https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Those baby blues...

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

amsterdam.vallon

Those baby blues...

Postby amsterdam.vallon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am

Hello everyone,

My husband and I adopted our Siberian, "Amsterdam" from a shelter about 5 months ago. Neither of us have owned a Siberian before and so we were surprised when the folks at our local doggy daycare asked us if he was a hybrid due to his coat and behavior. Because of his blue eyes, I automatically assumed that either he would be a low to no content wolf but his behavior is a little, well... Independent. He loves people and gets along well with other dogs but he is in no way really loyal to any human. He's definitely not one for snuggling, not much of a talker, LOVES his toys and space. He plays hard: body checks, mouthier grabbing, etc. He's also as sharp as a tack and can pick up on basic obedience training after the second try. However, it's obviously up to his mood whether or not he listens which means off leash will probably never be a reality. There really hasn't been anything else for me to suggest that he's wild other than his eccentric behavior but I always thought that was just your run of the mill Siberian... Anyway, I would run it by this forum as it seems you all have had more experience with hybrids and Siberians.
Here are some pictures of my crazy guy!

:thank:
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Those baby blues...

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:14 am

I don't see any wolf in him. A lot of you're sibes can have some wolf type behaviors it does not mean there is any wolf in them. He's very pretty by the way.
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 am

I agree with Cindy. He sounds like a typical Sibe. Absolutely gorgeous dog and awesome that you guys rescued him!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
NoirIKnight

Postby NoirIKnight » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Beautiful dog! Looks and sounds like a siberian to me. Perhaps you should research rehoming a sled dog.
amsterdam.vallon

Postby amsterdam.vallon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:I don't see any wolf in him. A lot of you're sibes can have some wolf type behaviors it does not mean there is any wolf in them. He's very pretty by the way.

Thank you!

Talys wrote:I agree with Cindy. He sounds like a typical Sibe. Absolutely gorgeous dog and awesome that you guys rescued him!

Thanks - He's quite the photogenic little fluffball, isn't he? Love my guy. Apparently he was a stray and somehow traveled from the next town over. He was microchipped so the shelter tried calling his owner during a 10 day quarantine period but no one called back. How sad is that? I'm almost positive some of his behavioral traits were acquired during this time... It must have been so traumatic! Anyway, we just happened to be there on his first available day of adoption and I fell in love with that goofy "smile" of his.

NoirIKnight wrote:Beautiful dog! Looks and sounds like a siberian to me. Perhaps you should research rehoming a sled dog.

Oh no, he's our little buddy for life. I didn't mean to come off as sounding frustrated by his quirks, that's what we love about him! He's almost turned a 180 since we adopted him and my husband and I honestly can't imagine life without him.

Thank you all for your feedback!
NoirIKnight

Postby NoirIKnight » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Lol, No I wasn't suggesting you re home him, I was suggesting you research ppl who have had similar situations as yourself because they re homed a former sled dog.
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks - He's quite the photogenic little fluffball, isn't he? Love my guy. Apparently he was a stray and somehow traveled from the next town over. He was microchipped so the shelter tried calling his owner during a 10 day quarantine period but no one called back. How sad is that? I'm almost positive some of his behavioral traits were acquired during this time... It must have been so traumatic! Anyway, we just happened to be there on his first available day of adoption and I fell in love with that goofy "smile" of his.

NoirIKnight wrote:
Beautiful dog! Looks and sounds like a siberian to me. Perhaps you should research rehoming a sled dog.

Oh no, he's our little buddy for life. I didn't mean to come off as sounding frustrated by his quirks, that's what we love about him! He's almost turned a 180 since we adopted him and my husband and I honestly can't imagine life without him.

That's really sad no one called back, but lucky for him that he found you two! I can just imagine he got out and started running.

Are you thinking about doing any activities with him, like bikejoring, hiking, sledding, or anything like that?
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:08 pm

What gorgeous eyes!
I plan to start bikejoring with my Echo. He's currently learning the commands, and that it's okay to be pulling something (not to be scared of something behind him). It's a slow process, but it's great exercise! It's something to think about doing with your baby. Echo's harness wasn't expensive at all.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Looks like just a dog to me. Unfortunately people are all too eager to "cry wolf" on Northern breeds...

He has beautiful eyes. I hope he has a long, happy life with you :)
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
amsterdam.vallon

Postby amsterdam.vallon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 am

NoirIKnight wrote:Lol, No I wasn't suggesting you re home him, I was suggesting you research ppl who have had similar situations as yourself because they re homed a former sled dog.

Oh my gosh! :lol: I will do that, thank you!

Talys wrote:That's really sad no one called back, but lucky for him that he found you two! I can just imagine he got out and started running. Are you thinking about doing any activities with him, like bikejoring, hiking, sledding, or anything like that?

I know, my poor baby! :icon-frown: My husband and I are a very active couple which was a big deciding factor when we adopted our guy. I work from home and the hubby is in the military so between the two of us Amsterdam gets a little under 10 miles of walking/running a day if he's not socializing at doggy daycare. On the weekends we usually find a dog friendly place for us to adventure out to. And, no, we haven't taken him sledding yet, but in the winter there's a husky sledding club that meets at a nearby peak. It's gonna be our first winter together as a family so we're pretty excited to take him up there and see his reaction.

sarajeku wrote:What gorgeous eyes!
I plan to start bikejoring with my Echo. He's currently learning the commands, and that it's okay to be pulling something (not to be scared of something behind him). It's a slow process, but it's great exercise! It's something to think about doing with your baby. Echo's harness wasn't expensive at all.

Awww! Echo is beautiful! Amsterdam is about a year and a half and doesn't appear to have had much commands or obedience training but he's getting there! I tried biking with him once and it didn't go very well, :shock: . Lots of criss crossing in front of the bike which resulted in bruised knees and owchie paws. We have a harness designed to discourage pulling while walking/running and it's wonderful. I couldn't imagine walking him without it!

Juska wrote:Looks like just a dog to me. Unfortunately people are all too eager to "cry wolf" on Northern breeds...

He has beautiful eyes. I hope he has a long, happy life with you :)

I'm honestly relieved to have some feedback on the matter. Hybrids are illegal to own where we're from. Like I had mentioned, a few of our friends and some of the folks at his daycare mentioned he looked like he had some wolf in him... We have never owned a Siberian or known anyone who had so we thought maybe they knew something we didn't.
And thank you, we hope so too. He's brought us so much joy!

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”