PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Considering a low or mid content

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Takoda

Considering a low or mid content

Postby Takoda » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Hello everyone. I am new around here and considering a wolfdog. Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I want a lower-mid or low content because most people I know prefer high contents. I'd be telling a huge lie and very much buying out impulse if I said I wanted a an upper mid to high content wolfdog. I'm definitely not ready for one of those and to be quite honest, it'll be years before I even seriously think about owning one if ever at all.

In short, I'm considering a low to lower mid content. I was originally wanting something more wolfy looking than a husky. I looked into Tamaskans but since they're pretty new, they're going for quite a lot and I refuse to pay $2000 for a dog alone. I've seen plenty of low contents with the "wolfy" look I'm looking for. This is a great example of the wolfy look I adore. It's a low content that was adopted from a wolf rescue in Canada.

Since this will be my first wolfdog, I feel more comfortable starting with a pup but once I have more experience with them, I'm all for rescuing. I'd really like to know what exactly am I getting into. I do hear low contents are generally recommended for first time wolfdog owners because they're easier to train, friendlier, and not as shy and they take to living indoors better but I want to make sure I am well informed before I bring one home. I'm not in a rush and I'm very picky about who I get one from. I don't plan on getting one until late next year and I'd really like learn more about low and mid contents as well as see pictures of other members low/mids. Any other info is greatly appreciated. I'm getting Wolfdogs A-Z and Living With Wolfdogs by Nicole Wilde to read more about them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Considering a low or mid content

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :) It's great to have another canine lover. We have several wolfdog owners on here--some who have low contents, and one person who has a mid and two highs.

I'm glad you're doing all of the proper research prior to bringing your pup home. It sounds like you're really committed to making sure you'll be the best owner possible.

I'm glad you're not one of the many people we get on here interested in owning a wolfdog without any knowledge about them! There are lots of people who come on who think they have 98% wolfdogs, but they actually have low/no content dogs and they get all offended when we tell them that. It's refreshing to see another person join who doesn't look at the picture you posted and say "look at this wolf."

I know that Sarajeku is wanting to get another lower content wolfdog next year (I think?) so maybe she can tell you about the breeder she's chosen.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 am

Hi Takoda, what state do you live in.
I have all contents, this is my low boy Max that we rescued. And not everyone prefers highs, if I was to ask my family I'm positive out of all my animals they would say they like Max the best as they're able to do a lot more with him compared to the highs.

Lowes can have they're own little quirks also, for ex. Max used to get really bad separation anxiety. I'm not sure what happened in his passed life, he was a adult when he came to live with us estimated to be between 2 and 4 and has been with us about 8 years now. Its only been until recently, within the last year that he's gotten over the separation anxiety and finally figured out that when we leave that we aren't leaving him forever and are going to come back.
With lows you're still more then likely going to need good high fencing with possible dig guards as you're northern breeds (huskies and mals) are great escape artist too.
Takoda

Postby Takoda » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for the welcoming guys :)

Yes, I definitely want to make sure I'm making the right decision but I do believe a low content or lower mid will be better for me right now.

I live in Dayton, Ohio. I know of one really great wolfdog breeder here that goes by the name Winddancer Wolves. I've heard nothing but great things about her wolfdogs. She breeds high contents though and as beautiful as they are, I know I'm not ready for a high content with their larger containment needs and more specialized care.

Your low content is beautiful! Definitely has that look I love in some low contents. I've heard a few stories of lows being destructive or having separation anxiety but I'm familiar with these problems already :) I grew up with Chinese Shar Pei, which are surprisingly a northern breed like huskies . I have one right now that has to be crated when I have to leave the house. Even with having plenty of toys and bones to chew on, if he gets bored, he'll trash the place. He'll also cry and cry when I leave. He's a social dog and I believe he just needs another canine friend. He has great manners and is quite obedient for a Shar Pei which are extremely stubborn. :wall: :lol:
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Cindy is right, lows do have their quirks. Echo can't be left indoors alone. He can only have supervised time inside. He has an enclosure for when I have to leave to go run errands, etc. He is closer to a no content than low... waaaay on the low end of the spectrum. He does sleep inside with me, but it took almost a year to get him on a good schedule. He used to get up at 2am, like clockwork, to play (although, that's more of a normal puppy thing than a WD thing). He gets a 2-3 mile hike every morning to keep him from eating the house. When he's bored, he chews on the walls.

I am planning to get a mid content from Beth Long of Full of Heart Kennels, in spring of 2015. She also breeds really great lows.

This is my boy, Echo.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”