NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Are Wolfdogs Technically not Hybrids?

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sparttan117

Are Wolfdogs Technically not Hybrids?

Postby Sparttan117 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:30 pm

I recently found out that the domestic dog (canis lupus familiaris) is scientifically classified as a subspecies of the grey wolf (canis lupus). Would that mean that a wolfdog isn't a hybrid because both of the parents were the same species? This could just be me overthinking everything (in fact, it probably is), but if wolfdogs aren't hybrids, since most laws regarding wolfdogs regard hybrids between wolves and domestic dogs, would wolfdogs not technically have any special laws because they're not technically hybrids and legally have to be treated the same as domestic dogs?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Wolfdogs Technically not Hybrids?

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:23 pm

This is a difficult question, because it totally depends who you are talking to. Sometimes the dog is referred to as "Canis Familiaris" which means it's a different species entirely. I personally do not agree with that, but that's me. Unfortunately, lawmakers can and do have laws against hybridized dogs regardless, but depending on the wording of the law and the scientific name of the domestic dog they choose for their law to follow, they can and are still banned.

I personally stay away from the term "wolf hybrid" for the reasons you specifically stated. And use the term "wolfdog" instead.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Ash wrote:Sometimes the dog is referred to as "Canis Familiaris" which means it's a different species entirely.

The problem there is that the dog has been proven to be the same species as a wolf. The scientific name canis familiaris is outdated. The modern classification of dogs is canis lupus familiaris according to College Board in their Advanced Placement Environmental Science class, in organisms that sexually reproduce, if two organisms can breed and produce fertile offspring (fertile as in their offspring can have offspring of their own), they are biologically the same species. Even if you call them separate species (which I understand you personally don't Ash), they aren't. In the words of William Shakespeare, "What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

I just wish that lawmakers would wake up and base the laws that we live by on objective science that is proven rather than personal preference and belief. :wall:

Edit: formatting
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Maybe, kinda, but not really. Species vs Subspecies is not that cut and dry. There's no exact line. There's several factors weighed then the decision is kind of arbitrary. (I know there's a self appointed group that "regulates" naming but sometimes the classification of subspecies or not seems to change as the wind blows).

New science also say dogs did not evolve from wolves but both evolved from a previous more ancient species which more likely makes them similar closely related but separate species. https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/ac ... ted_wolves

Doesn't really matter either way if the law says they ban a hybrid of wolves, using hybrid instead of mix doesn't invalidate the law just because they are technically listed as subspecies. If the law was science based then they would just ban wolf mixes rather than just not banning them due to hybrid being invalid.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm

The word hybrid can be used with subspecies as well. I believe that the Domestic Dog and Wolf are separate subspecies of the same species. In this case, they are a hybrid. Sort of like a hybrid between the Zabu type cow and the European type cow. Technically they are genetically distinct, but not enough so that they are considered separate species.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Taxonomically/scientifically, they are not. Legally, for ownership/licencing/ban purposes they are.
1.5 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.3 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”