ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Crying or wheezing?

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Crying or wheezing?

Postby Alynn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 am

This video has been popping up in my newsfeed on Facebook and Tumblr, and when I actually watched this video of this wolf-dog 'crying', I was a bit skeptical.

Video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQ_-yJrL_Y

now, I'm not about to deny that animals grieve - I've seen them grieve, but generally when I've seen it it's an animal becoming lethargic and refusing to eat, laying around, etc. Or, they tend to cry and call and whine, at least what I've seen of dogs and cats. I've never seen a dog 'sob', and I'm wondering if what we see in the video is actually grief, or if it's just a dog wheezing, which it looks more like to me with the way his chest is heaving.

Thoughts?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crying or wheezing?

Postby pat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 am

Alynn,

yep, that is a tough one to know. either way, they should take him to the vets.
odd though, that he was laying on the grave stone.

some dogs seem to sense and understand when their owner or someone they liked passed away.
wonder if he was just so upset, that he was stressed. stress can affect animals and people in different ways.

one of my dogs went into a very deep depression for 5 months when another dog died.
she never went outside, except to go to the bathroom and would lay over his grave for hours.
I took her to the vets because of such a dramatic change. vet gave her a vit b12 shot and told me
she is very depressed.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Honestly I'm not sure but lean towards health problem though an attack of whatever it is could have been brought on by the upset or stress.

It doesn't appear to be the usuals that I have dealt with like, reverse sneeze, kennel cough, allergies, collapsing trachea(not dealt with it personally but researched since it s common in chihuahuas), congestive heart failure(more of a hacking cough).

Most closely resembles the reverse sneezing though that's mostly a small dog thing.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I've never seen a dog act that way, so I don't know. It looks like a health problem to me, but I really don't know. It just looks like it's struggling. While it is definitely true that dogs can grieve, I don't know if they grieve like that dog does.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Most closely resembles the reverse sneezing though that's mostly a small dog thing.

My golden retriever reverse sneezed pretty often within the year or so before she passed away at 13 years old. icon_confused.gif I didn't know it was more common in small dogs.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:27 pm

sarajeku wrote:My golden retriever reverse sneezed pretty often within the year or so before she passed away at 13 years old. icon_confused.gif I didn't know it was more common in small dogs.

Yeah it's really common for them. Every dog I've had has been a chihuahua mix and they all have done it, most of them do, and lots of other small breeds as well. The prevailing though is that their heads are too small for everything and their soft pallet sticks to the throat causing irritation and for them to suck in.

Quasi would get it just from getting too excited. Would happen to him often when we came home from being out a long time. Hyzzie rarely gets it but she's pretty big and seems allergy triggered when she does get it she's more likely to cough now though instead. Beaker's is the worst I've ever seen. He scares me when he does it. His chest collapses and he looks like he's going to die. It hasn't been very often and seems it may be allergy triggered as well(happened when he ran through some weeds and when a guy was digging and he sniffed in the direction of the dust) so if it happens more he could get on benadryl or something.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 am

That dog should go to the vet...

It reminds me of when Bae had the K9 flu super bad. *shudder* I cringe when I hear a dog breathing like that. There is also coughing and vomiting associated with K9 influenza. The wacky breathing and coughing get worse when the dog gets excited or upset.
~RabbleFox

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”