please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

My sad wolf story.

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Alida_Lykaois

My sad wolf story.

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

*** Also posted in Pet Stories ***
(Since this is a specific pet subject, I wanted to share this story on the board with fellow Wolfdog owners or ones who are in love with these beauties.)

I posted my Introduction and now I figured I would tell my Pet Story.

I figured the question would come up about pets.
Do you plan to adopt any, or have you had any?
The answer is yes.

Around November 2009, I got the idea to buy my boyfriend a wolf in May (since we live together and he is in love with wolves.) I found the perfect place to adopt my wolf pup, and he thought I was crazy, but he loved him. He was $600. We named him Loki Wayah. (Loki is a form of a Joker or Jester, and Wayah is Wolf in Cherokee.)

Everything was perfect, and he even had his shots. Three months down the road, he kept getting in the trash. It was not a big deal, but we had our other dogs outside. We decided to leave him out there, just to get used to the heat and play with the dogs. Bad idea.

Only a mere week later, he was found in the cage and had passed away. He was exactly 3 months old and a week away from my birthday. I was absolutely mortified. There was no indication on what caused the death. It had rained that day, there were no bites on him, and he was happy and wagging his tail during lunch-time.

I hate to try and wrap my head around it. I'm not the one to experience death except once before when a puppy died from Parvo. I knew it wasn't that, and the only explanation would be heat, but it doesn't make sense since it was actually raining and he had a full tub of water in the pin.

All I know is, my boyfriend said he's always had bad luck in this house with animals. So, go figure, he tells me this now, after the fact, right? We even had him sleeping in the bed with us, although he wasn't listening to us when we were trying to potty train him.

I told him I will look into housing wolves again, just once we move out out of this house. We have two other dogs (Pug and a small mix). Once we move, I plan to actually step up a more enclosed fence away from pests roaming around and having a doggy door so that they can cool off inside whenever need be. Next time around, I plan to get two. I can't wait to move, whenever that may be. I love these creatures. They are so loving and sweet natured.

(In my introduction, I mentioned my username means "A winged wolf." This is a name that I created out of Latin and Greek wording, dedicated to Loki.
Attachments
three1.JPG
Loki when he was 2 to 3 months old.
*A winged wolf.*
Lasergrl

Re: My sad wolf story.

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm

It could have been heat, doesnt sound like the situation was right for that though. You think heart disease with very young animals just suddenly dead.

FYI and you may already know this, but that pup has ALOT of husky or malamute in it, I would say, around 50% but its hard to say at that age. The reason it may be important to know this is because, the less wolf in it, the less behavioral problems. So, what you were dealing with was not nearly what you may deal with if you end up getting a full wolf later. And that is also ok as long as you know what you are getting into. Another important reason is because in the texas heat you probably dont want one with malamute in it, because, they can get heat stroke from the heavy heavy coat.

We see wolf dogs where I work and infact there was one maybe 75% in today getting her teeth cleaned. It was funny to me because I was the only one who could handle her. No one understood that the growls and noises she was making werent really aggressive like in a dog dog. Everyone was afraid of her. And thats ok too, because a wolf dog can kill someone if it so descided.

I guess next time, you'll just want to make sure you have the yard set up just right before bringing home another. They need an 8 foot fence, and they need it buried or they will dig out. They cant be tied up or they get aggressive. They are very very destructive in houses, as in the chew up dry wall and dig up flooring. Huskies can be like this too though, so really its just a husky on hyperdrive :mrgreen:
Alida_Lykaois

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Thank you.

He did actually have Alaskan Malamute in him. The owners told me that King Solomon (the dad) was Tundra Wolf with only a little (can't remember percentage) of Alaskan Malamute. The mother, Nina, was complete Tundra Wolf. They put on the Registration that Loki was Alaskan Malamute, but in the registration number, they have the exact percentage of Wolf, which they put him down as 96%. Maybe they were wrong?

Either way, I do plan to take a great deal of work making sure that nothing of the sorts will happen the next time around. The larger fencing and dog door is a must, and I never have and never will tie one up, specially not a wolf. I researched a lot before purchasing him, and will continue the research before purchasing another.
*A winged wolf.*
Alida_Lykaois

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 pm

I apologize, King Solomon was a Timber with Alaskan Malamute and Nina was full Tundra. For some reason, I always want to say the opposite. The pictures of them are below. Maybe you can distinguish the Malamute in the father? I have been around Huskies, but am not familiar with noticing the percentages between the Malamute and Wolf.
Attachments
nina.jpg
Nina (Tundra)
king.jpg
King Solomon (Timber w/ Malamute)
*A winged wolf.*
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:15 am

Hi,

Please please dont take this badly, but Nina is a very low content wolf. If I have to say, I would say she is at least 50% german shep. I would also guess husky, maybe a little mal. To call mom anything more then 25% wolf is a stretch. Dad looks mid to high content.
I am going to guess your puppy, as a low to mid content wolf dog.

Tundra wolves are not in private hands to breed to dogs anyhow, and even if they were they are not solid white, they are light agouti, so you dont get solid white wolves. Its one of the ways to tell a fake. Also has a very doggy head and body. She has wolfy legs though.

http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/misrepresentation.htm

http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/wolfdogscomparison.htm

Hope this helps you to choose a really great breeder!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:20 am

White german shep:

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/WhiteGSD.jpg

http://www.out-and-about-with-your-dog. ... 182619.jpg

here are some white shps, that actually make that arctic look like a pure shepherd!

Actually get a low content wolf dog that is half shepherd wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. they make for better temperment then the husky/mal crosses.
Alida_Lykaois

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I have not taken this badly or offensively at all. I figured that since they said they have been raising wolfs for the past 20 years, they would know.

I planned on going back and purchasing another wolfdog from them, but they told me that one of their dogs just passed away the day after, for no reason, just like my pup. It wasn't one of my pup's parents, but it's very odd to have the exact same thing happen without more of a reason behind it.

I actually found http://thornlandwolfdogs.zoomshare.com/0.html where an owner showed the pictures of her wolfdog on this board. Within the couple of years, I have the time to have all the must have necessities along with a great environment.
*A winged wolf.*
Alida_Lykaois

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:35 pm

My top selection would be the site above; however, I'll keep my options open to other sites, and spot ones that are mentioned on these boards (which help a lot.) I don't mind taking a road trip to pick one up.
*A winged wolf.*
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm

There are no "percentages" in wolf/dog lineage, only estimates that breeders and people with experience can make. If someone tries to convince you the "percentage" of a wolfdog, they're lying, they have no idea because it's impossible to tell.

If someone says "low" or "high" content, like Lasergirl said, that's about as sure as you can be with content. People try to convince buyers that "my pups come from purebred wolves/they're 95% wolf/they're half wolf", and it's all just a sales pitch to get you excited about having a wolf as a pet. They really don't know, so don't be fooled, even if they have "papers".
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:43 pm

The breeder of your pup was Wolf acre kennels, he is a known rip off artist selling low content pups as high contents. The female looks like almost a pure white gsd and the male has a awful lot of mal in him. Highs will not have rear dew claws, curly tails, blue eyes, born with masks, white starts on theyre head, white stockings or socks, pups are always born darker grey, even white pups are not born white.

It was me that you seen post a pic of one of my animals, but i am not thornland wolfdogs, she is the breeder of my female Selene and has the right to share my pics of my female on her website, to be able to show how her puppies have turned out
Alida_Lykaois

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:The breeder of your pup was Wolf acre kennels, he is a known rip off artist selling low content pups as high contents. The female looks like almost a pure white gsd and the male has a awful lot of mal in him. Highs will not have rear dew claws, curly tails, blue eyes, born with masks, white starts on theyre head, white stockings or socks, pups are always born darker grey, even white pups are not born white.

It was me that you seen post a pic of one of my animals, but i am not thornland wolfdogs, she is the breeder of my female Selene and has the right to share my pics of my female on her website, to be able to show how her puppies have turned out

Thanks! I wish I had known that beforehand, but I had done a lot of research, then actually planned on who to buy him from on last minute. I wished I had thought out that part- moreso, also.

I did see the pictures of your pup and she is beautiful! I noticed that you did see that she was from Thornland so I will definitely look into them the next time around in a few years or so. Thank you again, it does help a lot to know what to look for when going into buying the pup.
*A winged wolf.*
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm

There's also another forum that you might want to check into, its a wolfdog forum with loads of wolf and wolfdog owners on it. If you had any questions about anything about them, I'm sure someone would be happy to help
http://wolfdogforum.com/forum/
Alida_Lykaois

Postby Alida_Lykaois » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll just stick to replying to this one.
I do tend to have a bad choice of words at times, and speak off the first thing that comes in my head.

I will definitely keep that forum close, and read every post on it first before jumping ahead like I did before.
*A winged wolf.*
kiradelenor

Postby kiradelenor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:35 am

I have see this site and if you look at ALL their adults you can see that they deffinatly have wolf in them http://www.wolfacrekennels.faithweb.com/photo.html and i don't think what your dog died of was gentic so it was not the breeders fault the dog could have either been poisened or gotten in to somthing that posiened himi had a german shepard that died that way (btw nina does not look like a shep sheps have wider chest areas and wider hind quarters this is just what i think though) i don't think he had a hart issue because you would have seen a problem prior death that is what i think

I had a hybrid for awhile his name was riddick and he died june 30 2012 of autoimmune hemolytic anemia i learned a lot from him

Hybrids are smart stubborn and they can be one of the most difficalt dog you ever own i just depends on how much wolf is in him and how much you socialize them. They also can have A LOT of health issuse it is never a sure thing.
***DON'T LOVE THE DOG BY HOW MUCH WOLF HE/SHE HAS IN HIM LOVE IT BY HOW THEY ACT AND HOW THEY LOVE YOU!!!***
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:48 am

Wolf acre kennels look like they have mostly low content animals, no where near high contents. And true wolfdogs generally are very healthy.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”