Coydogs

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Coydogs

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:04 pm

I know several breeders and owners in Texas. There is no permit system set up for the state of texas overall. However each county or city may have different rules in places.

Here is the state law
"Texas

Under Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, Section 63.102, "No person may possess, transport, receive or release a live wolf in this state." Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 62, Subchapter F prohibits a person from killing or attempting to injure a dangerous wild animal, including wolves or wolf hybrids, that are held in captivity or released from captivity for the purpose of being killed. It is also a violation to conduct, promote, assist or advertise a "canned hunt."

Wolf Hybrids are not regulated at the state level; however, some counties and municipalities have local regulations regarding these animals."
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 pm

@Cindy
Hmmm. Seems you are right. I got confused with another law that TamanduaGirl posted in the state laws topic. It seems that particular law doesn't mention wolves though, only coyotes and jackals. I remembered wrong. That's my bad.

Summary of Law: No person may possess a dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a license (certificate of registration). Dangerous wild animals are defined as "Dangerous wild animal" means: a lion; a tiger; an ocelot; a cougar; a leopard; a cheetah; a jaguar; a bobcat; a lynx; a serval; a caracal; a hyena; a bear; a coyote; a jackal; a baboon; a chimpanzee; an orangutan; a gorilla; or any hybrid of an animal listed in this subdivision.. However, there are no requirements for a person possessing all other exotic animals not listed above, such as monkeys, etc.

So, it looks like wolves are not covered by this, but coyotes and jackals are. However, this law is not saying it bans them (coyotes and jackals I mean), just that you need a permit for them, right? I see it also does mention hybrids between coyotes and jackals as well.

It turns out I was also wrong about coyotes being banned under the fur-bearing law, but they are banned under some other law, maybe a rabies specific law. I know I looked it up in the past and found a law to the effect that coyotes couldn't be bred, transported, or sold within the state nor can the be imported into the state.

Edit: I apparently found it in this old post of mine:
Coyotes are unfortunately banned here. Under the fur-bearing law, it says "No live coyote may be transported,imported, bred, or sold with-in the state" or something like that. So, although ownership is not illegal,every way you could get one i.e. buying one in Texas or importing from another state and then bringing it into Texas, is unfortunately illegal. The law only mentions "coyote",not "coydog" or "coyote hybrid",so unless I'm over-looking something, it may be possible to get a coydog imported from another state,much like how high content wolfdog can be used to get around laws that only specially ban "wolves" and not "hybrids".
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:16 am

Yea, says you need a license for those two. Wonder what you have to do to get the license there? And the one you posted didn't include wolves, but the one I found says you cant have wolves. So thinking you might not be able to get a wolf even with a license, by the way everythings worded.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Oh, yeah, definitely the law you posted says no pure wolves, but wolf "hybrids" (even though I know wolves and dogs are techincally not hybrids since they are the same species, but probably best not to let the government known that lest we lose the one loophole we have :/) are legal. It says no keeping of live wolves in captivity, but the part about hybrids just says that you are not allowed to possess them for the purpose of injuring or causing harm to them, not that you can't have them at all. So, I would think, the way that law is worded, that that means you can have a wolfdog of any content, including high, as long as you could prove that it wasn't a pure wolf.

As for going to back to coyotes/coydogs/coyote hybrids, I found the other laws that cover coyotes besides the dangerous animals law posted above:

Rabies Quarantine
It is a Class C misdemeanor to transport, sell, or possess for the purpose of transporting or selling live foxes,
coyotes, and raccoons to a person in another state or country or to a person within this state. For additional
information contact the Zoonosis Control Division of the Texas Department of Health at (512) 458-7255 or
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/

Can I still sell nongame species that are not on the white list?
Bobcats, mountain lions, and rabbits may be taken and sold without a permit; however, a hunting license is required. Live coyotes are currently under a statewide rabies quarantine imposed by the Texas Department of Health that prohibits them from being transported or sold in Texas. If coyotes are attacking or about to attack domestic animals or fowl, they may be taken without a hunting license.

I've read these laws several times and I see no mention in them about coyote hybrids, coydogs, coyote-dog-mixes, or any other such terms. So, I'm wondering if this means there is a loophole for coydogs as well, perhaps even high content coydogs, as long as I can prove the animal is part dog, which given that coyotes and dogs are actually different species and have different DNA, getting a DNA test, should be able to prove. On the other hand, people could claim pure coyote even if not, so maybe a midcontent or low content coyote mix that has more visibly doggy traits would be better. However, the only coydog breeder I know of that actually bred by contents was Sundance Ranch and they stopped breeding. Now, I only know of that lady who breeds her border collie to a coydog mix and the puppies don't look very coyote-like, but I guess in way, that would actually be good, since then nobody could claim pure coyote since the animal would have markings like a border-collie.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:50 pm

I would assume from those laws that you could have coydogs.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:17 am

But this part you posted does point them out beings it says coyote in it then says or any hybrid of an animal listed in this subdivision. So that would be saying coydogs are illegal right?

Summary of Law: No person may possess a dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a license (certificate of registration). Dangerous wild animals are defined as "Dangerous wild animal" means: a lion; a tiger; an ocelot; a cougar; a leopard; a cheetah; a jaguar; a bobcat; a lynx; a serval; a caracal; a hyena; a bear; a coyote; a jackal; a baboon; a chimpanzee; an orangutan; a gorilla; or any hybrid of an animal listed in this subdivision.. However, there are no requirements for a person possessing all other exotic animals not listed above, such as monkeys, etc.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Just says a license is needed but calls the license a certificate of registration, so is probably fairly easy to get.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:24 pm

@Cindy:
As TG said, it just says that you may not own the animals without first having a permit/license. So, as long as you have the license, you can have them. ( Except for pure coyotes since they are banned under the seperate rabies law.) However, the rabies laws say nothing about coydogs, coyote mixes, coyote hybrids,etc.

Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Oh ok. I must of been reading to fast and just skimming ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:29 am

A certificate of registration is what licenses are called over in the west, lol. In Utah we call it a "COR" as an abbreviation. That's what I had to get for Fable. It's nice that it's an option though as opposed to a flat-out ban.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Exoticsanimalsforsale.net, has two sets of coydogs listed right now. One listing is like two months old though, so may not be available anymore.

https://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/sa ... g-Pups.asp

^
This is the two month old add. The pup looks legit and he says the breed was identified by a vet.

Below is the more recent add of the two, but I'm not sure on this add if the animals pictured actually have any coyote in them or not. If they do, its probably low-contents.
https://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/sa ... d-pups.asp

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”