PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

German Shepard and Coyote accident.

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

German Shepard and Coyote accident.

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 pm

I had a neighbor who had a female German Shepard and when he left it alone in the yard for a while, A wild Coyote somehow managed to get in the yard and actually mated with the German Shepard. A few months later or so she gave birth to pups that were Coyote-German Shepard mix I find this interesting though the German Shepard's Coyote boyfriend I like to call him sometimes came by and watched over his mate and pups but he kept his distance. What a great Dad! lol. My neighbor was able to keep one of the Coydogs but he gave the rest away to some shelter I believe. Have any of you guys had a scenario like this or know of any people where their Dog mated with a Coyote or any other wild canine like a wild Wolf maybe?
Alynn

Re: German Shepard and Coyote accident.

Postby Alynn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Wow, that's pretty amazing. You'll have to tell us how the Coydog acts. I wish I could have seen it.

I have not personally experienced or heard of such a thing, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coydog
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:26 pm

The wildlife refuge I work at has a coydog. She was confiscated as a pup from her owner because they're illegal as a pet in our state.
Shelters here put them to sleep immediately because they're considered wildlife. It's very sad.
She's such a sweetie. She's one of my favorite residents.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:40 pm

The new proposal for Utah's new law allows coydogs. :mrgreen: How does the one act that you work with, Sarajeku? I haven't heard much about them. I've worked with a coyote, but not a coydog?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:21 pm

A friend has an old coy-dog. They are usually bred for in captivity. Wild coyotes are more prone to eating dogs than mating with them but it could happen. Some young critters can get pretty desperate to mate.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:04 pm

She's very gentle and loves attention. She doesn't do well on a leash or we'd probably use her as an ambassador. She does have quite the prey drive though, and if a chicken or bird gets into her enclosure, she'll kill it. She doesn't get along with other dogs, coyotes or wolves. So she's alone in her enclosure.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am

I always wanted a pet coydog ever since I first head of them a couple of years back. I hear they're even more wild and unpredictable than wolfdogs though and that they are harder to take care of than even wolfdgs supposedly. Also, as far I know, they only happen in accidental breedings. I've never heard of a coydog breeder.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 pm

That could be because wolf dogs can be low, mid, to high content and most people who think they have wolfdogs have low/no, so they seem super easy. I don't know anybody who breeds coydogs, so if there ever was a breeding, it's going to be a first generation puppy and therefore have more coyote in it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Ash wrote: I don't know anybody who breeds coydogs, so if there ever was a breeding, it's going to be a first generation puppy and therefore have more coyote in it.

The coydog at wolf run is a first generation. She's half coyote. icon-smile
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Songdogs used to breed them.

Most of the time coydogs really are just dogs. They do exist though, if you browse any trapping r taxidermy forum you will see many examples. If anyone says that their "coydog" is a great dog they have a dog and not a coydog. They are quirky, and more high strung and nervous then a wolfdog.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Sundance Ranch also breeds them. There are pictures on the website.
http://www.coydog.us/
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:23 pm

sarajeku wrote:Sundance Ranch also breeds them. There are pictures on the website.
http://www.coydog.us/

I've seen that site before. I always thought they were a sanctuary, not a breeder. I don't see anything on their site about the selling or breeding of their coydogs.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 pm

It was posted on a different forum along with some other links. All I did was google coydogs.
You could always e-mail them and ask.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:53 am

Here's a really good link about coydogs too. Best page I've ever seen about coydogs, actually:
http://wolfdogproject.com/coydogs.html
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:54 am

I want one, but they seem harder to keep than even hc wolfdogs, so I'd just rather start out with a low, maybe mid-content coy. :roll:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”