PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

German Shepard and Coyote accident.

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Taj's mom

Re: German Shepard and Coyote accident.

Postby Taj's mom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 pm

When I lived in Arizona, I worked with a rescue that dealt with wild canine hybrids and I fostered a likely chow/coyote mix. That dog was extremely flightly, bold, defiant (same thing I guess), aggressive to small animals and had this look in his eyes that just made me nervous. He was a stand-his-ground type and if he didn't like what you're doing, he'd have no problem showing you. Very scary. One of the few fosters I've had I honestly recommended for euthanasia because of aggression and safety issues. Only the "rescue" didn't.

They said they'd "take care of it." Which meant meeting some 18 year old living in an apartment with his girlfriend who promptly put the dog in the back of his truck and drove off. That one was a serious liability and after that I stopped fostering for that group.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Splashstorm wrote:I want one, but they seem harder to keep than even hc wolfdogs, so I'd just rather start out with a low, maybe mid-content coy. :roll:

I found out the hard way that just because it's smaller does not mean it will be easier.
I had thought "heck I've raised really high content wolfdogs. Something like a fox or coyote should be a walk in the park compared to them" and found out that I was really wrong.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Wait, Cindy, did you say foxes were harder to handle than HCs ??? "monkshock:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Thats my opinion. I did have the wolfdogs first though and was used to how they were.
Desiree who is whitewolf011 on here owns high content wolfdogs and ended up getting a fox also and would agree also.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Oh.. I see. I have no experience with foxes, but I was just very surprised that they were so hard to handle. Can you explain why they are?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Lol its a long list.
They're just as good of escape artists as any wolfdog, if not better. I thought wolfdogs were smart but these guys are little rocket scientists.
They put off a really bad odor that will get on you're carpet, furniture, etc. etc.
They will get up and in you're furniture and build a nest and destroy it.
They litterally bounce off the walls. They are some major jumpers.
You think howling is loud? You havent heard anything till you hear a fox scream. I made a mistake when mine was little and would let her out of her pen at 6:00am when i got the kids up for school, thought it'd be a good time to socialize her while they were getting ready. What a big mistake, it put her on a schedule and she then thought even on the weekend that it was time to come out at 6am so no sleeping in. She would start screaming and lets just say it sounds like a crying baby but amplify it by x's 10. My mom heard her do it once and said that my neighbors are going to call social services on me, lol
She would steal everything especially my kids socks and hide them.
She was quite full of herself too, i could be sitting there eating a sandwhich and the brat would strut right up to me and snatch it from my hand, drop it and then snip me like i should of given it to her in the first place, then pick it up and walk off with it.
The list goes on.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:15 pm

LOL ohhh snap. They really sound boisterous! Good thing I am VERY tolerant when it comes to having my stuff destroyed (only by animals of course, anyone else, and I will be M A D :hin: )! I don't plan on ever getting a fox, but if I do, I'd want a domesticated tame fox instead XD

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 am

Splashstorm wrote:LOL ohhh snap. They really sound boisterous! Good thing I am VERY tolerant when it comes to having my stuff destroyed (only by animals of course, anyone else, and I will be M A D :hin: )!

Heh you say that now.. Until you smell some strange and pungent urine odor coming from inside your laptop. And one of your little "rocket scientists" has destroyed your Mac along with your finals. :icon-wink:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 am

LOL unless of course, the little foxeh is as adorable as Tod (fox and the hound :mrgreen: ) :bear:

ImageImage
futurefox

Postby futurefox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 am

cindy, are you talking about a red fox or a fennec? The screaming bit definitely sounds like a fennec. I love reds, but I wouldn't touch a fennec with a ten-foot stick.
Current caretaker of: a grumpy old cat, two squeaky guinea pigs and a bossy turtle.
Dream pets: domestic fox, gray fox, "regular" red fox, bengal cat
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:25 pm

The reds do screamy thing too. Not as bad but they do it too.

Not as loud but yeah
http://youtu.be/8n7Xm8jfqyw

But for actual screaming
http://youtu.be/UxLHUxzEoRU
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Yep I was talking about a red.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”