be practical though and make sure I have my enclosure and permits in order first. *sigh*

Just look how beautiful!
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:49 pm

They're so pretty, i'm sorry you had to turn them down but things just don't turn out sometimes.
Never the less, can't wait till everythings ready and to see yours. :]
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”