please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Adopting a wolfdog

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

rb3

Adopting a wolfdog

Postby rb3 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Hello everyone,

My family is looking to adopt a wolfdog. I have looked all over trying to find information on how people have successfully integrated an adopted wolfdog into their family. We are coming from Siberian Huskies and have read several books on wolfdog's. We will most likely end up with a high mid or a low. The one I am talking to a rescue about is an upper mid that has been outside for most of his life. He is well behaved indoors and we are hoping to slowly integrate him into being indoors.

Thanks for any advice,
Juska

Re: Adopting a wolfdog

Postby Juska » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm not an expert, and I'm not going to go on a tangent about it, but there's a 99% chance you're not going to be able to keep your future wolfdog indoors with you 24/7 if you value your home or anything in it. Especially if it's been outside its whole life and is anything more than a low/no content.

You'll get much more informed responses I'm sure, but I wanted to point out that keeping a wolfdog in your home probably won't happen, and because of that you should probably look into building an outdoor enclosure, which can be a deal-breaker for people wanting an exotic.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am

The higher the content, the less likely you will be able to keep it indoors. I have an amazing low content, and I can't keep him indoors 24/7, even though he likes being inside. He needs time to run and play and romp out in the yard or he gets restless and destructive. We go on 2(ish) mile hikes every morning and that still isn't an adequate amount of exercise for him. I'm told he's an oddball, since he enjoys being indoors and lounging around.
I REALLY recommend starting with a low content. They will pose plenty of challenges to you. Upper mids are a HUGE responsibility and, in general, they do not act like dogs.

Do you mind if I ask which books you've read? I'm always interested in new books about wolfdogs.

This is my boy.
rb3

Postby rb3 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Well we got him and he is adjusting well to the kids and wife. He is very timid around me but we walk an hour or so a night. He was an outdoor dog and we are transitioning him to indoors. So far so good. Only a couple of accidents.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”