PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Meet Nashoba!

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TartokTikaani94

Meet Nashoba!

Postby TartokTikaani94 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

This is my dog Nashoba. When we got her we were told she was a husky mix that looked like a wolf and so her vet papers say husky mix. After a few weeks the lady ended up saying how the parents are Mom: Husky/Arctic wolf, Dad:Timber wolf. And so I got sent the link from which she got her from. If I can find the pics of the parents I'll for sure post them, I also had some newborn pics of her from the lady but I can't find them either (Stupid email!) >:l In the newborn pics she sent, Nash was all brown like these pups and the white came in weeks later Image
Winter coat
Summer coat
Summer coat

I'll be sure to post allot more pics as soon as my camera is charged up. These are this years pics.
Tama Tala sled dogs.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Meet Nashoba!

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am

Very pretty girl, but not seeing much wolf at all in her. If there is any its very little
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm

She's gorgeous, and definitely something special. I love her markings! Especially the white on her brows--it's very cute and pretty.

You mentioned a little about her hyper temperament, but what's her personality? Is she sweet, take orders well, nippy? Any cute stories to share about her?

She's a beautiful gal though. ;) Like I said, I love the markings. I would love for her and Sarajeku's Echo to meet up and see them play together!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Arctic wolfdogs are pretty rare. There are only a few very well documented breeders that have true arctic wolfdogs, so it's very unlikely that she actually has arctic in her.
Most likely, she has white shepherd or white husky, that someone at some point called an arctic wolf, in her. I'm by no means calling you a liar. It just means that your breeder may have been misinformed.

She's absolutely gorgeous! :mrgreen:
TartokTikaani94

Postby TartokTikaani94 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:27 am

Shes so posed to be a LC I think, When I seen the pics of the parents the dad looked like a full timber but the mom was mostly white with lite gray markings, only looked like a reg husky to me but the breeder told me otherwise. I got her from a lady who didn't know how to care for northern breed dogs and had her tied up outside at 13 weeks old! From the way Nash acted it seems like the lady beat her or something but she did say she had a huge Great Dane that attacked her. About her temperament, shes very shy, likes to be left alone and will come to you when she wants love. Shes very very standoffish when it comes to strangers unless they have a dog. She tries to nip at my step dad when hes not looking at her, this has been going on for about a year now. I take her to the dog park, shes scared to death at first but after like 5-10 minutes she calms down and will play with the other dogs. Gtg for now, will add more later.
Tama Tala sled dogs.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Since this the other thread is in under foxes, I figured I'd answer your question under here (and post more pictures of Echo for you).
Echo's background, past his grandparents, is unknown. His father is a lower mid, and his mother very very low content (basically just a dog). He does have gray wolf in his background though. That much was obvious, when meeting his parents and grandparents. Especially on his father's side. His mother had white shepherd in her.
I worked at a rescue at the time (the one he came from) and we rescued him from a homeless woman that was hoarding 13 dogs in a van. Echo was one of 8 puppies that came into the rescue at 6 weeks old-- I began fostering him 2 days after he arrived due to the weather, and adopted him within the week.

Echo was very skittish at first. He was food aggressive and wanted to eat my cats and sugar gliders. I worked non-stop with him to work out his issues. I worked on his socialization and training so that he wouldn't be scared of people, or food aggressive, or kill my other animals. I still take him everywhere I go, just like I did when he was little. I hand fed his meals to him so that he understood that my hands were where his meals were coming from.

Now that he's older, he's very very sweet. He adores attention from everyone. He gets visibly upset when he doesn't get petted. Although, he doesn't like having his tail and ears pulled, or his eyes poked, etc. He is absolutely terrified of my 2 year old nephew (and other toddlers). When I pet him, he pushes his face into my hand like a cat.
Here's a video of him giving me my morning kisses. He holds my hand down and licks it until he's satisfied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6yGZwagiN0

TartokTikaani94

Postby TartokTikaani94 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 am

And I'm back! Lol. I used to take me dog with me everywhere we went. The only problem (other then chewing the jeeps back seats to shreds which we have learned to deal with) is she will pee and poo in the back if I'm not sitting with her -.- I've tried giving her toys or a chew, not feeding hours before we leave, taking her out every time we stop, she still dose it. We now have a Dodge Durango cause we got in a car crash (long story) and totaled the Jeep, Every time we take her out now (sadly not enough as I would like) I have to sit in the back seat with the dog. Anyone have this problem? I'm also seeing food aggression when anyone but me handles her food. If anyone but me tries to grab her collar she will growl. Also I can discipline her but I'm seeing if anyone else tries to, she starts growling and her back fur stands up and shows her teeth. I have worked very hard to build a strong bond with her in the past 2 1/2 years, sadly the rest of my family has not. Cause of this I don't think she trust anyone else nor dose anyone else trust her. My mom keeps saying how she can look in a dogs eyes and read them and she says she can't do it with this dog so she don't trust her >.> Having her dose put allot of stress on me seeing how I'm the only one keeping her in this house but I love her to death and shes my baby girl :) I'm not really sure what you would call her personality, with me shes a playful angle, but when it comes to most other folk, I guess shy, nippy, and standoffish?
Tama Tala sled dogs.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:16 am

Sounds like she thinks you're in charge, and everyone else is her subordinate. Maybe teach them how to interact with her so that she understands she's lowest on the totem pole in your house; otherwise, she might keep up the "bad" behavior around them.

Sounds like the poor girl came from a rough situation... Poor little thing... I'm so glad you could get her out of those conditions and take care of her appropriately! That woman obviously knew nothing about raising animals. It sounds like she has made many positive changes since coming to you though, so that's a great thing. And it sounds like the two of you are quite bonded.

Hmmm.... I don't know why she messes in the backseat if you aren't back there with her... Is she spayed? I don't know too much about dogs, but I know that foxes will mess in "new" places to mark their territory--though spaying/neutering a fox doesn't stop this behavior, whereas in dogs, it might. Wonder if anyone else with the same problem would chime in. I imagine that's a pain in the neck to deal with. :roll: Maybe since you have a durango now, and they're bigger, you could keep her crated during travel time? Being confined in a crate when on the road would make her hold it in better. Other than being in the car, I can't remember if you said or not, but is she pretty good in the house? Or does she still have her accidents?

Thanks for replying. She's a beautiful animal and I love hearing about others' experiences.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:26 am

Sarajeku's looks like the gray color, and Nashoba looks like the sable color or "wolf gray" color according to this website I posted. These are pure huskies in the pictures though, so know that any discrepancies are probably because of the other dog and wolf genes in them. I was wondering about Echo's coloring, and then came across this website which I thought I'd share.

http://www.huskycolors.com/rescue.html
TartokTikaani94

Postby TartokTikaani94 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:51 am

She dose good in our house as long as I watch her and take her out as soon as she goes to the door. She dose mark though. When I take her to my grandparents place, if shes not on a lead she will mark. I can let her be on the enclosed porch and shes fine (wont mark) its only when I take her in the house we have problems lol. Shes not spayed. We have tried threw out the year to work with me step dad with the dog and its just hopeless with him. He wont listen, he hates her/mine guts, pretty much he wants to be babied and feels he shouldn't have to do it. Thanks to him I now have anxiety problems, constant worry, heart palps, all that wonderful stuff >.< ! Off topic sorry... anyway, I don't have a cage big enough for her but small enough to fit in the back of the car, that's why I just sit on the back seat with her. The rest of the family I think tries to work with her but moms scared of her and is very hard headed so its hard to get her to listen, my little sister don't like dogs at all, and my baby brother is 7, so yeah.
Tama Tala sled dogs.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:39 am

My collie is sort of like that with car rides. She starts getting car sick before the car even starts to move. Vomiting, peeing on herself, shaking... she's pitiful. I try not to take her anywhere unless I have to because she just gets so scared in the car.
I don't know if I got lucky with Echo, or if it's because I started him so early with getting him used to being in the car all the time. He's very very good. If I HAVE to (I try not to) leave him in the car -- for example, to run into a restaurant and get food for Echo and myself -- he will just sit politely in the driver's seat and watch out the windows until I come back. He won't potty anywhere except home, so I have to keep trips to a few hours because he will NOT go potty. Anywhere. I took him to a friend's house overnight and he refused to potty until the next morning. I worried about him all night long and took him out like every 2 hours. But he was just stubborn.

TartokTikaani94, I completely understand about your step dad... my dad hates Echo. He has threatened to kill him on more than one occasion. He's totally convinced that Echo is dangerous and will turn on us. :roll: There's just no reasoning with him.
If you ever need to talk, I'm happy to listen.

Ash, your guess is spot on. Echo is definitely "gray." He was a creamy, golden color as a puppy and he turned gray as he got older.

This one kind of shows the creamy undertones described on that webpage.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:29 am

A spay might help then in that case. I know it sure got our shih-tzu to settle down at least--no more marking (he marked wherever he smelled my red fox :roll: ) and less of his... erm... hugging your arm. Maybe see what you can do about getting her spayed, though I understand your predicament must be very frustrating. It may help a lot though.

Sarajeku--I was surprised how much Echo looked like the "gray" ones. I want to go back and look at the pics of his parents to see what they looked like. I really like his color a lot, and that got me wondering.
TartokTikaani94

Postby TartokTikaani94 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 pm

It may help with the marking but I been told it could also change her mood and back fire? Like get nasty and grumpy and mean. Also I was told she wouldn't run like she dose now.. that is a bad thing considering I plan on entering races this year... maybe I just been getting the wrong info, if anyone knows any about this please don't hold back, I'm open for the advise.
Tama Tala sled dogs.
TartokTikaani94

Postby TartokTikaani94 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Oh, sarajeku- so happy to know I'm not the only one going thew this with the dad. If only they could understand and stop being so hard headed! Mines got his mom and brother so scared of her going to ''attack'' we are no longer welcome there for thanksgiving! Last year my uncle was playing with my baby bro, Nash jumped up and put her paws on his hip to smell his face and he jumped back screaming the dog was trying to take his side out! They live out there in the country in Rochester, NY and whenever he sees a wild wolf or coyote he just shoots the poor thing and kills it! Maybe that's why its so hard for them to understand this ones a pet. Anyway it really sucks for me, I can't stand living in DE and 3 days a year in NY was heaven. Guess I can kiss my sanity goodbye now till I move out on my own... lol. Echo sure is a handsome boy. How old is he?
Tama Tala sled dogs.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 pm

I got Echo neutered and it just made him more friendly. He's still a wild man, so there's definitely no need to worry about her not wanting to run. That's what they do. Run run run run run run run run run. I don't think Echo knows how to walk. He only runs. Then he crashes and sleeps for a few hours until he's ready to run some more. Echo is 14 months old. He's still a big baby. :mrgreen:

I live in the backwoods of KY, so I worry that if Echo escapes, someone will mistake him for a coyote and kill him. People shoot and kill coyotes here too, but we don't have wolves. I mentioned this in another thread a long time ago. But when he was about 7 months old, a police officer mistook Echo for a coyote and tried to confiscate him for being an illegal pet. He said it was because of his big ears and coat color (I've never seen a silver-gray coyote). :roll:

Ash, I believe there are pictures of his parents early in the "Echo photos here" thread. I know there is at least one good one of his mother. His father, the one of him doesn't do him justice AT ALL.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”