PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sulimov Dogs

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Sulimov Dogs

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 pm

The Sulimov Dog is a cross between a golden jackal and a siberian husky along with a few other breeds that were added after the Russian experimenters realized a first generation jackal cross wasn't tame enough. They're gorgeous,but unfortunately, there are only a few and they are all part of a Russian experiment and impossible or atleast near impossible to get, much like the domesticated siberian fox. Too bad Russia monopolizes all their cool animal creations. :(

Anyway, here's some screenshots I took of a Sulimov Dog from the Nat Geo documentary about them that was on Youtube:

Brown?/Liver? and White?/Tan?

Golden

Fur Close-Up:

Head Close-Up
Blue Merle?/Black Merle?
This one's my favorite. From the front,except for his blue eyes, he looks identical to an Australian Cattle Dog:

Here's a close-up of his fur on the back:

Head Close-Up

Face Close-Up

There was also a black and tan,but there weren't too many good pics of him.

I'd killed for one that looks just like that blue/black merle one as a pet.

Does anyone know if there's any possible way to get one as a pet? I know it would be extremely difficult,but is it possible?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Chase
Banned
Banned

Re: Sulimov Dogs

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Thank you for the pictures. Great animals! Do you happen to have a link to the NatGeo documentary about them?
I would like to see it.

The blue/black merle looks a bit like an Australian Cattle dog mix. I know it's a Sulivan dog, but, I was just saying this since you were interested in one that looked like that. I also think it is possible, but rare, to have one as a pet. I think you may need to get in contact with Ken's exotics and see what they can say, as he is able to obtain almost every exotic animal. :)
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Sulimovs (the breed) were made by a specific person. Klim Sulimov.

I don't think they're for sale.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 am

I have never seen one for sale, but I do think they can be sold by Ken's exotics. I mean, he can basically sell any animal, so why not Sulimov dogs?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am

Ken will only do special "errands" for someone if they have already worked through him before.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know Ash
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Your welcome. I believe that's what he said on his site at one point.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

How is Ken able to obtain all those animals?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

As a broker he has built up many connections and relationships with people. Since it's his job I imagine lots of his time is spent making those connections. Once you're well-established people will come to you to broker their animals for them.

EDIT: Now, I don't want to speak for Ken or anything, because I really don't know him. I just visit his site often and am on his facebook page, and that's it. So if anybody has questions about him, the best thing to do is contact him yourself. I've sent him messages a few times but he certainly is in no way a "contact" of mine. Just a little disclaimer. ;)
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Ash have you ever gotten an animal v.i.a Ken?
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 am

That's pretty cool. Seems so complicated but he definitely knows what he's doing. :]
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun May 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I found more info and videos on Sulimov Dogs. They are breed for an airport called Aeroloft as security dogs in Russia. There are only 40 of them total in the world. Apparently another name for them is also Shalaika. Also, they aren't part Siberian Husky,but instead part Lapponian Herder:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapponian_Herder

During the breeding process, male jackal pups had to be fostered on a Lapponian Herder bitch to imprint the jackals on dogs. Female jackals accepted male dogs more easily. The half-bred jackal-dogs were hard to train and were bred back to Huskies to produce quarter-bred hybrids (quadroons). These hybrids were small, agile, and trainable and had excellent noses. They were then called Sulimov dogs after their creator and may one day be registered as a working breed of dog. Twenty-five Sulimov dogs are used by Aeroflot at Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow, for functions which include bomb-sniffing. Their breeding program dates back to 1975, but was not applied to bomb detection until 2002.

The jackal-dog hybrids were bred together for seven generations to establish the breed. To improve trainability, other dogs were bred into the line: a reindeer herding hound, a fox terrier, and a Spitz. The result was an easily trainable dog with a superior sense of smell. Only about 40 of these dogs are in existence and they are all the property of Aeroflot. They are trained from puppyhood to recognize 12 components of explosives. Unlike more common sniffing dogs, they take the initiative in searching. [4]

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulimov_dog

Pic of Lapponian Herder which was the main founding breed of domestic dog though others were later added for trainablity:

Pic of Common Golden Jackal (Canis aureus aureus) which was the subspecies of jackal used in the breed:

Pics of Sulimov Dogs:
The one on the left looks alot like a collie but the one on the right was a much more jackal-like appearance.

These next few all appear to be of the same dog who has very jackal-like coloration:

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Y7pBN7toE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xT3bRup2U

What's sad in the second video is that the dogs seem to be kept in cages rather than getting to live in the houses or yards with their handlers and you can see them in pacing in the background. It kind of makes me feel bad for them. :(
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 31, 2016 1:56 pm

They look really neat-looking. :) I didn't really know what they looked like. Very pretty and cute doggies!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:32 pm

I know. They are gorgeous animals. It's too bad they are so rare and not allowed to be sold. I really want one. Not only are the absolutely gorgeous, but they are also the only dog breed that is part jackal.

Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm

I have always been fascinated by the canine crossbreeds and always had my hopes that someday these dogs would become available.
I would love to have a coy dog sometime if the future ever allows it.
In NJ you can have wolf dog hybrids, ( there are a lot here my friend had one too ) you can have foxes with a permit, but the Russian Tame foxes are hard to get I heard.
I read somewhere you have to imprint the male jackals onto female dogs because he won't choose a dog for a mate otherwise.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”