PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I need resources!

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Violet

I need resources!

Postby Violet » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:03 pm

I've finally decided to purchase a wolf dog hybrid. I'll be doing this a few years down the road, but want to begin reading up on everything I need to know before hand. Does anyone have any information/personal experience and knowledge you'd like to impart? I'm not wholly unfamiliar with the hybrids. My grandfather had a few pure wolves, hybrids and coydogs when I was younger. They, the hybrids I mean, were amazing and so beautifully intelligent. I truly miss that connection I had with them growing up. I'm sure by now, the care of them has probably been updated quite a bit. New information regarding handling, temperament, health and a slew of other information available.

I prefer though, first hand accounts and experiences. Please, if you would, share your own personal experiences with your own hybrids. I'm an open book and this is not something I want to jump into unprepared and uninformed.

For example, are there any really discernible differences between high content and mid content in terms of temperament and behavior?
What about health wise?
How much is a generally acceptable amount to pay for a high content hybrid?
How do you spot someone scamming you about the amount of wolf content in the pup itself?
Is a raw diet better than kibble (Like Taste of the Wild)?
When building an enclosure, what safety measures should be implemented to keep the critter confined and jerk humans out?
How likely are they to trash my house, when they get to come inside? My fox already has it out for my rugs, crayons, and underwear. Would the dog possibly be of similar mindset? I don't honestly mind it. I keep my possessions to a minimum, so replacing them is no issue.
Are they generally healthier than your run of the mill domesticated dog? What health issues have you encountered personally with yours?

So many questions lol. Better to learn them now, than later. If you got this far in reading, thanks! I look forward to anything you all can teach me.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: I need resources!

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes there can be a big difference in high contents and mid contents. A high content is basically going to act exactly like a pure wolf. It is not going to be a animal that can be kept as a house pet. You will need to build a enclosure that is not made out of you're normal fencing materials that you would see in a regular back yard. Another words, no privacy wood fences or normal chain link. You will need a much stronger gauge fencing. It will also have to be at least 8 ft. tall if not taller with possible hot wire. And dig guards.
Mid contents can go either way they may not be able to be kept as house pets either and may need a serious enclosure too. But maybe not, if they picked up more doggie genes.
Also if you're not going to get the animal altered you may encounter some seasonal aggression, come around Jan. they could get it and then you might not be able to touch the animal or go in the enclosure with them, or you could run the chance of getting bit. You might want to read up on this.
Pricing of highs normally run around $1,500 to $3,000 if you live in the US. I've seen them as high as $5,000 if they are being shipped to other countries from the US.
There is a lot of websites to read on not getting ripped off. A few signs would be. If a puppy is born any other time then spring, then it is not a high content. Highs do not breed threw out the year. They only have one heat cycle a year. Even the males do not breed out of season. But dogs can have puppies in the spring too so that doesn't mean its a high content wolfdog if born then. Highs will not have pink pads, white nails (unless they're arctic and they are not white but taupe), they will not be born white, even pups that will end up white are born dark. They will not be born with mask or white stockings etc. No curled tails, or white tipped tails. They will not have big ears with pink showing in them.

Here is a picture of my male, as you see he was born really dark and lightened. This is him at 10 days old and at 8 years old

My girl at 4 weeks and at 6 years.

Also eye color, highs will not have blue eyes like huskies after a few months old. They will start blue then turn. This is Loki at 4 weeks when his eyes are blue, 8 weeks they turned green and 6 months they are yellow.

Here's a good close up of ears and how they should be well furred and not seeing pink inside

Raw is better however you can feed both. As long as there is no corn, soy or wheat in the kibble. Highs can not handle it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:48 am

Cindy and this site will be your best friends when it comes to wolfdogs:

http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/

It also shows how to phenotype your animal--which is very useful these days since the majority of breeders and owners have no clue that their "high content" is a pure domestic doggie, or is a low/no content. You have to make sure you buy from a reputable breeder when you are ready.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Violet

Postby Violet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:15 am

My goodness, your babies are beautiful! Thank you for providing photos that demonstrate how the coat color changes. I prefer the wolfish look, but more of the dog personality. So mid to low grade is my best bet then. I'll definitely have the animal altered. I was looking over breeders, and they mention that the puppies they sell have been bred from stock that is proven to be seizure free. Does that mean that wolf dogs are more prone to seizures? Or is it just a precaution to ensure and prove that the pups are healthy?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Wolfdogs wouldn't have any more medical issues than a mixed breed of dog. So as long as the dogs you breed to the wolves are healthy, and vice versa, you should get healthy offspring. There isn't anything they are "prone" to. I guess since they are often bred to huskies and malamutes, they may be prone to medical issues that exist in those breeds.

But there are no problems that result solely because you're breeding a wolf to a dog.

Before you go with a breeder, you can ask about them here. :) You'll want to be sure you get the animal you want, and Cindy can really help guide you. Check out some of the posts started by Sarajeku in here. She has Echo and Kismet--both low content wolfdogs. If you like the look of her animals, then probably what you're wanting is a low content or a no content (in other words, maybe you are mostly attracted to the northern breeds).

You may also want to take a peek at Tamaskan dogs. They're a new breed that many people think looks wolfy, and you may like them. It was discovered recently that the Tamaskan breed does have wolf blood in some of the very original founding stock, so I guess technically the breed wouldn't be pure dog (but all dogs have wolf ancestry, so not really anything too different there). They are doggie-dogs personality-wise though and make really great pets. We have a member here who breeds them; he goes by "Tarheel." He hasn't posted in a while though, but probably if you posted in some of the Tamaskan threads he might drop by.

Good picture of Tamaskan in case you're interested:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tamaskan+dog&biw=1366&bih=653&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NMqWVeERy8i1BdraotAC&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=C7RTHa-OpCFSBM%3A
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi there! I'm not around this forum as often as I used to be but I try to drop by a couple times a week.
My two lows are awesome. They are a bit more challenging than the "doggy" dogs I've had, but by far not the challenge a mid or high content would present.

Right now, Kismet (the puppy) is inside full time, and Echo is indoor/outdoor, as he can't be trusted inside when he can't be supervised.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Kismet is SO cute! I love the picture where she's playing with Echo.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Cindy, are you serious that those puppies are that young? :O
The first pup looks ~3 weeks old to me, and the second one ~6 weeks.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:56 pm

She said the second picture is 6 months, not 6 weeks. ;)
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Yes the first pic. is Loki at 10 days old when his breeder was pulling him from his mother to bottle feed. His eye's hadn't even opened yet. This one.

and then this one, yes she was 4 weeks old and 6 years . I had gotten her when she was actually 3 weeks old, this was a week after I had gotten her.

The babies are usually decent size, high contents normally do not have huge litters, Selene was out of a litter of 4 and Loki was in a litter of 3. Its also usually how some of the hc breeders that fly pups get away with lying about puppies age when shipping them, because they are so big.
This is Selene at 12 days old before her eyes opened

Loki the day we got him home at 4 weeks old
Last edited by Cindy23323 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Violet wrote:My goodness, your babies are beautiful! Thank you for providing photos that demonstrate how the coat color changes. I prefer the wolfish look, but more of the dog personality. So mid to low grade is my best bet then. I'll definitely have the animal altered. I was looking over breeders, and they mention that the puppies they sell have been bred from stock that is proven to be seizure free. Does that mean that wolf dogs are more prone to seizures? Or is it just a precaution to ensure and prove that the pups are healthy?

What breeder was it that you looked at that said that? Because no they are definitely not prone to having seizures. There is a ton of lying breeders out there that give so much false info, you have to be really careful. There is even one lady who tries to tell people to give her pups cat vaccines, and to feed them rocks mixed in with they're food, and that wolves are decended from lions. Calls her pure dogs, pure wolves.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”