https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

The humane society had coy dogs

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Chipmom

The humane society had coy dogs

Postby Chipmom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 pm

http://m.humanesociety.org/news/news/20 ... 82511.html

It's an interesting read, I hope the link comes out.
Juska

Re: The humane society had coy dogs

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:10 pm

The HSUS doesn't have them - a sanctuary does. Just remember the HSUS doesn't actually operate one physical shelter in the USA, they just hide behind the "humane society" part of their name so people assume they build and run shelters. Your local humane society is not affiliated with them at all.

The article says "Both facilities are owned and operated by The Fund for Animals and The Humane Society of the United States." but the Fund for Animals website says it "was founded in 1967 by prominent author and animal advocate Cleveland Amory.", who in 1962 joined the board of directors of the Humane Society of the United States for 8 years. The Humane Society didn't join on as a real partner to this sanctuary until 2005. So they didn't found it or really own anything. They're just tagging along to look good.

"When they arrived at the center as coyotes, they were fed a diet of rodents, fallen fruit, berries and acorns—food they would naturally find in their habitat. Their food was never served in a bowl—a technique used to discourage them from seeking back yard pet food. Now, they eat dog kibble out of a dog bowl."

Yes because now that they're part dog, their nutritional needs are totally different and they shouldn't get raw meat or other foods...lol
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:39 pm

I saw this article too. It's really cool. I agree with Juska though that I found it strange that they suddenly changed their diet to dog food just because they have a tiny percentage of dog blood in them. They look to be high-content coydogs, so they would have the same nutritional needs as pure coyotes. Also, I hate when people say that hybrid animals are "confused" because they are mix of two different species, like this article says. Animals are not confused about what they are. They just are what they are. To say they are "confused", is personification and anthropomorphizing, which is alright for fictional animals, but not a very healthy attitude to have towards animals in real-life.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:47 am

I think they are half dog half coyote?? Either way it was confusing to me how they changed the diet.
I know that that they went to a sanctuary, I tried to follow up on finding any article updates on them but I haven't found anything, not to say that there isn't anything out there, just I haven't found it.
I thought it was an interesting read, so I figured I'd post it here.
I love to read about animals, mostly the canine catagory.
I also love, love, love hyenas!!! Though I know they are not canine, I would love to have one someday, I know it isn't possible for me though.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:03 am

caninesrock wrote:Also, I hate when people say that hybrid animals are "confused" because they are mix of two different species, like this article says. Animals are not confused about what they are. They just are what they are. To say they are "confused", is personification and anthropomorphizing, which is alright for fictional animals, but not a very healthy attitude to have towards animals in real-life.

Haha, you mean like the animated movie Balto? Yeah it doesn't really portray how animals really think/feel. They don't know they're a mix of two different species, and even if they did I seriously doubt they would care :lol:
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 pm

I love the movie Balto. I grew up watching. I still know that its nowhere near an accurate protrayal of wolfdogs.
The second one is even worse because somehow he has a nearly pure wolf daughter even though he himself was only half wolf and his mate Jenna was a purebred husky, so had both before and genetics wrong in that one as well. Yet, I still love the second one just as much as the first, but, wolves, even if Aleu's appearance makes make sense. Now, the third one, well, I don't even want to get into how I feel about that one.

On another note,it would be cool if they made a movie about a coydog. I would watch that.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”